Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! Model 3 Dash Cam Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

I have an Model 3 and I tried 3 different USB to test the dash cam and sentry mode, all of them are failed. When I say fail is that the video can only capture a partial. The video was erupted in some way. The first two USB I had are 64 gb and I used the third party online tool to reformat to FAT32, the video turns out erupted so I thought its the reformat issue. Then I bought the 32 gb today which has FAT32 format itself but it failed again. Then I realize its either car's or system's issue.
Is there anyone experiencing the same issue as mine? Please see attached picture for further clarification.
It was at worst when the car is parked. If there is a car driving by it will become a little bit clear ( but still blurry) and it will jump to unclear again. I understand the dash cam may only work while at driving. Even when I am driving, the video is still not clear. And the Sentry mode should be working while the car is parked. But its not working well.
Did I do anything wrong?
Thank you so much!!

Attachments

• Dash Cam.jpg
    Dash Cam.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 83
The 3rd party tool I suspect is your issue. I had the same problem using a 3rd party tool on Windows. I switched to using my Mac and it has worked fine since.

There are lots of choices format tools can make. Like segment size, table sizes etc. it might be that Tesla just can’t handle some choices some tools make. A different tool might work fine. It just so happens the Mac works. I had used the tool for years for my other cars. But Tesla didn’t like it.

I doubt it’s your USB stick.

If you don’t have a Mac ask someone with one to partition and format it. Once done you can use Windows to read or cleanup the drive.

Thank you guys for the reply! Truly appreciated!!
I will first try use MAC to reformat and hard reboot and see what happen. If still not working, I will buy a higher standard usb lol. I bought three already, hopefully they work.
Thanks a lot!!!