Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help...Please. Looking at a used Tesla...Build Sheets Available?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well pretty much have the deal done. Just wish I knew what I was actually getting.

The local Tesla would not print out an option sheet for me. She did admit it was a nice car but said they were not allowed to share the build sheet.

Bummer for sure. Well I know the obvious options. But nothing about the charging system, suspension, other small options, etc.

If anyone could point me to another route that would be great!!

You should be able to tell if you have air suspension by whether you can raise/lower it. I have it. I'm honestly not sure if the whole suspension screen is absent on cars that don't have it...but surely this can be answered.

There's the premium lighting. I *think* you can know that if you have LED lights under the armrests that can come on at night.

In the trunk, if you don't have a pocket on the right, then there's a subwoofer there, which means you have premium audio.

Not sure how to tell about dual chargers.

Why don't you contact a CPO advisor? Get a car directly from Tesla at a cheaper price.

This is one I was sent a while back pretty comparable to the one your looking at.

$58,100 located in Raleigh, NC with 21,100 miles

cid:image005.png@01D19A45.E08E2D10

Thanks everyone! Keep the replies coming if any other good info!

The one I found is a well equipped (all of the obvious options) Performance model with 19K one owner miles on it. I am paying $65K. The trade value they are giving me for my wife's car is also very competitive (saving a couple of thousand in sales tax this way also).

In regards to the CPO. I was there today. There was nothing on their network. I checked.

Here was the response I just got:

Mark,

If you are looking for something under 20K miles your best bet is to definitely go third party.

Our lowest mileage P85 is 40,000.

Thanks,

Sean Bernardeau |Pre-Owned Advisor - Southeast

Looking at buying a CPO 2013 P85 with a vin in the 7200 range. Anyone know approximate quarter it was built in? Has blue paint, pano, 21" silver wheels, grey nappa/alcantara w/ white piping, piano black, tech, ultra hifi sound, smart air, rear-facing seats, parcel shelf, supercharging, twin chargers, paint armor. Since I can no longer find build info, I have a couple questions. First, is there a difference between these seats and the "performance leather" seats? Since I have no interest in the rear-facing seats, I was told that the service center could remove them. Any resale in keeping the seats and selling them to a third party? Not sure if "could remove them" means charge me to remove, no charge but they keep the seats, etc. Anything else I should know about this era? Thanks!

Did you mention the VIN? That would help determine the approximate build date and hence tell you how much warranty you have left (on the 4yr original warranty).

Also does the car have parking sensors? (Can't tell from pics)

Mine has a VIN ~13k and warranty started early July 2013.

Personally, I think $65k is too high. Maybe the market in Florida is different. But just try and guess at the original MSRP. Then figure as a guess, the car is 3 years old. To approximate what tesla would have given as a trade in, take $69.9k X 0.5 + (MSRP - 69.9k) X 0.43 = tesla trade in

It's a long story. That's not gonna give you a perfect number. But it's probably gonna be a number under $50k. Are you cool with paying $15k over trade in?

I paid a private party $55k for mine, it has every single option of its era aside from cold weather pkg. plus the previous owner threw in a new in box tesla HPWC. Plus the car was tinted nicely. Plus it has a center console add on. It had 33k miles. I got them to add 4 more years of warranty for $4k. So ultimately I paid $59k for all that but I also have 5.25yrs / 67k miles bumper to bumper warranty left. You seem to be heavily focused on low miles. But the flip side is you seem to not care that you only have ~1yr full warranty left.

This is all personal choice stuff. For me, I'd take a few extra miles any day for extra warranty. Also note that tesla does spruce up its CPO cars before selling. If this one really is pristine then maybe it's not a big factor. But I've heard tesla makes sure CPO cars have no real blemishes, plus perfect wheels (no rash) and interior leather should be perfect.

Another angle to look at it (this was my thought process). At $65k, you're starting to get pretty close to a new 70D. I just priced out a crazy loaded 70D at like $92.5k. That's for pretty much everything except cold, and I left out autopilot. Take off $7500 tax credit and you'd pay $85k. In other words, $20k more than you're used P85.

Look what that $20k is getting you (a LOT in my opinion)! 4 years warranty (that's worth 3k at least). Bio defense mode. The newest body style. Super safety features (even though I didn't add AP, you can still expect never to rear end someone again with the auto brake safety feature). Newest seats. Parking sensors. Folding mirrors. Latest gen battery pack. AWD! LTE data speeds (worth $500). All the fit and finish improvements that get talked about here soo often. Plus you get to be the original owner. Also, not sure if there's an additional state credit in Florida?

I'm just sayin, I think there's easily $20k worth of great value for that extra delta. And what would you be giving up??
-a smaller frunk
-1 second slower with a 5.2s 0-60
-no "P", so you'd always have "P"-ness envy

I hear you. That does make sense too.

But I am finding ANYTHING (at least with the options I want) for anywhere near $60K let alone lower. I want the Performance model. I would love an 85D but that's $80K. And I am trading. They are doing me right on that. Along with the sales tax credit.

