Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched buzz from front of car and strange battery behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my MS for over three years now, so I'm used to quirky little things that come and go. Today's events caught my attention though.

I charged last night at home. When I went to unplug this AM and go to work, there was a high-pitched whining sound from the very front of the car. Sounded exactly like what this guy recorded a few years ago:

High pitched whining/buzzing noise coming from front of car?

The sound continued during about 10 minutes of my 15 minute commute. It could be heard inside the car especially with the air / radio off and while at a stop light, but could also be heard when driving too -- so it was fairly loud. Definitely from the front of the car. (I have RWD only so no motor up front). Did not change in intensity or pitch when driving vs stopped. I tried reset of screen, and turned off everything that I could and it continued. At least for the guy above, it turned out to be a bad coolant pump.

What was strange, and caught my attention even more, was the battery was lower than expected when I got in the car (making me think that this was draining my battery after it had charged). And the battery went down more than expected during my commute -- again, making me wonder if whatever is causing this sound is affecting battery.

BUT, the Whr / mi was off in the opposite direction: I cross a fairly steep mountain on the way to work. At the peak, I'm always at 600 to 675 Whr / Mi, depending on stop lights, traffic, etc. Today it was 275 Whr / mi. that's impossible. And it wouldn't correlate with the battery dropping faster than normal.

Anyway, just wondering what people thought. Not sure if the sound and the battery and strange energy calculations are related (would seem to be a strange coincidence if not). I've driven it several times since then and everything seems normal now. No sound. Normal battery drain, normal Whr/mi calculations, etc.

Thanks, in advance.