Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting. I'm at a loss and don't know what to do about my Model S. I put in a reservation on the first day for a Model 3. When the timeline went south they offered me a CPO Model S in a similar price range. I decided to go with the Model S since I couldn't be without a car for the length of the new time table and was happy about a bigger car. I got a 2014 85. There was some waiting and weirdness going towards delivery but I received it at the end of December in 2017.

Everything was great for the first year and then the car started doing some weird things. All of a sudden while charging I received low voltage warnings and the car died. It was jumped and towed to the service center.They had it for a week with no updates and nobody answers the phone. The person at the desk said there was debris( leaves) in the chassis and it was cleaned out and good to go. The next day it faulted again but allowed me to finish my drive before dying. It was again jumped and towed to the service center. About two weeks later I got a text that it was ready and a steering system needed replacement. I picked the car up and THAT night it died in my driveway again. Another jump and tow. After about two weeks or so they said it was ready and Tesla engineering said it was a coupler that connected the 12v battery to the main battery. This sounded legit and after some research I saw that some other people had the same issue.

Fast forward to 2 days later.. It dies AGAIN. It is again jumped and towed to the service center. Nobody at the service center picks up the phone or responds to emails. I was able to find the name of the Service Center manager and emailed him that this is out of control something needs to be done. He was very nice and assures me that they will get to the bottom of it. At this point I start looking into used car lemon laws and find that in NJ Tesla gets around it by not having actual dealerships.

2 weeks later I get a call that they brought in a Master Engineer from another service center and we was going to figure it out. Finally, they think the only thing it could be is the charging system and they replace it. I got the car back on Wednesday. This past weekend my family had plans to go to the shore and I decide not to take the Tesla to be on the safe side. I got back last night and was welcomed home to a dead Tesla. They are towing it today to the service center.

This fiasco started in May. It is now August and the car still isn't fixed. I don't know what to do. I can't drive it anywhere. There isn't anyone to talk to other than the service manager. The service center can't figure it out. The manager is apologizing left and right and said he would forward the facts of the case to corporate.

Has anyone had any luck with Tesla replacing a vehicle they can't fix? Any idea who I could talk to? Thanks!

They replaced the 12v battery twice already. Its been in service 5 times with 5 different outcomes.
may your car has a high amt of vampire drain killing the 12V.
I hope your car is fixed this time you get it but in case you are suspicious, you can try using TeslaFi see data flow / sleep state etc. Also can try Teslatics App - latter offers 1st month free.
As a 3rd option, One suggestion to r/o 12V Battery is to use high Amp [ at least 5 amp] Battery tender on the 12V and see if the same happens. this could be done along side the 2 options above

though it looks like your DC-DC converter may be also an issue

Last edited:
Something is killing your 12V and Tesla is still trying to find the cause. If they replace enough parts by trials and errors, your 12V will be good to go some day.
Yeah this we all know already but its been all summer trying to figure out the cause. Interesting thing is that when the tow guy came today the alerts cleared and he didn't have to jump it. I know one other time it was taken in they said once they brought it into the shop it was acting normal. At least they can go back and see that the alerts actually happened.

This situation stinks. I’m sorry. This shouldn’t happen to anyone.

Troubleshooting is an art. If the “master mechanic” couldn’t figure it out, push them to bring in the “ludicrous mechanic” or whatever they call the next more skilled one.

If I was assigned to figure it out, I’d be rigging current clamps (sensors) all over the HV and 12V DC system and logging that 24/7 until you saw what was wrong.

Last edited: