Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with die transfer from seatbelts in 3rd row to the seats.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a seven seat model Y with the 3rd row that I picked up last month. I had tested them out on delivery then folded them back down until this week where my wife asked to test it out for an upcoming trip where they will come into use. I noticed that it appears some brown die has transferred from the seat belts to the white seats. I tried baby wipes (which did nothing), then some leather cleaner from the chemical guys; neither have lifted the stains. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_1387.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_1387.HEIC.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 2,547
  • IMG_1385.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_1385.HEIC.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 412
  • IMG_1384.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_1384.HEIC.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 453
If chemical guys leather cleaner didn't work, I don't know. I use Meguiars Vinyl & Leather cleaner, and it removed the dye from blue-jeans on my wife's light interior car just fine... I had some staining on my model Y during delivery (baby wipe didn't work) that I didn't notice until I got home, and it got that out too.

Be careful, the seat coverings on the Tesla Model Y are not leather, not vinyl. The material is a polyurethane fabric. The finish on the seat can be removed with the wrong cleaning products. Do not use products designed to treat or condition leather on the seats.

Safe cleaning methods include:

plain water or plain water with a tiny amount of non-detergent soap applied with a clean microfiber cloth. Dry immediately by buffing with a second clean microfiber cloth.

unscented baby wipes

Harsh chemicals should not be used.

Reactions: thinktwice
I have a seven seat model Y with the 3rd row that I picked up last month. I had tested them out on delivery then folded them back down until this week where my wife asked to test it out for an upcoming trip where they will come into use. I noticed that it appears some brown die has transferred from the seat belts to the white seats. I tried baby wipes (which did nothing), then some leather cleaner from the chemical guys; neither have lifted the stains. Any ideas?
I have had the same issue with white seats and third row. Had the seats folded for two weeks then had the dye from the seatbelt transfer to the seat. I’ve tried baby wipes, dawn soap, carpro inside with a detail brush and microfiber, whip it cleaner, rubbing alcohol. So far nothing has worked. Just brought my car into the dealership to take care of some other issues, they had the techs try and clean it and they had no luck. He said they’re going to have their detailer try and take it out tomorrow. Will update with any news

I have had the same issue with white seats and third row. Had the seats folded for two weeks then had the dye from the seatbelt transfer to the seat. I’ve tried baby wipes, dawn soap, carpro inside with a detail brush and microfiber, whip it cleaner, rubbing alcohol. So far nothing has worked. Just brought my car into the dealership to take care of some other issues, they had the techs try and clean it and they had no luck. He said they’re going to have their detailer try and take it out tomorrow. Will update with any news

I was hoping rubbing alcohol might work; that was the next thing I was going to try. Let me know how it goes. I think I might need to take mine in as well. I suspect that some manufacturing step was missed (e.g. die fastener on the belts, or scotchgard on the seats).

I was hoping rubbing alcohol might work; that was the next thing I was going to try. Let me know how it goes. I think I might need to take mine in as well. I suspect that some manufacturing step was missed (e.g. die fastener on the belts, or scotchgard on the seats).
Just saw my invoice. Will pick up my car later to see if it was actually replaced or if I have to come back in for replacement. Hoping the former rather than latter

Attachments

• B25E82F4-08DD-4FB4-88A3-1DC129483312.jpeg
    B25E82F4-08DD-4FB4-88A3-1DC129483312.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 427
Just saw my invoice. Will pick up my car later to see if it was actually replaced or if I have to come back in for replacement. Hoping the former rather than latter
no surprise, seat wasn't switched, but not like I expected them to just have it on hand. Rep told me they tried to get it out but couldn't so they went ahead and ordered a new third row, should be 2-3 weeks before it comes in, and from there mobile will come out and do the switch.

Reactions: cjxmtn
no surprise, seat wasn't switched, but not like I expected them to just have it on hand. Rep told me they tried to get it out but couldn't so they went ahead and ordered a new third row, should be 2-3 weeks before it comes in, and from there mobile will come out and do the switch.
Out of curiosity, how does this work... Does the mobile guy pick up the parts from the SC when it arrives and bring it to your house, or are they sending it to your house, and the mobile guy will just come straight to your house?

How long have you had the car before you noticed the problem? I recieved my MY7 at end of april and I noticed this problem after unfolding the seats before a trip to vegas. I've arranged for a service center to look at it but it'll take a month. Just wanted to see if they gave you any grief for it.

Reactions: TMYB-C1