Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide. 14-15 s85 or p85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks. A little back ground about myself.
I average about 30k miles per year easily. 45k-60k isn't going to break my budget either way.
I started out looking for a plain Jane 85 (45k) just because of value. Started looking into the p85d (60k) just because I can.
I know either way I will be taking a unreal hit on depreciation if I decide to sell with 60k more miles than I buy with, this would put my vehicle at abut the 120k mark. A hard sell for sure without a warranty on a 120K+ vehicle.
I am not very particular about vehicle color and options other than it has to have autopilot. If o start looking in the 60k range it must be white with light interior.
What should I do?
I am ready to pulll the trigger on a model s but keep flipping back and forth.
After all I do about 90% highway driving. Don't have a heavy foot but who wouldn't like to have the extra power just because.
Any advice from folks who were in the same boat?
Any leads to vehicles for sale in said budget would be great as well.
Thanks for your time.

Also depreciation for me is a big factor. I have never purchased a car over 20k for this reason. I buy luxury vehicles but let the first couple of owners that the big hit for me.
It's not that I can't afford a pricier vehicle but know that I'll be eaten alive by the miles I accumulated.

If you’re really thinking about depreciation, you should get a CPO plain Jane 85.

30k miles per year is plenty so I’d grab the lower priced S with juuuust above the 50k mark so you can get the 2-year up to 100k mike warranty. This way you can just pile on the miles.

Figure these factors,
Most options
Fun factor
Cost is not an issue
Some folks have a color issue
ROI, figure 10 yrs,
Lastly, please read all post on buying a CPO. No one has had a good experience lately. Most have not been allowed to see or drive cpo till it was paid. Tesla has a big problem with cpo purchases right now. Read the post.
I forgot, if you find one of town, make the deal, fly out to get it. Pay cash, you get a better deal. I got mine in Atlanta. Flew up, they picked me up. Drove the car, it was in perfect condition. Bought and took off on road trip. Mine has 122k miles, one broken door mechanism, i fixed. No other issues. I love the car, i go on road trips every month now.
Good luck.

Perhaps also drive both versions. The fun factor of the P is all about the launch from standstill, the non-P also gives you a mighty shove once at 30-40 mph, and possibly less to go wrong on a high miler, and slightly better range. BTW I moved from a non-P to a P version...

If you do a lot of highway driving and want the instant acceleration then the P85D will give you much more, especially at 60+ mph. Now the standard 85 is still a fast car but not as impressive when you punch it on the highway.

If I were you, I'd try both of them before. Lastly, and this is really a personal point of vue, I find that the P85D might actually hold its value better over time... there will always be someone interested in a car capable of doing the 0-60 as fast

FWIW, I've put on 112K miles in 5.5 years on my S85. I've not found it lacking in power on the highway. The P versions will likely come with 21" tires which are twice as expensive, last half as long, and are not as resistant to pothole damage as the 19" tires. You put on about 50% more miles than I do, so tire expense is something to consider.

Reactions: Zorg
My personal thoughts on the matter...

Is the price difference worth the potential regret? If you are not a regretful person and once you make a large purchase you can be happy with the results and not worry about having buyer's remorse, then the standard 85 sounds like it would be best for you.

However, if you are the type of person who will constantly be wondering, "what if I had sprung for the P85D instead?" you might want to go ahead and pull the trigger. If it is in your budget and you really want to avoid burying yourself in "what if's", I say go for it.

but who wouldn't like to have the extra power just because

This to me reads like you fall into the latter category. At the end of the day, it is not going to be a dollars/cents issue but rather a decision that will come down to what will make you happy. I think you will be happier going with want it sounds like you want, which is the P85D.

Obligatory disclaimer: This is all coming from a P100D owner with a permanent happy face :).

Regarding the tires @jerry33 is right for the 21 inches but you don't have to use them. I personally sold my 21 inch and bought 19's with michelin super sport as3 (as I remember) and on my P85+ (rear wheel only) I still do about 50 000 km's with them.

Me as well. The 21" to 19" tire size change that is.

Is the price difference worth the potential regret? If you are not a regretful person and once you make a large purchase you can be happy with the results and not worry about having buyer's remorse, then the standard 85 sounds like it would be best for you.

However, if you are the type of person who will constantly be wondering, "what if I had sprung for the P85D instead?" you might want to go ahead and pull the trigger. If it is in your budget and you really want to avoid burying yourself in "what if's", I say go for it.

