Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello from Utah

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I've got a new "metallic silver" aka charcoal blue (😋) Model 3 delivered on November 8. I am loving life. I'm a mom of 3 and a chauffeur by afternoon. :eek:) I recently took a solo long-distance trip of about 1000 miles round trip and learned some valuable lessons. The things I am puzzling about are the following:
1. How do I adapt to charge at a non-Tesla station? I have a Nema adapter and SAE J1772 Charging Adapter. They were useless to me on the trip. I still don't know what they adapt/attach to.
2. What type of charge can you do overnight at any person's house? Do either of the above adapters work for a typical home plug? If so, how?
3. What is the absolute lowest charge you've survived? What is the lowest you should ever let your car get to?

I had great success charging at Tesla charging stations along the way. The problem was my destination was halfway between two stations and I did a lot of driving around while there. It would have been such an anxiety relief to have been able to slow charge over night to gain just a little cushion on my sweat-drive the next morning back to the closest Tesla station. I stopped at an Electrify America station and had no adapters for it (I now know what kind I need, but still can't find one. They all seem to be for non-Tesla's to charge TO a Tesla station no matter how I put in the google search).

This is my second(?) post here so sorry if I broke protocol by asking too many questions in my intro. The internet is less helpful than I would have thought about all of this!
Thanks in advance! =)

Sorry you didn't get a response sooner. In fairness to the users here, most don't see introductions.

There are several non-Tesla connection types. The J1772 will adapt to most slower (AC) chargers. This is the most common, so I am surprised you had problems with it. In this setup the car converts the AC to DC itself, that is why it is speed limited. Higher DC chargers need a more complex and expensive adapter. In the past CHADEMO, now CCS. I would recommend getting the latter from Tesla when it will work with your car, which may take a few updates.

Overnight at a person's house I bring the mobile charger. Many owners bring a good (thick) extension cord, even though Tesla says not to use one. Many garages have 20A circuits (similar to regular outlet) and you can get that plug. The different higher power outlet types like for dryers and welders are also found at RV parks and really handy for road trips off the beaten path. Newer houses frequently have one of these higher power outlets in the garage just for EVs.

The cars are pretty tough. I have driven mine down to zero just for fun (but only once) and just borrowed an outlet from the house it stopped at. Keeping it fully charged for a long time before you drive it is much harder on the battery