Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

help!! my electric bill almost doubled.. does the tesla stop charging after it is fully charged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aloha,

You might want to consider a time of use plan. The rates would be:
  • 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.: 12.6 cents/kWh
  • 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.: 40.9 cents/kWh
  • 10 p.m. to 9 a.m.: 31.9 cents/kWh

Wow, that's an amazing schedule and pretty hairy rates.
My cheapest rate is between midnight and 6am, and our rates are about one third of yours.

Also, switch off Summon Standby (on by default) which hits battery.
And review whether Sentry mode is required when parked at home.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexVCo
Wow, that's an amazing schedule and pretty hairy rates.
My cheapest rate is between midnight and 6am, and our rates are about one third of yours.

Also, switch off Summon Standby (on by default) which hits battery.
And review whether Sentry mode is required when parked at home.

It looks like you are in GA like me but I am in Honolulu a lot. Typically for 2 weeks in the Summer and 2 weeks in the Winter. I don't remember ever using the HVAC in house. Record high there is 95 and record low is 52.

Reactions: Elle_H2
Hawaii has pretty terrible rated. I thought Socal Edison was bad.

If anyone is truly interested I will debunk the electricians false narrative and I will take a note of my kwh once my car is charged to see what the trickle charge rate is and how much it cost to keep my car plugged in for x number of hours. I drive the car 4x a week and keep it plugged and charged to 50-60% when I don’t drive it.

Reactions: Elle_H2
I got my electric company to send a guy out to check out my meter after getting bill that doubled. he said it was from my teslas. He said once it is fully charges it is still on charging. How do I stop this?

how do i set my tesla to not keep charging once it fully charged?

im wondering why no one suggested putting a bucket under the charge cable to capture the overflow? Then just carefully pour it back in.

I got my electric company to send a guy out to check out my meter after getting bill that doubled. he said it was from my teslas. He said once it is fully charges it is still on charging. How do I stop this?

First - You need to look at how much electricity (in kWh) you use each month and post it here - without data it's impossible to know. Also, how much do you drive each day?

Second, the tesla stops charging when it;s full - there's no need to unplug to make it stop. As some others have said, if the battery drops more than 1% or so, it will start charging again for a few min to top off, but this takes a long time (like a day or so).

• Informative
Reactions: AlexVCo
My electricity bill went up quite a lot too; more than expected. But I realized that I am driving more than twice as much as I did in my gas car. It's so fun and convenient that I don't think about wether to take the car or not.

You are charging more than one Tesla?

thanks everyone I will look into every ones advice and also look at it from how much more kilowatts am I using. HECO has me not plugging in my tesla tonight so they can compare a night with it and a night without it plugged in. Unfortunately having 3 jobs and working 7 days a week only allows me to charge at night which is probably the most expensive time to be charging but I ate not choice so I may have to live with this higher electric bill.
to answer someones question I went from pay the normal service charge only of $26 a month to $140 lat month.

Thanks again to everyone for you post and help... I still love my tesla and wouldn't trade it for any other car.. gas or electric..
you guys and gals are the best!

Mahalo from Hawaii....

Well looks like you are stuck... you can save a few dollars by charging after 10pm as some have stated. You might look into an energy storage system that takes the energy from solar or at the day-rate, but you probably break even at best.

Other options:
--- Find a way to charge at work (at least one of your 3 jobs should offer you something, though metering will be a tough thing)
--- Take one day off a week or work a late shift.