Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi from about to be owner...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

A little background: I've always been a die hard car guy. Had a slew of BMWs in the past, an Audi, a couple of 911s, Hondas, Toyotas, and a Prius. We currently own an Odyssey minivan for the family hauler duty, a Mini Cooper for my commute, and my prized toy...a 1982 911 SC.
Since the introduction of the Roadster and then the Model S I had always looked at Tesla and the EV revolution with a somewhat skeptical eye even in light of many friends and colleagues with Model S cars they always swore by.
My wife has always been a Tesla fan and kept mentioning the fact that we should get one. I have a nightmare commute over the SF Bay Bridge every day and I have to admit that seeing the EVs in the far lane just zip through got me thinking she was right.
Fast forward to the last few weeks where we have test driven the X, S, and 3 in that order. I've become smitten with the 3. I used to spend many a day at the track racing my cars as well as shifter go Karts. The 3 is quite a drivers car. A nice tight but compliant suspension and fantastic acceleration and roadholding. We love the simplicity of the interior as well as the exterior styling. Our car is being delivered this Sunday: Blue with white interior, long range AWD with 19" wheels and EAP.
I am a bit OCD about our cars so I'm concerned about all of the quality reports, but I'm approaching it with an open mind...I will go over the "checklist" thoroughly and ensure that all concerns get addressed. Before the purchase, we were loaned a car overnight and that Model 3 had no squeaks, rattles, or groans, felt drum tight, and the panels were perfect.
I'm not dismissing the fact that Tesla needs to (and sounds like they are) improve in the quality area, but I can also go on for a page or two about some of the issues I had with our previous BMWs and Audi as well as Hondas and Toyotas.
Ironically the best build quality of any car I have ever owned is my 1982 911...but I digress.
Anyway, I just wanted to say how much we're looking forward to being part of the crowd. All of your posts and insights have really helped us to make the decision.

Welcome aboard. You will find driving the future is a hell of a lot of fun.
While I don't have a 3 my Model S has been pretty much flawless.

The full tank every morning (get a home level 2 charger for sure) and the smoothness have to be experienced to be believed.

You WILL have fun.

Hi Everyone,

A little background: I've always been a die hard car guy. Had a slew of BMWs in the past, an Audi, a couple of 911s, Hondas, Toyotas, and a Prius. We currently own an Odyssey minivan for the family hauler duty, a Mini Cooper for my commute, and my prized toy...a 1982 911 SC.
Since the introduction of the Roadster and then the Model S I had always looked at Tesla and the EV revolution with a somewhat skeptical eye even in light of many friends and colleagues with Model S cars they always swore by.
My wife has always been a Tesla fan and kept mentioning the fact that we should get one. I have a nightmare commute over the SF Bay Bridge every day and I have to admit that seeing the EVs in the far lane just zip through got me thinking she was right.
Fast forward to the last few weeks where we have test driven the X, S, and 3 in that order. I've become smitten with the 3. I used to spend many a day at the track racing my cars as well as shifter go Karts. The 3 is quite a drivers car. A nice tight but compliant suspension and fantastic acceleration and roadholding. We love the simplicity of the interior as well as the exterior styling. Our car is being delivered this Sunday: Blue with white interior, long range AWD with 19" wheels and EAP.
I am a bit OCD about our cars so I'm concerned about all of the quality reports, but I'm approaching it with an open mind...I will go over the "checklist" thoroughly and ensure that all concerns get addressed. Before the purchase, we were loaned a car overnight and that Model 3 had no squeaks, rattles, or groans, felt drum tight, and the panels were perfect.
I'm not dismissing the fact that Tesla needs to (and sounds like they are) improve in the quality area, but I can also go on for a page or two about some of the issues I had with our previous BMWs and Audi as well as Hondas and Toyotas.
Ironically the best build quality of any car I have ever owned is my 1982 911...but I digress.
Anyway, I just wanted to say how much we're looking forward to being part of the crowd. All of your posts and insights have really helped us to make the decision.
It won’t be perfect but you will love it.

