Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Car got whacked by a rug on freeway and paint scuff marks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving on the freeway a rug flew up and hit the side of my Y, there’s scuff marks on the passenger side mirror and passenger side of the car starting with the passenger mirror.

How do I get this fixed? Anyone in Bay Area CA can recommend something? Thanks!

this is the one time it's true: "it'll buff right out"
If you're up to it, get yourself a dual action polisher and some good compound, polish, and wax. I'd even do it for you if I were up north.
anyways, sounds like a good joke to be made about a defective flying carpet

Do you have any pics of the damage?
Here! Blocked out me since it was in reflection. This is just the side mirror

Attachments

• E280BAB1-8639-496E-B817-27CC5D760DC5.jpeg
    E280BAB1-8639-496E-B817-27CC5D760DC5.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 131
Here! Blocked out me since it was in reflection. This is just the side mirror
It’s really hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like most of that should buff out. Like gaswalla suggested, get yourself a random orbital polisher and some buffing compound and see what you can do. I have had really good luck with Chemical Guys’ VSS compound. You can find a decent polisher at Harbor Freight that won’t break the bank.

To all who posted here... so the plastic housing for the front fog lights and the black plastic connector for the side mirror are both scuffed. IS that something that can buff out or would I have to order the housing from Tesla direct? Scheduled a detailer for this Friday...

Since my headlights and side mirror plastic connector piece are both significantly scratched, do I initiate an insurance quote to get them fixed? Or contact Tesla mobile service to order parts, etc?

EDIT: The bodyshop said if they can't polish it away... they'll need to repaint which costs $3k...?

Last edited:
Since my headlights and side mirror plastic connector piece are both significantly scratched, do I initiate an insurance quote to get them fixed? Or contact Tesla mobile service to order parts, etc?

EDIT: The bodyshop said if they can't polish it away... they'll need to repaint which costs $3k...?
No, no, no!

I had something similar to our rear bumper. Called in a mobile auto paint guy. State of the art paint mixing system in the van. He came out, spent a couple of hours sanding, priming, and spray painting multiple coats. Looks as good as new. Cost $300.

You're in Sunnyvale. Kirk is in Hollister. I'm sure he'll come up to you. Give him a call.

No, no, no!

I had something similar to our rear bumper. Called in a mobile auto paint guy. State of the art paint mixing system in the van. He came out, spent a couple of hours sanding, priming, and spray painting multiple coats. Looks as good as new. Cost $300.

You're in Sunnyvale. Kirk is in Hollister. I'm sure he'll come up to you. Give him a call.

Wow this is amazing TY! I don't think there's anything that can be done to the housing itself though, right? I.e., the front headlight housing and the black piece that connects the side mirror to the body of the car? Neither of those are paint-related

Wow this is amazing TY! I don't think there's anything that can be done to the housing itself though, right? I.e., the front headlight housing and the black piece that connects the side mirror to the body of the car? Neither of those are paint-related
Sure thing; happy to help!

Right, Kirk isn't going to be able to do anything about those. The trim is probably pretty easy to replace. Heck, I chrome deleted our Model 3 myself. And if I can do it, anyone else can. The front headlight housing will need to be repaired or replaced.

Sure thing; happy to help!

Right, Kirk isn't going to be able to do anything about those. The trim is probably pretty easy to replace. Heck, I chrome deleted our Model 3 myself. And if I can do it, anyone else can. The front headlight housing will need to be repaired or replaced.
just curious how close to the original color was he able to match? I saw some yelp pics and some of them look quite... different. It could be due to lighting though

Identical.

He uses the paint code from Tesla, to mix a blend that matches the factory paint perfectly. The one way I could see there being a difference is if the original paint is old and faded.
I tried hunting for the housing and it seems I may have to replace the entire unit... Ebay has them for like $800. I found the part number from tesla part catalog but can't find a price. Any idea where to find OEm price from Tesla? Or I gotta walk into a service center