Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP: Key Card and App not unlocking Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my key card and phone app are both NOT working. Car appears to be completely dead and I’m locked out despite it being charged to 80% and the ChargePoint charger is literally still plugged in, but can’t unplug (it’s now been 7 hrs locked out). Based on some quick research it may be a 12V batter issue - is this common and what are the best solutions? Here’s more context:

-App isn’t working for both my wife and me - yes, even after closing the app, turning off our phones - app is working just not connecting to the car (just keeps trying to load/refresh and then fails to connect)
-Used both key cards too and no response whatsoever
-Sentry mode shut off and no connectivity (doors, AC/heater, trunk, frunk, flash, vent, etc)
-I have a 2022 Model Y from January with under 4K miles
-Always keep the battery between 50-90%, 100% only when driving further distance and been below 30% maybe two to five times

Any feedback or help is greatly appreciated! Extremely frustrated since it’s brand new and there’s not even the roadside option for “locked out of car” so had to leave my car in a parking lot.

Thanks in advance!

Similar thing happened to my January 2022 MY long range at a supercharger. Doors were open so no problem there. Called service right away, and they carried my Y to Fresno…..about 1 hour away…..making a long story short, the problem was a bad Inverter?. They had one in stock, and I got my car 2 days later…. No Cost…. Why didn’t you call Service in the first 3 minutes? They “diagnosed “? My issue over the internet within minutes, dispatched a tow truck, etc!!!

Upvote 0
Jan. was a transition month as some MY deliveries started to show up with the new batteries. It's not just a battery replacement as the new LI battery is actually a 15 volt battery and requires new charging hardware as well. If you check the spreadsheet at the link below you will see many Jan. 2022 built cars shill had the old lead acid 12v batteries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan. was a transition month as some MY deliveries started to show up with the new batteries. It's not just a battery replacement as the new LI battery is actually a 15 volt battery and requires new charging hardware as well. If you check the spreadsheet at the link below you will see many Jan. 2022 built cars shill had the old lead acid 12v batteries.

Upvote 0
Ugh…. I guess I missed something? I don’t do Twitter. How can I tell what battery my Jan 27 2022 MYL has?

The tweet instructed you to click on the software tab in your car display.

If you have AMD Ryzen Infotainment Processor, then you should also have 12V Lithium.

You then go to the area just below your windshield wipers. Lift the rubber cover up. You should also see a very different looking 12V Lithium battery.

Upvote 0
They cannot simply replace your stock 12V lead acid with the newer lithium ion battery. LiON batteries run at a different voltage (~16V) than lead-acid car batteries and they also require a different kind of charger that monitors and balances the cells to avoid over charging that can permanently damage the battery... This text is in the most recent Model Y Owner's Manual:

More details here: AMD Ryzen And 12V Li-Ion Battery Spotted In New Model 3/Y In US
Thank you, appreciate the info! Been so busy at work and home, haven’t had time to read and research, but expect this same info could be shared by Tesla’s service center 🤦🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0
Similar thing happened to my January 2022 MY long range at a supercharger. Doors were open so no problem there. Called service right away, and they carried my Y to Fresno…..about 1 hour away…..making a long story short, the problem was a bad Inverter?. They had one in stock, and I got my car 2 days later…. No Cost…. Why didn’t you call Service in the first 3 minutes? They “diagnosed “? My issue over the internet within minutes, dispatched a tow truck, etc!!!
Good to know, thanks! Roadside Assistance and Tesla reps couldn’t connect to the car, troubleshoot and access any data. But I got it towed it to a Tesla service center yesterday morning. I couldn’t even speak to someone at the Service Center beyond unhelpful messages through the App. They still have yet to provide any helpful information, despite one Rep saying it does appear to be the 12V battery. Oh and without being diagnosed they changed the projected completion date now to this Thursday not Friday, assuming they just readjusted because i was complaining about a loaner car and they wanted to keep it at 2.5 days not 3.5 since I’ve been told their policy on loaners is 3 days.

Upvote 0