Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed: Importing a US Roadster to Europe (Switzerland)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone here driving a US spec Roadster in Europe remember which changes had to be made to your car? One member mentioned replacing red LEDs with orange LEDs.
Is there more?

About a year ago I asked the Dutch organisation in charge of approving imported cars ("RDW") about what required changes are typical when importing a US car to the EU. Their reply (translated):

1. Permanently lit orange lights on the front of the car need to be disabled [easy]
2. A fog light must be present; the fog light switch must contain an embedded warning indicator [to show the light is on]
3. Red reflectors on the side must be removed or replaced by orange ones
4. Signal (turn) indicators must be present on the front sides [not sure if the Tesla indicators would pass]
5. Headlights must comply to EU light pattern [I did this once for a Japanese import; you typically need to replace the headlights]

I have explicitly asked about the coloring of the lights and was told that red turn signals are legal and need not be replaced by orange ones.

There are quite a few shops over here that do this on a daily basis as the difference between US import prices and EU prices can be HUGE.

And really: it is just a car. A battery, a motor, brakes. We've seen all that before. And grey imports are just that: imports. Happens every day, completely legal, etc. And Tesla doesn't want a bad rep. and they want to keep selling Tesla's in Europe.

I'd say: go for it!

Does the charging system really differ? I'm pretty sure the car doesn't distinguish between EU and US electrons! In the worst case you'd need to reduce our 240V to 220V.

When I plug my (US-spec) Roadster into the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage using my RFMC, the VDS typically reports ~244V. It's worked for nearly 5 months now.

It also worked fine (though slightly slower) when I plugged it in at an RV park and it reported 208V.

So, I doubt that 220V vs 240V is an issue.

220V in Europe is not 220V anymore for a long time now. Its closer to 230 - 240V.

2. A fog light must be present; the fog light switch must contain an embedded warning indicator [to show the light is on]
No, they are not mandatory for all Europe. Maybe for some countries but not all.
Indicator light can be embedded into the switch or in the dash.

As the front fog lights in Norway at least is still often listed as extras I beleive it's the rear red fog lights. My 1984 car even has the rear fog lights and no front fog lights which strengthens my hypothesis.

Cobos

Thanks guys.

Your information was very helpful!

According to your technical specs I made quite a few phonecalls yesterday and I finally found a garage in Switzerland who will do the homologation! They already did the homologation for half a dozen US Roadsters for the EU. Since they recently even got a speciality license to service EVs (in Switzerland you need some kind of "high voltage" industry approval") they will be able to service the Roadster for the time being. This is great news.
...now a good friend of mine is even buying a brand new one in the USA :smile:
I will have them imported together with my 2nd hand vehicle.

For my friend the cost breakdown is:

- brandnew Roadster $99'000
- Freight door-to-door $3800 (USA-Switzerland, hassle free with insurance, takes 3 weeks)
- 4% customs, 7.6% Tax = $11'000
- $2500 homologation
- $1800 for a 3-year-warranty insurance to replace the Tesla manufacturer warranty (actually it's even better, it has unlimited mileage!:smile:)
- $2000 for a transformator (for the home connector) which will deliver the Amperes needed for an identical charging experience like in the USA.

Total: $119'800
These are actual costs, I have all the offers on my table as of this writing.

Compared to what Tesla is charging in Switzerland: €85'000 plus VAT = $140'000.

That's a quick saving of $20'000 for a few phone calls and one thread in this forum! Sweet deal I guess :biggrin:
Importing does pay off! That's basically a free upgrade to the Roadster Sport. :rolleyes:

Really? The base list price is $109,000 and you've also got to pay a "destination fee" of several thousand dollars (even if you pick it up in Menlo Park where it's made). Even subtracting the $7500 federal tax incentive and assuming that you're in a no-sales-tax state (or a state like Washington that exempts EVs), it comes out to more than $99,000. And that's assuming no options (a decent charger, paint guard, upgraded interior, better wheels, electronics package, better tires, premium paint colors, etc.)

Mine came out to just under $120,000 before the tax rebate (not counting the RFMC that I bought on the side), and I certainly didn't go overboard with options.

They didn't lower the price while I wasn't looking, did they?

Really? The base list price is $109,000 and you've also got to pay a "destination fee" of several thousand dollars (even if you pick it up in Menlo Park where it's made). Even subtracting the $7500 federal tax incentive and assuming that you're in a no-sales-tax state (or a state like Washington that exempts EVs), it comes out to more than $99,000. And that's assuming no options (a decent charger, paint guard, upgraded interior, better wheels, electronics package, better tires, premium paint colors, etc.)

