Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello, new "used" model x owner with a few questions!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning, have some quick questions I need the help of experienced Tesla owners, as I really have no close friends that can guide me.

I recently purchased a used 2018 model X 100d gray/black with rear console and black rims and finally made my dreams come true! This car is awesome and great for my family, happy to be apart of the club.

My car has enhanced autopilot and premium connectivity already on it. I purchased it from a used car dealership in new york and from the car fax information I am pretty sure it was a lease that was acquired to the car dealership I am guessing at auction maybe, and the owner of the dealership used the car for a couple months before his 2022 Model S... once he got it he listed if for sale and I got it.

I would like to register the car to me via the app or tesla.com website so I can get the added benefits of the mobile app on my iphone however....

I have a few big concerns, questions.

1. Will I lose my enhanced auto-pilot if i register the car to my name via the tesla.com/ or mobile app? I don't want to lose that..

2. Will I lose my premium connectivity if I register the car in my name same as above... I see in the app/website settings there is a place to add my credit card... as of now I have nothing registered and no credit card so as far as I know its FREE right now. I'd like it to stay free!

3. Also, I went to two supercharger locations and was not charged at either time... $0.00, do I have free supercharging grandfathered in or something? If I register the car into me by supplying Tesla with the registration, and my drivers license... Obviously its another thing I don't want to lose.

4. I read the only way I can service the vehicle by Tesla is if I book it on the APP... I do have 30 more days covered under the 4 year/under 50k warranty... I am also scared that if I bring the car into Tesla for a checkup before my warranty expires they will disable the enhanced auto-pilot, the premium connectivity and the free supercharging that to me seems to be FREE.

What do you guys suggest I do?

- Should I just try to skate by without registering the car in my name and also not using the app in hopes these items remain free and keep my fingers crossed I never have to bring the car to tesla for service?

- Or should I register the car and get the app and take a chance nothing will change at all? Whats ur experience with this? Is it worth it to lose all this nice features?

- My car screen has an "upgrade" to the FSD subscription that says it needs to be installed... I see on the website since i have enhanced its $99 a month that I wouldn't mind trying out.. however since I don't have the APP i am screwed and can't subscribe.... this is one of the main reasons why I am making this post...

Thanks
_O

Reactions: Falcon73
Personally I wouldn't spend any money on FSD. Stick with EAP; just as functional IMHO. I have FSD on MY (regret that big time) and what is essentially EAP on the 2016 MS. Does everything I need to do. Navigate on auto pilot with FSD and other promised features are a waste of money (again, my opinion). There are threads devoted to the pros and cons. Enjoy the ride with or without FUSC. Three thousand eight hundred mile trip in the MS was about $300. I think that's reasonable

Upvote 0
I guess FSD computer will come with the Traffic Lights, and Stop sign.. so the car will stop and go.. where my EAP does not do that... more or less think thats a cool feature to have.... maybe its not that big of a deal? does the car stop and go with FSD with that? seems like the only big difference to me

Upvote 0
I guess FSD computer will come with the Traffic Lights, and Stop sign.. so the car will stop and go.. where my EAP does not do that... more or less think thats a cool feature to have.... maybe its not that big of a deal? does the car stop and go with FSD with that? seems like the only big difference to me
Is it worth $12,000 to you? Then go for that cool feature. Otherwise, I say make an informed decision and read the threads on FSD.

Upvote 0
Got the app, already made a server appt... looks like its a one time fee of 1000, then subscription 99m that I can cancel anytime...

But still its $1000 hardware upgrade.... I think its worth it for an upgrade as I am already at the service center fixing other items

Upvote 0
I wou
Got the app, already made a server appt... looks like its a one time fee of 1000, then subscription 99m that I can cancel anytime...

But still its $1000 hardware upgrade.... I think its worth it for an upgrade as I am already at the service center fixing other items
l would happily sell you my FSD cheap if that was possible. The red light/ stop sign stop is better in theory than practice- it can wait uncomfortably long before slowing down way too hard just in time to stop. It’s not enjoyable When that happens and it happens a lot.

