TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

HELP!!! Toronto to Tobermory Overnight "Camping"

Discussion in 'Canada' started by setipoo, Aug 10, 2018.

1. setipoo

setipoo Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons

Thinking of a quick roundtrip weekend travel from Toronto to Tobermory via 401W/400N, mainly to:

1) have a short walk/hike around the area upon arrival (weather permitting)
    2) experience "camping" on my 75 S and "see the stars"
    3) do some shopping if there is time left (to keep wife happy)

Haven't been there. So the questions are:

1) I know it's only approx 110km from the Owen Sound supercharger to Tobermory. If I do the overnight "camping" on the S (camper mode using only aircon mainly), will I have enough juice to return to Owen Sound? I don't plan to charge anywhere else in Tobermory but I'll bring the charging adapter just in case. Obviously, range anxiety is a concern getting back to OS if aircon is on all night and I need to drive around for hike/shop.
    2) Any suggestions on where to park to "see the stars"?
    3) Any suggestions on a good place for light hiking?
    3) Any suggestions on a good place for shopping or flea market, etc?

Thanks!

2. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

In theory yes.
    Bear in mind I have an X 100D, but based on some quick math I think it should work.

110 km one way means 220 km round trip. I don’t think that should be much more than 50% of your battery, but let’s use 60% for sake of argument.
    Running my X’s ac for 8 solid hours was about 8% of my battery, so I’ll round that up to 10%, or 10kwh of battery usage.
    40% of a 75 kWh pack comes out to about 30 kWh that’s not being used in getting too and from your start and end points. Even if I’m still a little low on how much battery it takes to get you to and fro, that’s still a good margin of battery for this trip.

Anyone have more concrete numbers for this? This is my educated guess, but I could always be wrong somewhere.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. wayner

wayner Active Member

I have a P85D and 220km would be 55% of my battery capacity so with a 75S 220km would be over 60% - that is at rated range.

I would think that if you could plug in at a 110V plug that would happen to negate any AC losses.

• Like x 2
  4. MrShakeHands

MrShakeHands Member

Range anxiety is tough the first time, but you should be fine. I have a model X 75D and took it to the Kawartha Lakes from the Barrie supercharger which was about 100kms each way for a long weekend. I actually got 379kms at 100% from the supercharger.

Even with the rated 350kms minus 220kms there and back leaves you with 130kms to burn for some A/C and puttering around. Sleeping at night, you won’t need the A\C up there :). Just remember to turn on energy saver mode so it’s not always trying to check in and find a cell signal.

• Like x 1
  5. RedSafari

RedSafari Member

One tip, if you are planning to hike to the Grotto, buy a parking pass online ahead of time - as of 2018 the only way to park is to reserve a time slot. The Grotto, Bruce Peninsula National Park
    Not sure about camping options on the peninsula, but a campsite would be the best option for overnighting in the car. Should be a fun experience!

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  6. setipoo

setipoo Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons

Thank you, all!