Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlamp issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Have a P3D delivered in September 2019.

In March/April it started with my Left DRL/Parklight was on when i parked, it went on and off during the night, and Tesla replaced the headlight. Then the right one started doing the same, and went completely dark. So right one replaced.

Then shortly after in May, my left headlight went dark, no lights was working, and my windshield wiper went out also.
Was told it was a updated revision on the lamp, and got it replaced again.

Now, 2 months later left lamp went completey dark again. The car has been sitting at Tesla for a week now.

Anyone has similar experience with headlight issues?

There have been posts similar to yours on here and other Tesla/Model 3 fora.

Do you keep the lights on auto?

How often do you drive (especially night driving) and/or did leading up to March/April and May?

The fact that your wipers (assuming wiper motor/s) went out might point to some inherent 12V system issue (wiring, grounds, 12v battery)... which could also mess with the LED ballasts of your headlight assemblies. They can typically operate in a fairly wide range, but exhibit all kinds of odd behavior and failure patterns if seeing odd electrical input.

Nice. Isn't the use of ballasts, drivers, etc. a function of the design? Not required isn't the same as not used.

With the way Model 3 headlight assemblies are wired up, the large heatsinks and the relatively few and small COB LEDs, its likely they don't respond well to 12v rail fluctuations.

And since you've been designing circuits to drive LEDs for a few decades, why don't you help the OP with a useful reply, instead of asking a question you know one possible (even if common, likely) answer to?

No one would ever call the current limiting device of an LED fixture a ballast.

OP being that multiple things went out i suspect an issue with the electrical cabeling in your car, and not the headlight or it’s driver.