Upvote 0
Okay well tesla service center doesn't actually do windshield replacement but they gave me the number of a local place they use and my insurance does cover it 100%.. I am surprised since its such an expensive windshield to replace.

They said they do it for them all the time and it will be done correctly..

I still have my service day scheduled for Sept 30th... my 4 year warranty is up Sep 27th, but they said since I scheduled on the app today it will be valid.

I am going to for some fixed that they said most of all would be free to fix.
- The screen yellow ring around the edges
- The charge port doesn't close all the way
- Lower trunk compartment latch broken
- LED lights on steering wheel on the right side are not working.
- Lower left bumper rear reflector cracked.
- They are going to check the tires/air filters
- I heard a couple times what sounds like to be a grind or "anti-lock" brake sound for a second when driving in the front suspensions that they will look at to see if anything needs to be replaced.

Is there anything else I should add typically to a 4 year old model x service call that would be covered under warranty? After this service visit I will be our of warranty and would be great to catch something that I might have missed and add it to this service..

They are trying to sell me on a 6k extended warranty for another 4 years.... thoughts? seems like a lot...

Thankx
-O

Upvote 0
Okay well tesla service center doesn't actually do windshield replacement but they gave me the number of a local place they use and my insurance does cover it 100%.. I am surprised since its such an expensive windshield to replace.

They said they do it for them all the time and it will be done correctly..

I still have my service day scheduled for Sept 30th... my 4 year warranty is up Sep 27th, but they said since I scheduled on the app today it will be valid.

I am going to for some fixed that they said most of all would be free to fix.
- The screen yellow ring around the edges
- The charge port doesn't close all the way
- Lower trunk compartment latch broken
- LED lights on steering wheel on the right side are not working.
- Lower left bumper rear reflector cracked.
- They are going to check the tires/air filters
- I heard a couple times what sounds like to be a grind or "anti-lock" brake sound for a second when driving in the front suspensions that they will look at to see if anything needs to be replaced.

Is there anything else I should add typically to a 4 year old model x service call that would be covered under warranty? After this service visit I will be our of warranty and would be great to catch something that I might have missed and add it to this service..

They are trying to sell me on a 6k extended warranty for another 4 years.... thoughts? seems like a lot...

Thankx
-O

X-Care is excellent. TMC discount I think.

Check all your windows, seat adjustments, test your doors, flip down your seats if you have them. Open everything. Make sure everything works, because if you don't do it now you will find out once your warranty expires.

Upvote 0
FUSC may not be a big deal for most. I maintain a spreadsheet of all of my charges including location, costs (or savings), Kwh used, etc. My March 2018 MX fully loaded has been charged mostly via supercharging because I travel a lot. After 4+ years and 56,000 miles, I charged over 20,000 Kwh DC at SuC and about 5300 KwH AC at home or other locations. My figures show I have saved only about $3,000 at SuC's based on MA electric rates. Not a small amount, but shouldn't be a decision maker on purchase of a new or used Tesla.

Reactions: Genie
Upvote 0
Question... if you have the 2.5 computer with Enhanced... and then upgrade to 3.0 / FSD computer, and stay with Enhanced.. is there any difference at all with the way the car drives/renders on the screen? Or do you have to also upgrade to FSD to see changes?

Thanks
-O

Reactions: BoldAuto
Upvote 0
FUSC may not be a big deal for most. I maintain a spreadsheet of all of my charges including location, costs (or savings), Kwh used, etc. My March 2018 MX fully loaded has been charged mostly via supercharging because I travel a lot. After 4+ years and 56,000 miles, I charged over 20,000 Kwh DC at SuC and about 5300 KwH AC at home or other locations. My figures show I have saved only about $3,000 at SuC's based on MA electric rates. Not a small amount, but shouldn't be a decision maker on purchase of a new or used Tesla.
I think it depends on your local rates. The cost for power at home and at the SC has been increasing. I double checked my SC charging stats for the last year and have saved over $3500.

Upvote 0