Here is the info on the car:

Features on 5YJSA1CP6DFP07910:

-Black Paint

-Black Performance Interior (Red Piping)

-Carbon Fiber Décor

-Power liftgate

-Active Air Suspension

-Panoramic Sunroof

-Sound Package

-21” Grey Rims

-Tech Package

-Rear Facing Seats

The newest body style. Super safety features (even though I didn't add AP, you can still expect never to rear end someone again with the auto brake safety feature).

Please don't spread misinformation like that. AEB in a Tesla only works >25 MPH, and it will only slow you down by 25 MPH before turning off. So if you are going 50, someone stops in front of you, and you are not paying attention you will rear end them at ~25 MPH. Of course the warnings may get your attention and you can apply the brakes to stop, but they say it only activates on unavoidable collisions so by the time it kicks in it is too late to avoid hitting the person in front of you.

Please don't spread misinformation like that. AEB in a Tesla only works >25 MPH, and it will only slow you down by 25 MPH before turning off. So if you are going 50, someone stops in front of you, and you are not paying attention you will rear end them at ~25 MPH. Of course the warnings may get your attention and you can apply the brakes to stop, but they say it only activates on unavoidable collisions so by the time it kicks in it is too late to avoid hitting the person in front of you.

Apologies! Right. I was typing that all out quick on my phone. Yeah, I wasn't trying to make any claims that you would *never* rear end anyone ever again. I think as I typed it I was thinking that common sense should apply when reading that statement. It's kind of the way my thought process works - I think plowing through someone when you're doing over 25mph doesn't really count. That's in a different bracket. I was thinking about those little fender benders definitely under 25mph.

Anyway, please strike my comment from the record - that new Teslas will never rear end another car. Please insert instead that there are some safety features which *may* in some but not all situations avoid a collision, but it's entirely the readers responsibility to read up and learn what that really means

Looking at buying a CPO 2013 P85 with a vin in the 7200 range. Anyone know approximate quarter it was built in? Has blue paint, pano, 21" silver wheels, grey nappa/alcantara w/ white piping, piano black, tech, ultra hifi sound, smart air, rear-facing seats, parcel shelf, supercharging, twin chargers, paint armor. Since I can no longer find build info, I have a couple questions. First, is there a difference between these seats and the "performance leather" seats? Since I have no interest in the rear-facing seats, I was told that the service center could remove them. Any resale in keeping the seats and selling them to a third party? Not sure if "could remove them" means charge me to remove, no charge but they keep the seats, etc. Anything else I should know about this era? Thanks!
The "performance" seats have alcantara inserts towards the headrest and in the side bolsters. They also have color piping along the seams. Standard leather seats don't have either of those.

I would suggest keeping the rear seats. Could help with resale down the line, unless you plan on never selling the car. If you are going to keep it forever and really don't want the seats, buy the car with them and remove them and sell them. Those are fairly desirable and people will pay for them. There are some restrictions on which cars can be retrofitted with them though, but still should be easy sell. I think I've seen them sell for $1500.

Not sure when that VIN was built, but I think it could be mid- to late 2013. Other things to consider with VIN of that age, there will be no parking sensors or folding mirrors. Those didn't come until much later.

Actually, I tried to read up a bit more on what exactly AEB does.

The 6.2 release notes say it's designed to automatically engage to reduce the impact of an unavoidable frontal collision. And it says it operates between 5mph and 85mph.

You decide for yourself what that means. I don't have it on my car so I can't say from experience. I know that for years now, Volvos have claimed to stop you at slow speeds to prevent fender benders. I assumed that AEB was equal or better than that, and I would be surprised if it wasn't the case. But I make no claims that it is.

Anyway, got way off topic. My real point is, enumerate all of the things you're not getting (and getting!) in your 2013 P85, that you would get (or not get) in a new 70D, and assign dollar values of what each of those is worth to you. And see if the sum is less or more than the $20k you're saving.

Thanks everyone! Keep the replies coming if any other good info!

The one I found is a well equipped (all of the obvious options) Performance model with 19K one owner miles on it. I am paying $65K. The trade value they are giving me for my wife's car is also very competitive (saving a couple of thousand in sales tax this way also).

In regards to the CPO. I was there today. There was nothing on their network. I checked.

Here was the response I just got:

Mark,

If you are looking for something under 20K miles your best bet is to definitely go third party.

Our lowest mileage P85 is 40,000.

Thanks,

Sean Bernardeau |Pre-Owned Advisor - Southeast
If you purchase from dealer you only have 30k miles of warranty left. If you purchase from tesla you have 50k. Don't understand why your worried about mileage?

I'm good with what warranty I have left. From the research I have done they are solid cars overall.

While I don't need a brand new zero mileage car (like many people buy) I do like them with little wear.

Another big issue is that Tesla does not have one available anywhere with what I am looking for in options and also anything close to my price range.

When the Tesla salesman tells you that I should also go for the 3rd party car that must mean something.

Again thanks everyone for the advice