Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Pitch Whining Noise from rear motor when shifting into gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal to have a whining high pitch noise when shift to gear (R or D) and shift back to park? I understand it is to release the parking brake. However, can anyone with an older MYLR (Dec 2020 and earlier) help me confirm? I am thinking Tesla changed the design. The sound is much different than the 23 MYLR.

I have an older MYLR (2021 MYLR pick up in Dec). My brother just pointed out that my car is really loud compared to his 2023 MYLR when shifting to gear and park. We both have a start up whining noise but mine is much louder and at a much higher pitch whining sound.
Just wondering if it is normal perhaps they changed the design since?

For the 2023 MYLR, there is a very noticeable click sound first before the start-up sound, and the whining pitch is much lower. I have confirmed this click sound with another 2022 MYLR as well.

In my 21 MY I do not have any click sound and go straight to high pitch whining sound when shifting.
Attached are links to the video.
1. 2021 MYLR New video by Tommy Wu
2. 2023 MYLR New video by Tommy Wu

Parking brake actuator noise, from P to Ror D, and back into P, is normal. My 12/20 produced MYLR has the noise. It's not always the same intensity.

Our 2019 Toyota Avalon Hybrid has the same issue. It's annoying, but normal.

Reactions: kaizen099
Parking brake actuator noise, from P to Ror D, and back into P, is normal. My 12/20 produced MYLR has the noise. It's not always the same intensity.

Thank you very much. Yes My is also 12/20 produced MYLR as well. Just to confirm, you are saying yours sounded just like mine and does not sound like the 2023 that has lower pitch whining noise with a click? Both has that actuator noise but sounded very different.

If so, I am guessing Tesla must have changed the actuator since and it is not a defect. My warranty is about to end (assuming yours too at end of 24) so want to ensure I get all the issue taken care of.

I don’t notice either a click or whine when shifting gears in our 2023 MYP.
Thank you for responding. Were you inside the car when you were shifting gear? If so you may need to be outside and have someone else shift the gear. The e brake motor actuator will actuate to release the parking brake when you shift into gear in order for you to start driving. The sound you hear is the Actuator releasing . My question was I just wondering why the sound sounded so different… perhaps they change the e brake motor design or parts.

Thank you for responding. Were you inside the car when you were shifting gear? If so you may need to be outside and have someone else shift the gear. The e brake motor actuator will actuate to release the parking brake when you shift into gear in order for you to start driving. The sound you hear is the Actuator releasing . My question was I just wondering why the sound sounded so different… perhaps they change the e brake motor design or parts.
If I can’t hear the sound while I’m in the car, I’m not going to worry about it. 🙂

I’m not sure if this was the same with yours but I encountered something similar. Fortunately, my service center was incredibly helpful in diagnosing it. The technician accompanied me and quickly identified the problem. After stopping and inspecting under the back seat, we found the blue seal was not properly tucked away. They had to remove the battery and reseal it. An easy way to verify this is by removing the bottom of the rear seat (held in place by clips) and checking if the blue seal at the back is visible—it shouldn't be

Hi Thank you. I have read through the link you posted. I see that others have changed the rear caliper. Per the thread it seems that even Tesla tech has different opinions.

I understand there is supposed to be some noise when the actuator is activated, just wondering if it is normal when compared to the 2023 MYLR. My theory is that they have changed the supplier of the EPB actuator that is why the sound is much different.

However, I just want to confirm with you that your actuator noise (Dec 2020 MY) is similar to how mine sound? which is much louder and with high pitch noise vs the 2023 MYLR?

Additionally, mine has always been like that since I got the car. It is not like it all of the sudden become really loud. Is that how yours is as well? or did it gradually become worse? I have read other mentioned about the brake lube service as the annual maintenance item. However, wasn't sure if that is relevant here as related to the noise.

Your help is greatly appreciated.