Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with deciding to install a powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It looks like PG&E is in step 4 with SGIP at 30 cent per watt, I will have to find out if Tesla is capped out on the program

Based on this link I think Tesla is saying they have a backlog for SGIP, so there's no more incentive for them as they have achieve their developer cap.

Source = Powerwall and California SGIP | Tesla Support

However, then there's this bill but I don't know if it passed or not and if it would increase the money available for each developer cap in the SGIP program

Source = California Passes Bill to Extend $800M in Incentives for Behind-the-Meter Batteries

If emergency backup is your only concern have you considered a less expensive AC coupled system? I bought a Magnum 4448 with a set of golf cart batteries just so I could ride through an extended power outage. It works great. I had mine set up for manual backup. Open the main breaker and plug the outlet of the inverter into a 240v outlet. Power up the bus and your grid-tie inverter will turn on. The Magnum 'balances' the load. If there's a surplus it goes into the batteries. If the batteries are charged and there's still a surplus it increases frequency to 60.5Hz which trips the grid-tie.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Lon12 and smatthew
If emergency backup is your only concern have you considered a less expensive AC coupled system? I bought a Magnum 4448 with a set of golf cart batteries just so I could ride through an extended power outage. It works great. I had mine set up for manual backup. Open the main breaker and plug the outlet of the inverter into a 240v outlet. Power up the bus and your grid-tie inverter will turn on. The Magnum 'balances' the load. If there's a surplus it goes into the batteries. If the batteries are charged and there's still a surplus it increases frequency to 60.5Hz which trips the grid-tie.

Wow - super illegal setup. You're just one breaker away from killing people working on the electrical system. There's a reason transfer switches were developed and are required to prevent back-feeding the grid during power outages.

Wow - super illegal setup. You're just one breaker away from killing people working on the electrical system. There's a reason transfer switches were developed and are required to prevent back-feeding the grid during power outages.

??? So why do these exist?

Screen Shot 2019-02-02 at 11.42.47 AM.png

How do houses with these pass inspection? A main breaker provides just as much isolation as a transfer switch...

Thanks Nwdiver, would you mind telling me the cost of your system also would need someone to install the system.

Depends on how fancy you want to get. Something simple could cost as little as ~$3k. I started out with just the 4448 Magnum and 8 6v Golf cart batteries I got at costco for ~$90ea.

Last edited:
Wondering if someone in California could give me a personal contact email of a Tesla energy rep that they dealt with on their purchase of the Powerwalls. I have sent several emails on the Tesla Energy web site and so far no response. I have some question about installation and SGIP incentive.

Wondering if someone in California could give me a personal contact email of a Tesla energy rep that they dealt with on their purchase of the Powerwalls. I have sent several emails on the Tesla Energy web site and so far no response. I have some question about installation and SGIP incentive.

In SoCal - just recently had Tesla complete a proposal for Solar PV system with 2 Powerwalls and a site survey.
I backed out because Tesla CAN NOT reserved SGIP for me because they have fully used their quota. Overall my sales agent and plan designer were awesome but NO SGIP means a lot for me, to the tune of about $6K - $8K loss.

I can give you both contact info in you want to go ask them - send me a message. I can also share you price breakdown per Tesla for PW vs my local certified installer - this was as of Feb 14, 2019.

FWIW, there are local certified installers that still have SGIP reservation quota. The one I just signed a contract with promised in (email/telcon) that they have the Powerwalls in stock, and in CONTRACT to complete install within 30-90 days of contract signing. PLUS they can reserve SGIP.

In SoCal - just recently had Tesla complete a proposal for Solar PV system with 2 Powerwalls and a site survey.
I backed out because Tesla CAN NOT reserved SGIP for me because they have fully used their quota. Overall my sales agent and plan designer were awesome but NO SGIP means a lot for me, to the tune of about $6K - $8K loss.

I can give you both contact info in you want to go ask them - send me a message. I can also share you price breakdown per Tesla for PW vs my local certified installer - this was as of Feb 14, 2019.

FWIW, there are local certified installers that still have SGIP reservation quota. The one I just signed a contract with promised in (email/telcon) that they have the Powerwalls in stock, and in CONTRACT to complete install within 30-90 days of contract signing. PLUS they can reserve SGIP.
Thanks for the info, I did have a Bay Area company that has allocation left for SGIP but the quote was rediculous. I already have solar and just want 2 Powerwalls installed the location is 2 feet from my electrical panel and near the solar equipment. Seems like lots of issues between Tesla the installers and PG&E.

Thanks for the info, I did have a Bay Area company that has allocation left for SGIP but the quote was rediculous. I already have solar and just want 2 Powerwalls installed the location is 2 feet from my electrical panel and near the solar equipment. Seems like lots of issues between Tesla the installers and PG&E.

Tesla Energy and Baker Home Energy quoted $9775 each PW2 installed.

Baker matched Teslas price - was originally asking $10150 per Powerwall.

One thought would be to contact the SGIP administrator for your power company. Mine is SCE. I contacted them when I first found out about the Powerwall 2 and they provided information about the revamp of the SHIP program back in 2017. With the passage of the $800 million additional dollars there should be another revamp at some point that may or may not allow Tesla back in. That is, if you can afford to wait for the new/updated program to kick in.

Ok another question for those of you in PG&E territory, I’m on E6 tou with NEM1 and wondering if I decide to add 2 Powerwalls are they going to change the above rate plan.[/QUOTE

I believe they will. My brother was switched off of E6 last year when his Powerwalls were installed. There apparently was a cut-off sometime last year after which they no longer accepted grandfathered rate plans any more. I was able to keep my E6 rate installing a couple of months earlier, but they somehow bounced me off of my CCA. I'm trying to get that fixed.