• Helpful
  • Love
Reactions: Jaywlker and IdaX
Welcome to the fam. These vehicles are incredible and you won't be disappointed. Just remember that for every bad experience, there are many good ones you never hear about. Mine was pretty good; it came with about four small paint blemishes that should be easy to take out, and one tiny knick that will definitely need some paint repair, but other than that the car was pristine.

Enjoy your new Model 3! Also, nice combo on the blue with white interior.

I’m not much of a car guy...at least I wasn’t until I ordered and received my Model 3 a couple of weeks ago. Now, I’m obsessed with PPF, ceramic coating, tint options (went with 35 all around), the two bucket wash system (perfectly happy with the occasional auto-wash before), and every accessory you can name. Not to mention that I can’t stop reading these posts! Enjoy!

Hi Everyone,

I owned an S and just traded to a performance 3. I still race karts. I found the 3 felt more kart like than my S. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Love your choice of colours. I'm wishing Tesla would make an electric kart we could race one day. :)
My 3 is currently in the body shop getting paint "errors" fixed up and the rear window replaced. Window had a stress crack. My panels were perfect and I don't have any rattles or squeaks. Be sure to take your time and go over the car with a flashlight.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
Jealous! I wish blue with white had been available when I configured. Oh well...Model Y awaits!
I equate Model 3 ownership to waking up every morning like it is Christmas.
And being a teenager again who just got their driver's license for the first time...thinking up excuses to go drive somewhere. Anywhere.
My 3 was a relatively early build, and only had one issue which already had a TSB and was resolved quickly by the Service Center. In short, your car will be great at delivery.
Personally, I'd just reject it if it has any paint issues at delivery. There is still plenty of time for Tesla to bring you another before 12/31, particularly since you live in the Bay Area.
Tesla will improve its paint quality faster if their reject rate is higher.

Reactions: RBowen
I've always been a die hard car guy...We currently own an Odyssey minivan

Those two statements are mutually exclusive. :D

I have a nightmare commute over the SF Bay Bridge every day and I have to admit that seeing the EVs in the far lane just zip through got me thinking she was right.

Honestly, the HOV lane is the least handy feature in traffic. EAP absolutely changes sitting in stop-and-go traffic, and makes is as bearable as it could ever be.

I am a bit OCD about our cars so I'm concerned about all of the quality reports

You drive a minivan. The embodiment of giving up on cars and life. Tesla does not have the manufacturing prowess of Honda, so don't bother comparing. The "checklist" things that are going around are fine, but I think a lot of people are seeing issues that really aren't there because the checklist tells them to care about it. That gets a big "meh" from me.

Get your paint corrected by a professional detailer, look for dramatically misaligned body elements, make sure there is no damage to the car anywhere. That's pretty much it. Either way, a lot of the problems people experienced early on are non-issues these days.

...that Model 3 had no squeaks, rattles, or groans, felt drum tight, and the panels were perfect.

That's pretty much the experience you can expect, yeah.

This is the thing that those of us with experience with vehicles and brands have been saying since day 1. There have been a couple glaring examples of "WTF" that made it to customers, but every other manufacturer has the same problems with rework that Tesla does. And they have cars make it to customers that are absurd, too. The major difference is that Tesla has been in this game for 6 years, and they're catching up quick.

That's not even ironic. I'd completely expect that. German cars like the Porsche in the 80s and early 90s were fantastically crafted vehicles. There were some serious process improvements in those eras, and Germany and Japan took the lead in a serious way.

Congratulations on your new car! For the second time today, I'm going to say there's nothing like getting a car you love. It sounds like this is going to be the case for you, and I'm excited for you and the experiences you're about to have. EVs are different, but MAN are they a blast!

OP here...pickup is tomorrow at 10:15 am. Very excited. I'll post my delivery issues/non-issues tomorrow.
A quick question for Bay Area drivers: I'm not planning to apply for the stickers until Jan so I can get exemption until January of 2023. I'm assuming it's not cool to use the lane without the stickers through December? Anyone done this?