Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Akikiki! Can I hire you as my personal assistant? Ha! You are incredible! I left a message for Sue and I expect she'll call back tomorrow. Mahalo! (Btw, it's the one with the rain repellant).

Ah, that might be the problem. I've used the regular Invisible Glass as a windshield cleaner for both the Leaf and the Model S with no chattering or sticking issues. I also currently use Aquapel as my windshield prep and water flows off the windshield like nobody's business. :)

@jatk - I've read lots of other posts about new deliveries having the same tire warning issue. Must be some glitch in the programming that they'll hopefully fix soon.

Thanks all for the comments and feedback regarding delivery dates. I'm actually glad to hear the comments about the delays, as my garage won't be ready for charging until closer to the end of the delivery window.

Whoa !!!,, you mean you will start paying me? I've already been your personal assistant. I didn't know I was supposed to get paid too!!

Ref the Tire Pressure message.

First before you waste your time, their time, get yourself a good tire pressure guage. Check your pressure. On 19" wheels, the tire pressure should be 45 pounds. (That's very high). If its not 45, bump it up to 45. Tires loose pressure over time, like a balloon does. So eventually, you will need to check. Find a place where you can pump up your tires when needed.

Now, if your pressure is correct, and IF it happens again, next time you are at the SC, ask them to sync your TPMS control unit to each tire's TPMS. Takes them about 10 minutes. They have a hand held unit that assists them. It re-connects the signal from the internal control unit to each tire.

After they sync your system you will be fine if the pressure is correct. After that, if you see the error message, its a tire going down. Pump up the tire. If it goes down again, that's a hint you have a leak. Time to buy a new MS, that's easier.

Mine had to be done on each wheel after Barry took the 21" off and put a set of 19" on mine when I first took delivery. It only takes one to cause the error.

Jump in if you have something to add. I don't know everything even though I am an expert.
Definition of Expert: Let's break this down so it's more manageable.
Ex - (s)Pert. Ex = Former, Has-Been. sPert = Drip under pressure. Yep, dat's me. Ex-sPert.
:) :)

- - - Updated - - -

jatk, Bless your little ole heart. We are surely sorry and share you waiting pain. Honest.

Sooo pleased you like the car. That's great. It will only get better. BETTER !

For your pain, you have become officially the most recent Poster Child for Patience (PCP). Your mission is to watch for those others that need swallow, a cup, a pint or gallon of your patience to help them get through the wait. You know the feelin' They need you. (Its part time work, it will be easy to find the time.) Please. Just don't be bashful, we are here with ya. :)

Last edited:
Before everyone jumps on the extended warranty, you might want to read through the agreement first. There's a number of items that are excluded from the coverage terms, and over on the thread in the Ordering, Production forum, there's a good discussion on it. The short version is that I think a lot of people (and TM) are using the terms service agreement and extended warranty agreement interchangeably, when they are not.

There's a lot of unanswered questions on how TM will interpret the written provisions in the agreement regarding wear and tear coverage on the air suspension, and if maintaining TM annual service is required, despite Elon's comments in the media.

My $0.02 is that this agreement is no different than any other extended warranty coverage that a F&I guy would try and sell you in a dealership, and the usual advice and caveats apply. However there is a point to be made about the uncertainty of the long-term reliability of the electronics and computer systems in our cars vs. an ICE vehicle. If you're planning to keep the car long-term, $2,500 may be a bargain for peace of mind.

Ok, that' wasn't so short after all.....

I think my biggest concern is the PEM, given the issues that the Roadster has experienced. Admittedly, the version in the Model S is different than the Roadster and we might assume that Tesla has learned something from its experiences with the Roadster but $2500 to cover a many multi-thousand dollar part as well as various other components seems reasonable, given such a new car with no long term repair history. Who knows, it may turn out to be completely unneeded but for us, it's peace of mind.

Last edited:
Better Place owned those stations at Turtle Bay before they recently sold out to OpConnect. When Better Place owned them, you needed a Better Place fob (got one by signing up with them), and charging was free until April 2013, but it wasn't unlimited. There was a charge limit of 2 hours per day if I remember correctly.

I stopped using Better Place chargers even when it was free because the amount of charge was pitiful. If I remember correctly it was 208V/15A service, which got something like 8 miles of range per hour of charge.

