Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Millage Lease and Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone

I have reserved a model 3 and plan on leasing it for 3 years. I have never leased a car before always paid cash but when I ran the math of roughly a $70k model 3 (guess at a ludicrous cost) I would come out ahead when I factor in 100% business expense... compared to buying it cash.

The question I have is in the past I drive roughly 15k to 20k miles a year and that at the high end put me at 60k after 3 years.
Now I wondered what would happen with the 50k mile warranty and after calling Tesla they said I would be on my own for the last 10k more or get a extended warranty just for the last 10k miles.
I understand the miles over 15k will cost .25 a mile. I still come out ahead compared to my 14 miles to the gallon CTS-V...

Any other ideas on what I could / should do?
Risk the last miles or get the warranty but sound like a waste of money...

Thank you

I would just risk the 10K. If you drive as much as you project, it will go by very quickly. You could always take it in at 50K and get a full inspection, etc. The extended warranty is $4000 (at least for the S - maybe different for the 3), so odds are you would not have that many things go wrong in that last 10K.

Could someone enlighten me, I don't understand why it would be a concern in a leased car. Assuming something goes wrong with the car, say the center screen goes kaput or the steering rack fails. Is it not the responsibility of Tesla to address the problem and not of the customer leasing the car.

Hi JoRey

From what I understand the warranty acts normal even with a lease. So lets say I drive 60k miles over 3 years and bumper to bumper warranty is 50k. I will be on my own. After talking to Tesla the lease does not change the warranty.

Hi JoRey

From what I understand the warranty acts normal even with a lease. So lets say I drive 60k miles over 3 years and bumper to bumper warranty is 50k. I will be on my own. After talking to Tesla the lease does not change the warranty.

So does Tesla charge you for the repair, if say the car develops a fault. If not I do not see a reason for concern, just drive the car and return as-is. Perhaps, you can write up some type of agreement when you lease the car. That if a fault occurs, that is not covered under warranty it is expressly understood that you are under no responsibility to repair the fault.