Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here's how to charge with 32A commando in UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fraank

Jul 21, 2019
UK
Had replied to a comment with this, but figured it may help others or people searching for this in future.

The Model 3 comes with the Gen 2 UMC and a 16A commando adapter. This will allow the car to charge at 3.7kW, or 14 miles per hour.

If you want to use a 32A Commando socket to charge, you will need a 32A UMC adapter from Tesla. This will allow you to charge at 7.4W and 27 miles per hour with the UMC cable that comes with the car.

This was a simple and cheap option for me, as my house is not eligible for an OLEV grant.

To get hold of one, you need to email [email protected] and send them your RN number or VIN, postal address, and a telephone number - they will then call you to take payment over the phone. It's £39.99 including next day delivery (only option). I emailed them yesterday and had the below arrive today - so some of you might like to order, just to experience how fast a Tesla delivery can be o_O
MVIMG_20190821_130312.jpgMVIMG_20190821_130438.jpg MVIMG_20190821_130343.jpg

They also have a few other items like the roof rack and car mats, but hopefully UK store will be up soon.

I need a solution without a wall charger to charge my car at home every other evening, but I’m struggling to understand the concept of these “commando plugs”. I will present this to an electrician and see if it works for my situation. Im also not eligible for OLEV because my “off road parking” is not directly attached to my house so this may work out for me

You won't get the type B RCD for £150 let alone the installation..

This is where the type B RCD falls apart.

I’m struggling to understand the concept of these “commando plugs”. I

The commando sockets are just higher amperage than usual 3 pin sockets. Any suitable load could be plugged into the commando socket. What’s to say it will be an EV needing an expensive DC RCD?

You can plug an EV into any household 3 pin socket, charge at 2.1kW and nobody cares about the RCD.

Save a load of cash and get a 32A commando installed ignoring the type B RCD and it would get signed off.

The IET bureaucrats haven’t thought this through, they should insist every new socket be on a type B RCD. This would create a huge demand and eventually drive the price down. Alternatively the uproar would make them think a bit harder about whether they really need to be quite so belt and braces.

Perhaps a sensible alternative would be to put the RCD in the car, then the car is covered regardless of where it is plugged in.

Reactions: 512uk
Hmm, thanks both. Will ask for his comments tomorrow. I like this option as he has told me I can easily swap over for a WC in the future. He's been on an EVSE course recently so assume he knows the regs etc.

Hi All

First post here yet to order a M3 but doing the research on the supporting requirements like charging

I understand the Gen 2 UMC supplied with the M3 was limited to 16 amp regardless of the capability of the socket it’s plugged into is that not correct? The reason I ask is because I already have a32 amp commando socket in the back of my house near where I can park the car. This thread seems to imply I don’t really need to get a wall charger installed at all