Since OpConnect has taken over, I'm not entirely sure of their charging policy even though I signed up with them and got an OpConnect fob. Since Turtle Bay is probably the remotest destination on Oahu, OpConnect may have a one hour time limit and may give the first hour free.

I was out at Turtle Bay this past weekend and I tried using the chargers. They are located on the beach side of the parking lot near all the handicap spaces. I used my original Better Place fob and was able to get the charger to work. I thought the charger would turn off after two hours, but I was able to top off my car which took about 6-7 hours at 200V/15A which charges at about 9 miles of range per hour. I went back the next night to the same charger and swiped my Better Place fob. The charger beeped at me with a red light which meant no charge. So I tried the other charger right next to it and the fob worked. So I charged for another 7 or so hours. So it looks like there is no limit to the amount you charge now, but maybe you can only do it once a day per charger. I have no idea if I'll get billed for it later though. I'm guessing I won't, but wouldn't be surprised if I get a bill.

I used the charger at Restaurant Row today, in the parking lot, down the lane and to the left of the cashier booth on the ground floor. The LED screen gives you a number to call, and then prompts you through a series of keystroke entries. The first two hours are free, but you have to use a credit card, and they charge you 30 cents for the transactios. I don't know what the voltage is, but I got about 20 miles for about 45 minutes of charge. I don't know what the rate is after the first two hours.

Leeward, Cool. Nice info too. We all appreciate it.

I found that I too had a spray bottle of Invisible Glass w/ Rain Repellant. I sprayed my windshield down, and wiped it dry twice. Today we had a bit of rain. It seems when the rain is light, the wipers drag, just like you described. I like the run off effect, but naturally not the dragging. I am going to get a bottle of RainX and see if it helps. Just thought you would like to know, you are not alone with the same issue.

I have been using Rain-X and it seems to work pretty good without the dragging. I did this after watching the video comparing Rain-X versus Aquapel. Rain-X is cheaper and available at Walmart. May have to use more often.

Leeward, Cool. Nice info too. We all appreciate it.

I found that I too had a spray bottle of Invisible Glass w/ Rain Repellant. I sprayed my windshield down, and wiped it dry twice. Today we had a bit of rain. It seems when the rain is light, the wipers drag, just like you described. I like the run off effect, but naturally not the dragging. I am going to get a bottle of RainX and see if it helps. Just thought you would like to know, you are not alone with the same issue.

After Market Paint Armor

I had a custom after market paint armor job done by Auto Trim Hawaii, Sean Jones owner: paint armor on full hood, front bumper, front fenders and mirror backs plus black matted the chrome strips under the doors. Sean used the same film, Avery Nono-Fusion, on my car that Tesla uses for their factory installed paint armor. It comes with a lifetime warranty when he installs it.

I wanted to report the workmanship was superb and the price very reasonable.

Auto Trim Hawaii installed the paint armor for Tesla on the initial Model S's here before Tesla started doing them all at the factory. Sean told me he would install paint armor on any Model S per the factory templates (which he has) for a bit less than the $950 plus tax that Tesla charges for factory installation. IMO that's a great deal and I wanted to pass the info along.

I like the idea of having the paint armor done locally in case there are any bubbles (I had a few) that need fixing or other problems. You can also have the job customized to include the full hood or more, for extra money of course, and by having it done here you can have your car Glared first if you so wish. Their contact info is AutoTrimHawaii.com or 845-8746.
--------------

For those of you with silver cars, you might be interested in seeing the results of black matting the chrome strips under the doors. To my eye those chrome strips are close enough to the color of a silver Model S that it makes the doors look too long whereas on all the other colors they nicely delineate the bottom of the door. Of course this is in the eye of the beholder. Before and after pics:

Before matting chrome.jpeg

After matting chrome.JPG

noticed my wipers dragging yesterday during a light rain. Thought it was just because they were new, but sounds like a common thing.

Yes, sounds like its a common thing for the wipers to drag. I am oh so disappointed now. I thought that this was the absolutely perfect car. What to do, what to do? Well, I guess I will keep it after all. We all know what a struggle it's going to be, but with each other's encouragement and support we will make it (maybe).

Status
Not open for further replies.