TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

HEPA filter upgrade only for X - why?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Mar 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. calisnow

calisnow Banned

Anyone know why?

2. Dreamship

Dreamship Member

I just checked and you can still order it on the S.

3. calisnow

calisnow Banned

@Dreamship - sorry I should've been more clear. The X now has the HEPA filter available from Tesla without buying the premium package. You can order it after the sale. The S - which appears to have the same ventilation system - you can't order it without the premium package.

4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yep I'm waiting for this too. I wonder if it would work for the S and is just a shop category problem.

5. Yinn

Yinn Member

I can think of a couple of reasons.Keep in mind the frunk of the X has been the same since introduction and designed with the HEPA filter in mind. The frunk of the S has changed going from RWD to AWD. Then again with the refresh. By not offering it yet, it reduces the number of people inquiring that may not even be eligible for the upgrade.

Anyone who wants it enough is also encouraged to upgrade to a newer refreshed model with AP2 as well, generating additional $ and sales volume for Tesla. Anyone who is purchasing new will be encouraged to maker the smaller jump to a PUP on the S ($3500) vs the larger jump on the X ($4500)

Also while it might be easy to build it into the car at the factory, it may be more time consuming to both change and install the filter post-delivery (especially on a car of which it was not in the original design.) With many more S on the road than X, this could overwhelm the service centers at a time when they're gearing up for the launch of the 3 and specifically addressing servicing speed.

Oh...and it's currently back ordered for the X. So why offer it when you can't meet demand?

• Informative x 1