Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated seat. Am I the only one that wants butt off option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chopr147

Apr 3, 2016
Wantagh, NY
OK So I do love having heated seats but it seems most heat the whole seat. I would rather have the option of back/bottom heat. These type of seats are made. My 2008 Yukon had the option and I never even used the bottom heat. The back heat was awesome for my lower back pain. I would even use it in the summer.
My wife's Lexus-nope. (3 of them) Daughters Jeep-nope Sons Pontiac-never mind it's old :)
Why is it with so many options given on cars ,this is not one of them. One of the few disappointments with my Model S.
I assume the X is the same. Or am I just too picky?

I also believe that once the car is driving it should default to OFF if nobody is sitting in the seat.

Negatory. Last weekend i got some take away food from a burger joint that I placed in my passenger seat with heat=3. Long drive, extremely cold weather (in and out of car with meals). Too light to be registered as human by the sensor

You are not, took delivery Tuesday - and realized that limitation last night. For a 4 year old design there are many (very cheap and easy to resolve) things which are still not right;

No standard storage (BS on a $80K plus car)
No cup-holders in the back (ditto)
No standard arm rest/console in the back (more excusable, but most ford/chevy's have them)
Cheap mats - this one really annoys me - the carpets fine, just no protection.
No premium liners in stock at POS to replace cheap mats so not even an upsell
Dim, really dim LED lighting (trunk/frunk especially)
No $40 of LED should not be a 'premium lighting option'

Don't get me wrong I love the car, just cannot understand why these 'noise level' issues have not been taken out of the first impressions - for what $200-$500 cost (except the redesigned rear seat armrest - but it's not like that's rocket science).

Reactions: GQbed
**** GEEZER REMINISCING ALERT ****

Years ago, when shopping for a new car, the Saab salesman touted the butt warmers in their car seats (makes sense for a Swedish brand). However, as a young man at the time, I was concerned about the possible effects of its use on the driver's fertility (much like the more recent warnings for men not to operate their laptop computers on their laptops).

Now that I'm a grandpa (and no intentions or plans to swap my current wife for a trophy one), that's no longer an issue. :)

You are not, took delivery Tuesday - and realized that limitation last night. For a 4 year old design there are many (very cheap and easy to resolve) things which are still not right;

No standard arm rest/console in the back (more excusable, but most ford/chevy's have them)

Don't get me wrong I love the car, just cannot understand why these 'noise level' issues have not been taken out of the first impressions - for what $200-$500 cost (except the redesigned rear seat armrest - but it's not like that's rocket science).

If you took delivery recently you should have back cupholders - they are hidden in the back of the console. If you push they will appear. I agree with your whole list. Hopefully an interior update is coming.

Reactions: UnbeknownstToAll

I ended up getting the Abstract Ocean LED kit and just upgrading the whole bunch myself. I agree the LED's are pathetically dim, but for a cool $169.99 and a couple of hours of crawling around, harness hunting and hole cutting the end results are definitely worth it as I can actually find stuff in my trunk now.

They sell aftermarket cup holder kits for the back, ditto for the center console for storage.

Not saying this shouldn't come standard, but you haven't even got to the no tire pressure on the TPMS, no light on the visor mirrors, no cooled seats, no exit mode for the seats/steering etc. etc.

OK So I do love having heated seats but it seems most heat the whole seat. I would rather have the option of back/bottom heat. These type of seats are made. My 2008 Yukon had the option and I never even used the bottom heat. The back heat was awesome for my lower back pain. I would even use it in the summer.
My wife's Lexus-nope. (3 of them) Daughters Jeep-nope Sons Pontiac-never mind it's old :)
Why is it with so many options given on cars ,this is not one of them. One of the few disappointments with my Model S.
I assume the X is the same. Or am I just too picky?

I actually have one of those memory foam seat cushions in my Acura, and use the seat back heater to relax my back. I don't feel the cushion at all.

I find the cushion more comfortable when I'm spending 4+ hours driving around the state, which happens quite frequently.

May not be the solution you were looking for, but a solution none the less...:cool:

I ended up getting the Abstract Ocean LED kit and just upgrading the whole bunch myself. I agree the LED's are pathetically dim, but for a cool $169.99 and a couple of hours of crawling around, harness hunting and hole cutting the end results are definitely worth it as I can actually find stuff in my trunk now.

They sell aftermarket cup holder kits for the back, ditto for the center console for storage.

Not saying this shouldn't come standard, but you haven't even got to the no tire pressure on the TPMS, no light on the visor mirrors, no cooled seats, no exit mode for the seats/steering etc. etc.

I was trying to remember exit mode - doesn't really affect me with my 30" inside leg, but noticed it when a friend tried to get in. Fortunately they got around to pressure on the TPMS by Jan 2015 ... It's a process - but boy it seems a lot of people have been complaining for a long time. And all such cheap/small items. You only need a small amount of the brain and design power at Tesla to be told - just fix one a week for a few months ... not a distraction from the main game of automation, ridiculous (I mean ludicrous) acceleration and safety.

I was trying to remember exit mode - doesn't really affect me with my 30" inside leg, but noticed it when a friend tried to get in. Fortunately they got around to pressure on the TPMS by Jan 2015 ... It's a process - but boy it seems a lot of people have been complaining for a long time. And all such cheap/small items. You only need a small amount of the brain and design power at Tesla to be told - just fix one a week for a few months ... not a distraction from the main game of automation, ridiculous (I mean ludicrous) acceleration and safety.

A lot of this (which has surely been covered in these forums quite a few times) was due to Tesla having to raid the parts bins from various manufacturers and outlets, as a low volume car maker no one took seriously, so they couldn't exactly be very picky in the beginning about different features and had to work with what they could scavenge at the time.

The good news is, the improvements continue and the car gets better. And in all honesty, there literally isn't anything on my car that I'm missing right now that I seriously care about or would change my purchase decision in any way.

It does everything I want it to do and more. All the little things like LED upgrades and sensors are just a bonus, so I'll let them sort out the small stuff in due time.

**** GEEZER REMINISCING ALERT ****

Years ago .. the Saab ...

Years ago as a young employee the director of my division (my bosses, boss) asked for me to drive him and my boss about 120 miles to the new office complex which was being built. I thought "cool - it was a Saab 900 Turbo" - and it was summer in the UK (no A/C). After a few miles my butt started getting very warm - realizing it had heated seats I asked where the switch was - and found out why I was driving! Very uncomfortable 120 miles ...

• Funny
Reactions: Chopr147