Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Frequency Noise/Hum-New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still taking mine in. Mines not a MYP it’s a LR but still making a “noise.” And I get what you’re saying about the M3 LR being silent! That’s probably why I noticed it, going from my 3 to the Y.
I’ve only had it 4 days and I want it on record that I brought it in for service for this issue. That way in the future if something happens, it’s in writing.
Its something with the newer drive motors. They said some SC fix it or try to at least, mine did neither.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
What’s really bad is when you are so focused on it you can hear it over the music which obviously you have turned up to drown it out.
Everyone’s hearing is different, hubby can’t hear it, I can. It’s like a dog whistle almost, some people can hear it and some can’t 😆

What’s really bad is when you are so focused on it you can hear it over the music which obviously you have turned up to drown it out.
Everyone’s hearing is different, hubby can’t hear it, I can. It’s like a dog whistle almost, some people can hear it and some can’t 😆
Can you show a video with a link if you can't upload it directly since the Sounds are very subjective. I am thinking maybe you hear the noise frequency level at the 1.5k to 2k

Can you show a video with a link if you can't upload it directly since the Sounds are very subjective. I am thinking maybe you hear the noise frequency level at the 1.5k to 2k
1) I did record a video but I don’t know how to upload it on here—I’m NOT technically savvy
2) What do you mean noise frequency level 1.5k to 2k, I don’t understand 😂

More worried about them messing something up while fixing the noise at this point. Nobody in my family has complained about the noise, but now I can't stop hearing it because it might not be within spec. lol
I didn’t notice it today. If I dont hear it again between now and my service apt, I’ll just cancel it.

Reactions: oghowie
Watching to see how things pan out for others. I picked my MYLR last Monday and I definitely have this as well. Any time I get on the throttle, at low speeds all the way to highway speeds, it sounds like a dentist's drill and gets higher pitched at higher speeds. It is really grating. I haven't setup a service appointment yet because I already have one for Wed to fix my rear buttons to fold seats down that don't work and a coat hanger that won't latch. Didn't want to add this and have my appointment be rescheduled. I'll plan to ask the service tech his thoughts and see if he wouldn't mind making a note of it so I could then reference that in my follow-on request. I'm worried about getting the "in-spec" answer, but I guess I'll wait and see.

Does it sound like an airplane taking off?

I hear a high-pitch whine but it's not a nuisance. Sounds more like a faint jet engine to me.
Yup, very much so. I think the tricky bit is that some are more sensitive to high pitch sounds and also, I suspect there is quite a bit of variability in the sound insulation across cars from Tesla so it may be a very minor thing for some and very grating for others. Really hard to disambiguate all of it, which is also likely why the "within spec" argument may often be thrown around.

Reactions: bobbyjae
That's interesting! Did you just stuff it in the empty space between the frame / electronics shown here (1:30 mark)?

Yes. Filled up that area with high density foam with a lining on it. Just search for Sound Deadening mat / roll. I think I bought mine off of ebay. By the way, I did not use the adhesive on mine to hold it in place, just layered it in their on top of each other so I can quickly take it back to stock for trade/sale. It’s better, but not perfect.

There's a noticeable increased rear drive unit whine in our 2022 MY LR AWD as compared to our 2021 cruising at any constant speed and most noticeable <50 mph (probably because other noises start to become more prominent above). It's the first thing my wife noticed when driving and the frequency is slightly lower than the high frequency noise of heavy acceleration. We've requested a service-center appointment from when we get back from Hawaii but this sound is going to be problematic if not resolved. We'll probably sell this MY once our Rivian R1S vehicle becomes available (s00n = 1H2023?) but hopefully the issue gets resolved and the Model Y doesn't stay a root canal dental chair.

Reactions: 3YMimi73
Yes. Filled up that area with high density foam with a lining on it. Just search for Sound Deadening mat / roll. I think I bought mine off of ebay. By the way, I did not use the adhesive on mine to hold it in place, just layered it in their on top of each other so I can quickly take it back to stock for trade/sale. It’s better, but not perfect.
Any heat issues with doing something like this?

Reactions: Pianewman
There's a noticeable increased rear drive unit whine in our 2022 MY LR AWD as compared to our 2021 cruising at any constant speed and most noticeable <50 mph (probably because other noises start to become more prominent above). It's the first thing my wife noticed when driving and the frequency is slightly lower than the high frequency noise of heavy acceleration. We've requested a service-center appointment from when we get back from Hawaii but this sound is going to be problematic if not resolved. We'll probably sell this MY once our Rivian R1S vehicle becomes available (s00n = 1H2023?) but hopefully the issue gets resolved and the Model Y doesn't stay a root canal dental chair.
I'm starting to get used to the sound or it's starting to quiet down after 2k miles.