Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help for a dissertation about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TEG, outside of the obvious very first org structure for the company (Marc Tarpenning + Martin Eberhard), do you have any info from the Series A round and forward?

I wouldn’t be much help there. I passionately followed the early production ramp up on the Roadster and kept some track of the changes they were making but don’t have details on how the company was run.

A few observations:
#1: They used a silicon valley tech start up approach to build a disruptive company.
#2: Doing a car start up bordered on absurd and only the VCs with a lot of risk tolerance and trust in Martin’s business plan and Elon’s track record would offer them money.
#3: Between the founders, VCs, private investors and silicon valley engineering talent they could tap into, I think they had a massive amount of brain power to think through obstacles and re-invent processes. (Being able to find and coordinate the right mix of intelligence I think is a key part of their success)
#4: Many lesser companies would have failed many times by now. I think Tesla has had many problems that required creative thinking and fortitude to get through. There is a level of commitment that has required many to go above and beyond to keep them going. Other start-ups have come and gone trying to follow in their footsteps, but without the same ‘will to survive’. they don’t stand a chance of success.

• Informative
Reactions: bonnie
I wouldn’t be much help there. I passionately followed the early production ramp up on the Roadster and kept some track of the changes they were making but don’t have details on how the company was run.

A few observations:
#1: They used a silicon valley tech start up approach to build a disruptive company.
#2: Doing a car start up bordered on absurd and only the VCs with a lot of risk tolerance and trust in Martin’s business plan and Elon’s track record would offer them money.
#3: Between the founders, VCs, private investors and silicon valley engineering talent they could tap into, I think they had a massive amount of brain power to think through obstacles and re-invent processes. (Being able to find and coordinate the right mix of intelligence I think is a key part of their success)
#4: Many lesser companies would have failed many times by now. I think Tesla has had many problems that required creative thinking and fortitude to get through. There is a level of commitment that has required many to go above and beyond to keep them going. Other start-ups have come and gone trying to follow in their footsteps, but without the same ‘will to survive’. they don’t stand a chance of success.

already wrote kind of these things, thank you really much anyway for the observations and thanks to everybody for the help!

I think the approach (and similar at Space-X) is akin to the "agile" methodology used in the software industry, but not used in the traditional car industry.
They do less up front design, and more speculative experimentation to see what can work. Tesla and Space-X "refactored" their respective industries by starting over from a clean-slate, assuming that much old technology was unnecessary, and only going to the legacy experts when they hit a problem they were having trouble figuring out on their own.
Both companies are a great opportunity for someone with a bright idea that keeps being ignored by the establishment.
I think some people came out of there feeling like their ideas got sucked out of them, and then they were let go as no longer needed.
The legacy industries perhaps provided more expectation of job security and seniority from making a significant contribution, but I think Tesla/Space-X demand constant contributions or else you are not needed anymore. I think perhaps not allowing anyone to "rest on their laurels" keeps them innovating and full of fresh energy.
I think those can be tough places to work, but can be very rewarding if you have the right kind of energy to contribute.

If you have not already seen it, you might want to watch two movies that provide some context: "Who Killed the Electric Car," and "Revenge of the Electric Car" (more about Tesla itself in the second one, which is also more readily available). Probably not usable as academic sources, but enjoyable and may provide some avenues for investigation. The "Revenge" movie shows fairly vividly how close Tesla came to failing early on.