Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help on deciding on next tires for my MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all hunting around for best tires and have landed on a few

Top contenders
  1. Michelin Cross Climate2 (pro - snow rated, better stopping distance/rain performance, con -- significant loss to efficiency)
  2. Michelin Primacy MXM4 (pro - better range than above, more comfortable/quieter ride?)

Other options considering
  • Continental ExtremeContact DWS06
  • Vredestein Quatrac Pro
Live in CA I think my primary objective would be comfort/range over other criteria. Only concern with MXM4 --> how big of a deal is its "worse" performance, really?

For those with other tires can you comment on how the range hit is relative to stock 19" Continental tires?

Hey all hunting around for best tires and have landed on a few

Top contenders
  1. Michelin Cross Climate2 (pro - snow rated, better stopping distance/rain performance, con -- significant loss to efficiency)
  2. Michelin Primacy MXM4 (pro - better range than above, more comfortable/quieter ride?)

Other options considering
  • Continental ExtremeContact DWS06
  • Vredestein Quatrac Pro
Live in CA I think my primary objective would be comfort/range over other criteria. Only concern with MXM4 --> how big of a deal is its "worse" performance, really?

For those with other tires can you comment on how the range hit is relative to stock 19" Continental tires?
Switched to an oversize Continental dws06 on my 18" RWD 3 and while it lost an average of 7% range vs. the stock 19" rubber over the life of the tire the extra load range, comfort and the handling made it seem like this is the tire size that should have came on the car (255/40/19) so after about 45k miles or so I went out and replaced them with the dws06 plus, can't say enough good about these except when my truck needed new tires Continental was the only choice and their all terrain are the best tires I have had on a truck (for street use), I used to only run Michelins but now I swear by these.

Reactions: acatwith12
how's the range + ride comfort compared to the original tires?
It was a while ago, before people cared about range or economy. At the time, the MXM was premium priced and marked as a very comfortable tire that handled like sport tires. It did neither. It was not as comfortable as their gold standard MXV. And it could not handle anywhere close to the Pilot Sport AS tires. The Pilot Sports are my favorite all-around.

It was a while ago, before people cared about range or economy. At the time, the MXM was premium priced and marked as a very comfortable tire that handled like sport tires. It did neither. It was not as comfortable as their gold standard MXV. And it could not handle anywhere close to the Pilot Sport AS tires. The Pilot Sports are my favorite all-around.
how's the pilot sports efficiency and comfort?

Pilot Sports are fantastic for comfort and handling. I have not had them on an EV, so I don't know about efficiency. However, I cannot wait for my Continentals to wear out so I can replace them with Pilot Sport AS on my MYLR. I have already made my decision.
haha yea have a long road trip coming up and debating whether to get new tires (pilot sport AS?) now or after I get back

Pilot sport all season. Or if you can swing it, a set of winter tires (north cali?) for low rolling resistance in the winter (get some light rims) and for the summer, some summer stickies. Tires like the cross climate 2's are trying to be all things and suffer for it.

Pilot sport all season. Or if you can swing it, a set of winter tires (north cali?) for low rolling resistance in the winter (get some light rims) and for the summer, some summer stickies. Tires like the cross climate 2's are trying to be all things and suffer for it.
Whichever you get the range hit will be highest when new (10%) and slightly improve over time. I love my AS4’s and range hasn’t been an issue, wouldn’t let that impact your decision.
So just had a thought... how do these PS AS4 or others do in extreme heat? Pretty much all the testing is on the lower end (I.e., how does AS do in snow) but I'm wondering how it'd also do in CA extreme heat waves (100+F). Last year I had to drive in 112F+

So just had a thought... how do these PS AS4 or others do in extreme heat? Pretty much all the testing is on the lower end (I.e., how does AS do in snow) but I'm wondering how it'd also do in CA extreme heat waves (100+F). Last year I had to drive in 112F+
Well I’m in similar heat and no issues here. Used them on a 122 degree day in Palm Springs on my 535i and all good.

I think if you go with the all seasons, its okay, its when you get into the new style "all weather" tires with the snow rating that things get dicey. They use a rubber that stays softer in all temps, and people have reported that they feel "gummy" in the summer. :eek: I cant imagine how 122 degree weather would affect them. They also have really poor rolling resistance, because they use stickier rubber to be grippier in all weather conditions.

I am sure it will be fine. A quick Google says 195 degrees. So on a blacktop of you are standing still, maybe?