Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

He's dead, Jim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got a message while driving to work that the car needs service and may not restart. I was able to physically get in at lunchtime, but it's now 100% dead. This afternoon a co-worker said it was smoking, which I thought was a joke given the car is a running office gag. Turns our he wasn't actually kidding. It smells bad, the lights don't turn on, the doors and trunks won't open, app can't connect, et cetera. Even holding the key in the appropriate spot by the door doesn't do anything. It will be fun to hear what gave up this time when they pick it up tomorrow.

Anyone else have a car go from fine to even unable to open doors that quickly? It had ~170 Miles of range when I parked it.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Was it smoking like this:
Apparently, yes. From the left front wheel well. I didn't see it myself. The car should have been off for several hours, but who knows what it was doing.

The local tech stopped by late last night and unplugged the 12v so it wouldn't do anything else. Not sure how he got in. Maybe the frunk since you can open it manually. It's pouring rain today so I doubt they'll do anything other than maybe tow it. I'll report back here once it's figured out so others will know. This is the last straw for this particular car, methinks.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Apparently, yes. From the left front wheel well. I didn't see it myself. The car should have been off for several hours, but who knows what it was doing.

The local tech stopped by late last night and unplugged the 12v so it wouldn't do anything else. Not sure how he got in. Maybe the frunk since you can open it manually. It's pouring rain today so I doubt they'll do anything other than maybe tow it. I'll report back here once it's figured out so others will know. This is the last straw for this particular car, methinks.

In my case it was the AC refrigerant that was leaking causing this

perhaps a better battery option? just got this email below:

Not rendering correctly? View this email as a web page here.

google-plus.png

Our Product Line Just Got Bigger & Better!

Introducing our new X-Series and HP-Series products
for super demanding applications.

Products.png

The X-Series:
Provides high power in a smaller package.

The HP-Series:
Provides the high power needed to start your motor, even after hours of powering your electronics.

Download our Product Specification Guide for more details.

AC compressor (1042442-00-I) & some contactor replaced. AC compressor was incredibly noisy for a few days beforehand, but still mostly functioned. Still had full charge too, so no one is sure what the "smoke" was, and it hasn't come back. Maybe it was steam from something overly hot since it was raining; I wish I would have personally seen it. The car detected an isolation failure of the main battery, so it disconnected once I put it in park, which explains the no driving. The 12v battery then couldn't charge, which made the doors unable to open after whatever cutoff voltage they have set.

Unrelated, but they also replaced the passenger falcon door window seal (1032168-88-D) as it was making a terrible noise while rolling down, and adjusted the passenger door window regulator which couldn't be rolled up at speed or it would go around the brightwork rather than into the window channel. I really wish the front doors had a frame. Nonstop issues with the frameless, at least on this particular car.

The second drive after I got it back, the "key no longer inside" message appeared yet again. It's being looked at early next week. Probably a body control module. Also Homelink now only works for a few minutes after a "reboot", but that is apparently a firmware problem in 2017.38.4 be12575.

• Informative
Reactions: spottyq