Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I Need A Dead Mouse Lackey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this week my brother opened the glovebox on my M3 and I noticed a mouse scrambling out. He said there were two others. Not a good sign. They had made themselves a nest using the insulation from under the carpeting. When we got home, I opened the glovebox again and saw a dead mouse trapped on the outside of the box at the pivot point on the right side.

This morning when I got in the car, I almost gagged, obviously another dead mouse. Couldn't take care of it until this afternoon. Removed the top kick panel and the smell got much worse. Removed the side panels to pull back the carpeting and saw nothing. Opened the glovebox again and noticed the offending corpse on the left side of the box. Removed the critter then wiped down the relevant areas with Lysol.

Posted a sign banning mice on the garage door, English and Finnish, one never knows in this part of Minnesota.

If you'd like to avoid chemicals, snakes are a low-odor eco-friendly treatment option.

diamond-python.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: LenoraJ and RayK
I find myself saying " I think I saw a few other threads on XXXXX" here a lot, because there have been threads on almost everything here (lol).

In that vein, "I remember a few other threads on rats / mice infestation in model 3, like these:

Maybe they have something in those that can help the OP here.

"I'd be wondering how they're getting into the garage and then patch up all potential entry points."

Over the years, I've found it virtually impossible to seal all cracks in order to prevent mice from getting in my house. If you use foam insulation, they just eat their way through it. Mice can squeeze thru the tiniest cracks in any structure. To prevent mice from getting into your car, leave it outside, obviously with no heat on in the cabin, because the mice are looking for a warm space. They will prefer your house to your Tesla. Also be sure there is no food in the car. I park our cars, a Volvo and a Tesla, outside all the time. Mice have gotten into the engine compartment of the Volvo and gnawed at the wiring several times. I've had my M3 for nearly three years and haven't had a problem with mice getting into it yet.

Over the years, I've found it virtually impossible to seal all cracks in order to prevent mice from getting in my house. If you use foam insulation, they just eat their way through it. Mice can squeeze thru the tiniest cracks in any structure.

But you can shove steel wool or any type of metallic dish scrubby-like material in the cracks and mice will never chew through it.

Peppermint oil, cinnamon, and citronella are all smells that mice don't like... so you could try keeping one of them in the glovebox.

Or you could just appreciate your new pets and stash some cheese in there.

I'd go for peppermint.

Earlier this week my brother opened the glovebox on my M3 and I noticed a mouse scrambling out. He said there were two others. Not a good sign. They had made themselves a nest using the insulation from under the carpeting. When we got home, I opened the glovebox again and saw a dead mouse trapped on the outside of the box at the pivot point on the right side.

This morning when I got in the car, I almost gagged, obviously another dead mouse. Couldn't take care of it until this afternoon. Removed the top kick panel and the smell got much worse. Removed the side panels to pull back the carpeting and saw nothing. Opened the glovebox again and noticed the offending corpse on the left side of the box. Removed the critter then wiped down the relevant areas with Lysol.

Posted a sign banning mice on the garage door, English and Finnish, one never knows in this part of Minnesota.
The best defence is lots of mouse traps, baited with peanut butter, in the garage. However count yourself lucky they they only wanted to nest! See my post here: