Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heater Smell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys:

I don't know why but my MX heater smells like burnt rubber when it's on. AC worked fine. I brought this up to my service person last time and they said it was something a new car experiences and that the smell would fade away. Not really noticing a difference since I have owned the car in about 7 months. Should I bring the car in again? Now that it's winter time, heater is on more often.

Hi guys:

I don't know why but my MX heater smells like burnt rubber when it's on. AC worked fine. I brought this up to my service person last time and they said it was something a new car experiences and that the smell would fade away. Not really noticing a difference since I have owned the car in about 7 months. Should I bring the car in again? Now that it's winter time, heater is on more often.
I would definitely bring it in. What if the smell is from burning insulation? I've never experienced any odor like that in my X.

The heaters are electric resistive heat. They may smell “hot” or “burning” the first time they are used in a season. Dust and such from the summer may cook off of them all at once.

If it is all the time, it probably should be checked.