Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, Anyone knows electrical, this is 8/3 or 6/3 wire.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A6683A70-9B07-40C5-91A3-35A1F5791141.jpeg The text in wire not very clear.

The insulation has writing on it, might be able to see it there. Otherwise, whatever fuse was on the system originally is usually the highest recommended if that is where you are going...no one puts a 6/3 line in and a 15a fuse.

For a 240V car charger, you only use L1, L2 and ground. Neutral is not used, and thus not supposed to be connected. Ideally, one would use 6/2 wire, but it's harder to get.
Yes, I know the EVSE does not use the neutral. But if I were wiring this, I still would have connected them together in the disconnect box (and just left it unterminated at the ends). The OP didn't really specify where in the circuit this box existed (or that it was even used for an EVSE, I guess!).

Yes, I know the EVSE does not use the neutral. But if I were wiring this, I still would have connected them together in the disconnect box (and just left it unterminated at the ends). The OP didn't really specify where in the circuit this box existed (or that it was even used for an EVSE, I guess!).

So that was my thought too, but talking with electricians, they say the opposite. They want no surprises, and only conductors in use should be connected.

Certainly the ESA inspector that inspected my wiring was okay with it being disconnected (and safely terminated, I used wire caps).

Reactions: 03DSG