Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here come the imported Model 3's!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) Tesla’s come with USA proprietary charge port.
you can’t take them back to the USA as they are right hand drive.
So probably the most “Orphan” of any imported Tesla.
They really should be forced to disclose this.

Interesting came across this statement on one Model S listing by Drive EV
"We are to date the only retailer who prepares Japanese Teslas to NZ spec with working Navigation and Type 2 charging abilities enabling the use of destination and Superchargers."

But there seem to be a bunch of people in NZ offering imported Japanese Model S.

Yes, but most will still have the proprietary Tesla connector that Tesla uses in Japan. You will need to source adapters to charge them and you won't be able to Supercharge them. Drive EV's conversions resolves those issues.

Personally, since the used Model S usually go for not much less than a new Model 3 I think it would be silly to buy an imported Model S.

Drive EV in Taupo is offering conversion for Japanese Model S to NZ
for about 10k

Drive EV in Taupo is offering conversion for Japanese Model S to NZ
for about 10k

hmm... yet to understand how reliable battery and other items with BEV imported cars, specially when active OTA software updates involved.

Reactions: moa999
To Rob Dickson ...'ah paul kelly never change...' What do you mean? Kelly's imported a lightly used Tesla M3 LR from Japan which I grabbed. Yes, it has minor limitations but is eminently useable and we love it. Paul Kelly himself seems a good guy and the staff in Ch'ch were impeccable. Clive Shaw Timaru

To Rob Dickson ...'ah paul kelly never change...' What do you mean? Kelly's imported a lightly used Tesla M3 LR from Japan which I grabbed. Yes, it has minor limitations but is eminently useable and we love it. Paul Kelly himself seems a good guy and the staff in Ch'ch were impeccable. Clive Shaw Timaru
Did you read my post? They are listing it with a Compact Disk player. ..

I for one would be interested to know what the limitations and benefits of a JDM Model 3 are.
Can you Supercharge it, do the maps work, does the seller offer support post purchase.
This is of much more interest than a disagreement over the accuracy of the ads, although accuracy in advertising is still important.
Would you be willing to expand on your experiences with your JDM Model 3?

Meloccom; We now have a wall charger set to 24amps and free power from 9 to 12pm so don't need supercharger. Google mapping without navigation is plenty for our needs as we know pretty much all of NZ-Aotearoa. Level 2 to level 1 adapter on way so charging away from home will be no problem. I do not miss petrol/ICE at all after a lifetime including perhaps about 70 vehicles world-wide. Timaru to Ch'ch return easily on 80% charge, and acceleration my wife calls 'beguiling' but she requires a notification before I put my foot down. A chance acquaintance going by with his new white M3 seemed envious that our red Chichi is 'faster'... The car is as near immaculate as one could expect; I've done a few minor tweaks such as reinforcing the cabin intake grille fixing supports and taping minor gaps with black electrical tape. Chichi is quiet and rattle-free and we love Chichi (no pronoun) to bits...

Just for those reading this later looking for information,

We at Drive EV have converted our SR+ to NZ supercharging last year (which is a 3 phase charger vs the stock single phase) as well as changed the nav and data and have it working on the app etc. Needs to have old FW in it though for us to work on the model 3 (at this moment anyway)

As for the Model S, we convert those and are still as far as we're aware the only ones that do it. All the other dealers seem to just sell the car with no details about it not supercharging or not having NZ maps etc. NZ Maps is easy, Tesla will do it for a small fee ($400 from memory?) so we don't offer that anymore. The Type 2 conversion we still do as Tesla quoted one of our customers 30K to do that job....

And we can do CCS conversion also on the Model S.

The 'suicide' adapters clearly work for DC charging. The Type 3 has 3 phases and neutral, and it shorts 2 phases together for DC, as well as one of the phases and neutral (thanks Tesla for not using a normal charge port haha) which means it works for DC, but of you connect to a destination charger, you pop breakers with that adapter! Also, it doesnt have the safety latch to stop you from pulling the lead out while charging. That stops you from disconnecting the connector with current flowing, and it arcing and sparking and potentially zapping people/the car/your cat etc, or simply just welding itself into the car, so you can not AC charge it anymore.

And the Chademo > jap connector is also $1500 if you can find one, so that adds up quick!

We obviously recommend the conversion, and we do it to every import we get in, but then we have some skin in the game

Just for those reading this later looking for information,

We at Drive EV have converted our SR+ to NZ supercharging last year (which is a 3 phase charger vs the stock single phase) as well as changed the nav and data and have it working on the app etc. Needs to have old FW in it though for us to work on the model 3 (at this moment anyway)

As for the Model S, we convert those and are still as far as we're aware the only ones that do it. All the other dealers seem to just sell the car with no details about it not supercharging or not having NZ maps etc. NZ Maps is easy, Tesla will do it for a small fee ($400 from memory?) so we don't offer that anymore. The Type 2 conversion we still do as Tesla quoted one of our customers 30K to do that job....

And we can do CCS conversion also on the Model S.

The 'suicide' adapters clearly work for DC charging. The Type 3 has 3 phases and neutral, and it shorts 2 phases together for DC, as well as one of the phases and neutral (thanks Tesla for not using a normal charge port haha) which means it works for DC, but of you connect to a destination charger, you pop breakers with that adapter! Also, it doesnt have the safety latch to stop you from pulling the lead out while charging. That stops you from disconnecting the connector with current flowing, and it arcing and sparking and potentially zapping people/the car/your cat etc, or simply just welding itself into the car, so you can not AC charge it anymore.

And the Chademo > jap connector is also $1500 if you can find one, so that adds up quick!

We obviously recommend the conversion, and we do it to every import we get in, but then we have some skin in the game
Hi,how can I contact you?my account can’t DM you🙏