Mine came out to just under $120,000 before the tax rebate (not counting the RFMC that I bought on the side), and I certainly didn't go overboard with options.

They didn't lower the price while I wasn't looking, did they?

Nope, Base List for a U.S. Roadster is $109,000 k3000 is looking on the used U.S. market for export to his country.

Nope, Base List for a U.S. Roadster is $109,000 k3000 is looking on the used U.S. market for export to his country.

@NEWDL: Yes, that is his goal for his own Roadster. But read more carefully ... (blue emphasis mine):

Thanks guys.

Your information was very helpful!

...now a good friend of mine is even buying a brand new one in the USA :smile:
I will have them imported together with my 2nd hand vehicle.

For my friend the cost breakdown is:

So ... bolosky is right to ask for an explanation ...

@NEWDL: Yes, that is his goal for his own Roadster. But read more carefully ... (blue emphasis mine):

So ... bolosky is right to ask for an explanation ...
I agree. This guy might be full of it.

First he found a used roadster for 55k USD, and now he could get a new one for 99k from Tesla? Come on.

I could remotely see Tesla giving a discount to someone that is a very good repeat customer, but if they told him to not export a US model outside of the US, I doubt the above is true.

you guys are right, i got the math wrong.

$109'000
- $7500 tax rebate from obama
- $5000 tax relief from the state of colorado
no sales tax if you use a US car exporter who is willing to pass you on his sales tax refund if you use his company to ship the car.

that's $96'500 for the brandnew roadster.

yes, i am full of it. :biggrin:

Too bad you were not looking to do this 3 months ago.... Colorado had a much more attractive purchase incentive for the roadster....

I would honestly look into if there is a rule with how long you have to keep the roadster in the state before receiving the rebate....

I seem to remember some strings there....

$109'000
- $7500 tax rebate...

http://www.rules.house.gov/110/text/110_hr4221_text.pdf
SEC. 205. CREDIT FOR NEW QUALIFIED PLUG-IN ELECTRIC DRIVE MOTOR VEHICLES.
‘‘(2) APPLICABLE AMOUNT.—For purposes of 17 paragraph (1), the applicable amount is sum of— 18 ‘‘(A) $2,500, plus ‘‘(B) $417 for each kilowatt hour of traction battery capacity in excess of 4 kilowatt hours.
... The amount of the credit allowed under subsection (a) by reason of subsection (a)(2) shall not exceed— ‘‘(A) $7,500, in the case of any new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle...
‘‘(4) the original use of which commences with the taxpayer,
‘‘(5) which is acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer and not for resale...
‘‘(6) PROPERTY USED BY TAX-EXEMPT ENTITY.—
In the case of a vehicle the use of which is described in paragraph (3) or (4) of section 50(b) and which is not subject to a lease, the person who sold such vehicle to the person or entity using such vehicle shall be treated as the taxpayer that placed such vehicle in service, but only if such person clearly discloses to such person or entity in a document the amount of any credit allowable under subsection (a) with respect to such vehicle (determined without regard to subsection (b)(2)).
‘‘(7) PROPERTY USED OUTSIDE UNITED STATES, ETC., NOT QUALIFIED.—No credit shall be allowable under subsection (a) with respect to any property referred to in section 50(b)(1) or with respect to the portion of the cost of any property taken into account under section 179.
‘‘(8) RECAPTURE.—The Secretary shall, by regulations, provide for recapturing the benefit of any credit allowable under subsection (a) with respect to any property which ceases to be property eligible for such credit (including recapture in the case of a lease period of less than the economic life of a vehicle).

thanks for the link, appreciated.

i'm familiar with the content.

I don't know everything about cars, but I'm a lawyer and I do know my taxes, trust me.

the car will have US license plates for a year after the purchase and will be registered in the USA. Thanks for the hint NEWDL. the car will still be registerd in Colorado by the time the refund will be granted.

there's plenty of more ways to save money with this car for me... for example it will have US license plates in Switzerland for a year, that's the maximum allowed for a foreign car before it has to be registered in Switzerland.
After that, the car will be taxed as an import for the current value which will be easily $30'000 less, so that's another 11.6% saved VAT on $30'000. over $3000 straight into my pocket. thanks, swiss government.

plus there's indirect benefits, like I will be paying for the car with my AmEx Centurion. This purchase will give me enought Miles in my Frequent Flyer program to get 2 free tickets to Australia for me and my wife. Another $4000 value. Free vacation in Sydney, thank you AmEx.

Brings down the actual cost of the car down to less than $110k here in Switzerland compared to the $140k retail. I can live with that.

Is it so hard to believe that you can save a lot of money if you use a few of your brain cells every now and then?

Last edited: