Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with die transfer from seatbelts in 3rd row to the seats.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the tech said they'll get mobile repair to order the parts and replace it. Unfortunately, this is the same tech who said they'd order a replacement seat and would contact me to come in but never did. So i'm not holding much to his word on this one either. I figure I'll wait a week, then put in a request again via service app.

What did they actually replace here, is there a part number on the invoice???

What did they actually replace here, is there a part number on the invoice???

They replaced the rear 3rd row backrest and seat cushion.

1633142087336.png

Just like everyone else on this thread, I have the exact same problem on both seats; back and bottom cushions. I first reported this soon after taking delivery, and just getting an appointment for service took forever, and even then couldn't remove it. So then they ordered new cushions for a total replacement, and I just picked up my car yesterday. STILL THERE... will need to schedule yet another appointment.

Just like everyone else on this thread, I have the exact same problem on both seats; back and bottom cushions. I first reported this soon after taking delivery, and just getting an appointment for service took forever, and even then couldn't remove it. So then they ordered new cushions for a total replacement, and I just picked up my car yesterday. STILL THERE... will need to schedule yet another appointment.

How is it still there after a replacement? I've been fighting with my service center since delivery for them to acknowledge this as an issue.

Last edited:
Anyone try Spray 9? We use that at work to get stains out.
Nothing works. Trust me.

What I've tried:

Alcohol 80% ( Diluted, then undiluted )
Degreaser ( Orange, Diluted then Undiluted )
Degreaser ( Purple Power, Diluted, the Undiluted )
Meguiars Leather Cleaner
Magic Eraser ( light only since abrasive )

Spray 9 is pretty similar to Purple Power. Can take oil stains outta the driveway but this dye transfer from the seatbelts is nothing else.

Gave Tesla two tries at a service center for them to do it but nothing. Instead they opted to replace.

The absolute best but not cheapest option if youre dye transfer isn't big is Colourlock's Super White for Tesla (link below). Essentially you're painting over it with color matching dye. I've used it on blue stains that were totally my fault and it works perfectly. But it's not cheap so it's good only for touchups. In my case
the seatbelt transfer was literally the length of the seat so it was cost prohibitive to cover 2 seats. Either way, Tesla should take care of this because
it's ridiculous.

Someone needs to tweet Elon, this is ridiculous. No way anyone here should be charged a dime or given the runaround because Tesla decided to use dye-transfer prone seat belts ruining white seats that customers are experiencing within the first month of ownership.

Someone needs to tweet Elon, this is ridiculous. No way anyone here should be charged a dime or given the runaround because Tesla decided to use dye-transfer prone seat belts ruining white seats that customers are experiencing within the first month of ownership.

I guess it's only this bad for us MY 7 owners because the 3rd row seat belt is sandwiched with pressure being applied. Something that had to have been intentionally overlooked during QA testing of the 3rd row design.

I have an appointment for early November at the same service center in hopes that they know how to order replacement seats by now.

Looks too thick to me
I was referring to the smaller piece that comes in the set. If you want a cover for the shoulder part of the seat belt there are many choices on Amazon but this set includes a separate cover that can be placed where the lap belt and shoulder belt join at the buckle. Again, I was thinking that the cover piece could be used to protect the seats when folded. I watched the short video and learned that the snap on cover can be used in different parts of the seat belt.

They replaced the rear 3rd row backrest and seat cushion.

View attachment 716917

Thanks again for posting your invoice, I attached it to my service center request and finally got a helpful response.

Tesla has acknowledged the 3rd row seatbelt dye transfer as a production build & delivery issue, but doesn't yet have a permanent solution so all they will do is clean it until the root problem is addressed. I'll gladly wait for a permanent fix now that they have take accountability.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211009-103215~2.png
    Screenshot_20211009-103215~2.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
  • Screenshot_20211009-103523.png
    Screenshot_20211009-103523.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
Thanks again for posting your invoice, I attached it to my service center request and finally got a helpful response.

Tesla has acknowledged the 3rd row seatbelt dye transfer as a production build & delivery issue, but doesn't yet have a permanent solution so all they will do is clean it until the root problem is addressed. I'll gladly wait for a permanent fix now that they have take accountability.
That seems like a bit of a cop out response from this SC. Who's to say it's going to happen again now that you're aware? I'd understand if they already replaced the 3rd row seat once for you, but this is still practically a new vehicle. What if it takes a whole year for their engineering team to determine a solution?

That seems like a bit of a cop out response from this SC. Who's to say it's going to happen again now that you're aware? I'd understand if they already replaced the 3rd row seat once for you, but this is still practically a new vehicle. What if it takes a whole year for their engineering team to determine a solution?

Agreed, but official acknowledgement of the issue is better then the BS it's in spec answer I was getting before. I have been a constant visitor at this service center for issues like this and will remain so until it's addressed.

Yea I was told that the issue is a production issue, but the difference for me is that they replaced the seat but warned it could happen again.

Personally, I think it's the seatbelt in the 3rd row that's doing it because all seats in my car were ceramic coated and it still appeared on top
which lead me to believe the seat belt is the one marring it. Well, either way, I wrapped those seat belts in a white towel so the situation won't happen again.

But sucks to hear that they wont replace the seats. I'm honestly expecting them to "address and fix" the issue in the future only to tell you that
"it's within spec."
Agreed, but official acknowledgement of the issue is better then the BS it's in spec answer I was getting before. I have been a constant visitor at this service center for issues like this and will remain so until it's addressed.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