Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hidden CPO Costs: stories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla friends: For folks here who have recently purchased a CPO, can they share some of the unexpected costs encountered during purchase and immediately post purchase?

I assume there will often be *some* body work, since these CPO pictures are apparently taken with a Motorola RZR phone circa 2004 and show nothing clearly. Was the condition worse or better than expected? And what other costs have folks encountered in the process?

Thank you in advance for your time.

p.s. I know the CPO process quality has gotten worse and worse. So this inquiry is for the recent months. Can't turn back the clock, McFly...

I received mine shortly after the CPO program ended. It was missing metal spring clips on the nosecone. The nosecone fell off in a car wash shortly after delivery, getting scratched up in the process. I asked Tesla for help - wouldn’t intact body panels be a part of the 70 point mechanical inspection? They installed new spring clips, but declined to repair/replace the nosecone. A little disappointing, but not worth raising a fuss about.

There were a few other issues on my car that Tesla did take care of (missing J1772 adapter, loose rocker panel trim piece, clicking steering wheel).

This was Westmont, IL.

Besides the nosecone, the rest of the vehicle was and remains in very good cosmetic condition.

• Informative
Reactions: MC408
Oct 2018 CPO / Used car purchase P85D

Vehicle price $54,800+
Sales tax $5,069 +
License fee -$356 +
registration fee $257

A chip in the windshield that Tesla said they would fix - brought to SC pop up and other than taking 3 days, was hassle free

A sqeeky seat - read on TMC to use this lubricant and it will go away. $20on amazon

Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDALQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Yb0bCbYQYHEY1

A few minor rock paint chips in hood and front bumper, but nothing unexpected. May get paint correction and ceramic coating but not necessary, more a want

Upgraded wheels from 19” cyclones to 21” arachnids

overall, I had a positive experience and tempered expectations knowing the process would not be smooth.

• Informative
Reactions: BoerumHill
Oct 2018 CPO / Used car purchase P85D

Vehicle price $54,800+
Sales tax $5,069 +
License fee -$356 +
registration fee $257

A chip in the windshield that Tesla said they would fix - brought to SC pop up and other than taking 3 days, was hassle free

A sqeeky seat - read on TMC to use this lubricant and it will go away. $20on amazon

Krytox GPL 205 Grease, Pure PFPE/PTFE, 0.5 oz Tube https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWLDALQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Yb0bCbYQYHEY1

A few minor rock paint chips in hood and front bumper, but nothing unexpected. May get paint correction and ceramic coating but not necessary, more a want

Upgraded wheels from 19” cyclones to 21” arachnids

overall, I had a positive experience and tempered expectations knowing the process would not be smooth.
This is great information. Thank you!

Reactions: MC408
I received mine shortly after the CPO program ended. It was missing metal spring clips on the nosecone. The nosecone fell off in a car wash shortly after delivery, getting scratched up in the process. I asked Tesla for help - wouldn’t intact body panels be a part of the 70 point mechanical inspection? They installed new spring clips, but declined to repair/replace the nosecone. A little disappointing, but not worth raising a fuss about.

There were a few other issues on my car that Tesla did take care of (missing J1772 adapter, loose rocker panel trim piece, clicking steering wheel).

This was Westmont, IL.

Besides the nosecone, the rest of the vehicle was and remains in very good cosmetic condition.

Good to know. When was this and what model year MS?

Bought our used X P90DL from Tesla a month ago. *Knock on wood* everything has been fantastic so far. The 22” black wheels did not have a single nick anywhere, and the paint was immaculate...not a single scratch or rock chip visible to the eye anywhere. No scratches on the shiny black seat backs. No color transfer or ripped holes on the perforated real leather seats. No dirty grime on the alcantera trim anywhere. The OEM floor mats even seemed to be washed. And I measured the tires to be at least 8/32” all around with no uneven wear. Only thing is I didn’t get the Tesla license plate frame; unsure if a used car is supposed to get one.

Tesla seems to have gotten better with QC overall relative to when we last got one at the end of 2016. But, still, they do not have a perfect QC record as of now. The panel gaps on my used 2016 X are perfect all around, but there were new S/3/X’s that I saw waiting to be delivered at the same time with worse panel gaps. One new 3’s trunk arm (is that what it’s called?) I saw had at least 1cm offset where it meets the roofline. There’s no way that trunk opened/closed nicely.

The pictures of used Tesla’s these days are still hit and miss. Just depends on who’s doing the car cleaning and what camera (or phone) someone is using at any given moment. No standard practice across the nation, or even within the same region.

I probably asked for a couple dozen VIN pictures before finally settling on one. I’ve seen both clean and dirty examples. One even had a single wheel that was of a different color.

Only thing we paid on top of the listed price was tax and registration, which is excessive in CA.

For those needing to have the new red HOV decals in CA, you can also buy a used Tesla manufactured before 2017 and take delivery (or have it shipped) from a non-CA Tesla store, ie. in Washington/Arizona. CA allows applying for a HOV decal on any used car that was on the eligibility list as long as the particular VIN was not previously applied for in CA.

For those needing to have the new red HOV decals in CA, you can also buy a used Tesla manufactured before 2017 and take delivery (or have it shipped) from a non-CA Tesla store, ie. in Washington/Arizona. CA allows applying for a HOV decal on any used car that was on the eligibility list as long as the particular VIN was not previously applied for in CA.
Definitely the plan. Tesla knows it too, hence the change in policy. Nobody wants to buy a pre 2017 CA Tesla in CA . So instead they will their CA cars to the rest of the country and will bring back non CA cars here. My 2 cents.

• Love
Reactions: Topgun66
Definitely the plan. Tesla knows it too, hence the change in policy. Nobody wants to buy a pre 2017 CA Tesla in CA . So instead they will their CA cars to the rest of the country and will bring back non CA cars here. My 2 cents.

A good change in policy. Unfortunate for us though as it looks like we just missed out on the timing. They were adamant in not shipping for free even a month ago when we were shopping around.