TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Headrest catches me in upper back, it won't go high enough

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by hallcp, Jan 10, 2019.

1. hallcp

hallcp Member

Does anyone else have this problem? With the seat upright and the headrest at maximum height, that lower tail of the headrest catches me in upper back and really hurts. The only solution is to crank the seat angle back a bit, but I'd rather be upright.

Any ideas on this one? Both sides are the same, so I think it's working as designed. Maybe I have some other seat adjustment in an odd position. I can't figure it.

Thanks for any comments or ideas!

Oh, I'm 6 feet tall...

Charles.

2. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

I feel you, 6'8" and can't get an X due to that (and being cheap). Spent an hour at the gallery trying to make it work. A pillow in the headrest/ seat gap was the best solution we found.

The 3 seats seemed fine though..

3. HostileHarry

HostileHarry Member

My father inlaw was driving my X over the Holidays and this was his biggest complaint. We tried a bunch of settings, but the fact that the tail never goes flush at full height is the issue. Agreed that it's working as designed, but it's an odd design.

4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

It seems they built the seat for people who like to lay down.
    If you look at if from the side, the headrest sticks out 3-4 inches, where flat would have been my preference.
    There was someone who took it out, carefully bent the supports and put back in.

• Like x 1
  5. mxnym

mxnym Member

Unfortunately, I can only match the chorus you're already hearing. At 6'1" I have this problem as well. Poor design, plain and simple. I also leave the seat back a bit further than I prefer to deal with this.

• Helpful x 1
  6. Sparrow

Sparrow S105/ Roadster 189

Thanks guys. I should never have tried to figure out what you were talking about. At 6'2", I never really noticed this issue, so I had to check it out. Sat in the car and sure enough I can feel that lower part of the headrest sticking out. For me it does tend to go between the shoulder blades so it is not as noticeable as it seems to be for others, but now I know it is there. Wondering if the added support between the shoulder blades would help with whiplash.

I am hoping I can forget about it and go on in ignorance.

• Like x 1
  7. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Did you know your tongue fits in your mouth?
    Oh, and don't forget to breathe.

Misery appreciates company...