This to me reads like you fall into the latter category. At the end of the day, it is not going to be a dollars/cents issue but rather a decision that will come down to what will make you happy. I think you will be happier going with want it sounds like you want, which is the P85D.

Obligatory disclaimer: This is all coming from a P100D owner with a permanent happy face :).

The way I see it is in about 10 years my battery will need replacement and my P85D will become a P120D. Battery capacities can come and go but my P will always be a P.

Hey folks. A little back ground about myself.
I average about 30k miles per year easily. 45k-60k isn't going to break my budget either way.
I started out looking for a plain Jane 85 (45k) just because of value. Started looking into the p85d (60k) just because I can.

After all I do about 90% highway driving. Don't have a heavy foot but who wouldn't like to have the extra power just because.

Thanks for your time.

I think you said it right there. Get the P and D, those letters are worth another 7.5K each.

Reactions: jorobsand
If you do a lot of highway driving and want the instant acceleration then the P85D will give you much more, especially at 60+ mph. Now the standard 85 is still a fast car but not as impressive when you punch it on the highway.

If I were you, I'd try both of them before. Lastly, and this is really a personal point of vue, I find that the P85D might actually hold its value better over time... there will always be someone interested in a car capable of doing the 0-60 as fast

You sir have said a lot in your post! The highway acceleration is more of my concern than 0-60. I am getting older now and dont race from stoplight to stoplight but on the highway I want something that will still have the oomph that I require. You may be pushing me towards the P version for sure!

Ah buyers remorse. I am one of those people for sure!
BTW I test drove a p100d, I see why that happy face is permanent!!
Although 15k is a lot of money to pay for the grin, its only money right?

Reactions: Nick B
If you’re really thinking about depreciation, you should get a CPO plain Jane 85.

30k miles per year is plenty so I’d grab the lower priced S with juuuust above the 50k mark so you can get the 2-year up to 100k mike warranty. This way you can just pile on the miles.

You maybe the only man of reason on the is post. You are thinking about my wallet. Spend it if youve for it right?

Me as well. The 21" to 19" tire size change that is.

The way I see it is in about 10 years my battery will need replacement and my P85D will become a P120D. Battery capacities can come and go but my P will always be a P.

Excellent point

I think you said it right there. Get the P and D, those letters are worth another 7.5K each.

That sure does sound like a nice chunk of change for a couple of letters!

BTW, I would definitely be changing out the 21s for 19s if I go with the P version due to the large amount of highway miles.
I am already giving up my Lexus (which i love dearly) to switch to something which has less than half the comfort options that I am used to.

I am open to more suggestions by people.
But if someone comes across a p85d in white with any interior besides black I would be a serious buyer. Just a click under 50k would be ideal. willing to fork out 60k.

On a side note. I have seen the prices of p85d coming down significantly. There is talk of more vehicles flooding the market soon.
Should I hold out a couple of months to find a deal, especially since I need a specific color.

I was in a similar situation. Do about 25k miles a year but decided this time around to not go with a 4runner or explorer. I decided to go for a CPO 2015 with unlimited supercharging to allow me to spend the same on a monthly basis, but drive a much nicer car. My criteria were autopilot, panoramic roof, nexgen seats, and wanted air suspension and upgraded stereo.

I watched the website and set alerts from ev-cpo for white/black and black/black under 50k miles. As they started to come through, I kept seeing 2015 85s for under $55k, and then 85d around $60k. Then I started to notice and track the pattern of price drops on a spreadsheet and saw the nightly drop of $1k on most cars. That got me thinking about hoping I could get a P car around 60k. I watch a 2015 P85D drop down over a 2 week period from $74k to $61,500 and I pulled the trigger.

I couldn't be happier!! The thrill of the car is undeniable and not only do I have a smile on my face 24/7, but so does my wife and 3 daughters whenever they ride in it. Autopilot is incredible for the commute and drops my stress level several degrees. The power from the line and also while merging or changing lanes on the freeway is incredible. I once had a MB CLS55AMG and this just destroys what that car brought to the table.

Sign up for a subscription on ev-cpo and set your alerts. Start logging the VIN numbers on a spreadsheet with price and whatever else you want to add and find which ones look good to you. Watch them start to drop and when it looks good, pull the trigger on a P85D and never regret.

Those 2 letters are equivalent to the 3 Mercedes letters (AMG) and the one BMW letter (M) in resale value. I plan to drive for years to come and hope to surpass 200k miles in mine at the least. Good luck!!

Reactions: bhzmark