Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help needed in changing the charge port trident cable 1006033

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your posts reminds me of something important I think I did not mention:

At the outset, this problem dates back to seven months ago. I was trying to supercharge but got the red ring. Called service and they could not take me in and being out of warranty and out of town ( and being a Friday and their first opening being the following Monday) they suggested I got a rental for the weekend.

While still on the phone with them(they were doing some remote diagnostics) I decided to play with my pocket knife and see if I could get the charge going. At the same time that the technician informed the person on the phone with me that I most likely needed a new charge port, I somehow managed to get the car to charge again. So I got back home and searched internet for a cheaper option than the 1000$ they quoted me for a charge port including the charge port door.

This is an important part of the reason I used my pocket knife to play with the locking mechanism as I had lost my charge port magnet a while back and my charge port door had been opened since then and I thought some road debris had affected the locking mechanism.

Eventually, while browsing I landed on WK057’s web site and discovered that I could purchase only the charge port door! Over the years, under warranty, service changed the whole charge port a few times to correct a missing magnet. The charge port door is only 100$(about).

As my appointment got pushed back a few times (another long story) and as snow season was to start, I decided to change the charge port door myself. That decision saved me a bunch of money and allowed me to find out my charge port was fine.

That in itself is major discovery in my opinion, as I believe,through my own experience, that many technicians do not appear to know that the charge port door can be changed (many other options of what causes that choice could also be considered as possible...) but in any case that’s big buck involved over the long run as the charge port (in my model year anyway) are not the strongest asset of the S.

Over the years, charging issues involved replacing our HPWC at lest three times if not four(all under warranty). If you asked me as to why that is the case, this trident issue is most likely related. Time will tell but it certainly look like it to me.

As a last point, if your HPWC handle has vert de gris on the lower two pins, it is most likely a trident related issue (but I’m no technician).

Cheers