Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High pitched fan noise when driving 30+ mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2021 Model Y LR that's been flawless. We took delivery in October 2020. So we took the leap bought a 2nd one and just took delivery this week.

Unfortunately, this 2nd Model Y isn't so flawless. When I'm driving over 30 mph, there is a high-pitched whirring/buzzing fan-like sound (like a jet engine) that kicks in and is constant. It goes away when the speed drops below 20 mph. The pitch and volume are such that even cranking up the music doesn't cover it up. Our older Model Y does not do this. At first I thought it was the AC, but even with the cabin AC off, it still happens. It happens when the temp is 90F but also when the temp is 70F. I spoke with one of the guys in the Service Center, who said, "Every car is different. What you're describing sounds normal." Obviously, it is not normal. I made an appointment anyway.

Any tips on how to get the Service Center to take the issue seriously? Anyone have any sense of what this could be?

I was the poster for that topic on hissing, for mine, its a very faint hissing so might not be the same. But it helps if you can have someone else drive so you can change seat position to isolate the area it is coming from first. Then setup an appointment with technician to do the same. Thats what happened for me during my appointment. The technician and I drove the car a bit and we both realized its coming from driver side in front cause from rear seat, you hardly hear it...

Are you certain the noise is coming from the front of the Model Y? One possibility is that the rear drive unit perimeter penthouse seal was not installed.

Re: Issue was first described by service as a missing “battery to body seal” that was allowing the noise into cabin. After a few days for parts and other work, they called to say they had to wait for special jack stands from Fremont to drop the HV battery, and get to the penthouse seal location. Evidently this was the first for the Y. After repairs, tech said it was a seal around/in the penthouse allowing the noise. Issue was completely resolved. Very happy with the car and the service experience, despite how extreme this repair seems to have been.

Just checked part replaced: SEAL,PERIMETER,PENTHOUSE,MDL3(1467057-00-C)

MY Loud Whine

More like a high-pitched whirring sound, rather than a hissing. Imagine a jet engine spooling up to taxi on the runway.

Are you certain the noise is coming from the front of the Model Y? One possibility is that the rear drive unit perimeter penthouse seal was not installed.

It does seem to be coming from the front. Perhaps the drive unit in the front could be among the culprits?

Today was a hot and humid day, and I did notice that the noise was even worse, making me wonder if this is a radiator or cooling system issue.

I have an early 2020 production Model Y. The early production Model Y vehicles did not come with the acoustic wrapping on the HVAC compressor (it is a foam covering for the compressor.) My Model Y did not come with this acoustic treatment. Shortly after delivery my Model Y's HVAC had a compressor oil leak, since repaired, I don't know if the acoustic cover was ever installed. Might be worth having Tesla service confirm that your Model Y is not missing this cover.

OP here. Frustrated after owning the car for two days, I removed the frunk cowl cover to see what was going on. Parked in my cool garage, the heat pump was surprisingly loud. Here's a video of it as I turn on the AC fan from 5 to 9 then to OFF. Even when it's OFF, it gives off a high-pitched buzz which is what I think resonates in the cabin and drives me bananas. More like piloting a Space X rocket on the launchpad than driving an EV. I did the same test with our other Model Y which is a few months older, and while I could hear the blower fans with the cowl cover off, the heat pump was nearly silent. Perhaps this is the culprit?

OP here. I took the car in to the Service Center. The technician was experienced, very respectful of my concerns, and acknowledged the noise. He replaced what he described as the AC compressor part 41CC(1501256-00-K). However, the noise is still present. He said that this is just a normal variant. He basically said that there's a lot of variation from car to car and that mine is on the noisy end of the spectrum.

That is really loud, sorry you’re having to deal with this. I’m eagerly (& apprehensively) awaiting my first Tesla (Y) and noises like this drive me nuts. I find it strange that there is the resignation by Tesla to deliver vehicles with a broad range of “within specs” issues. Even though frustrating & time consuming, probably doggedly pursuing this problem with the SC or above is the only option to get a satisfactory resolution

That is really loud, sorry you’re having to deal with this. I’m eagerly (& apprehensively) awaiting my first Tesla (Y) and noises like this drive me nuts. I find it strange that there is the resignation by Tesla to deliver vehicles with a broad range of “within specs” issues. Even though frustrating & time consuming, probably doggedly pursuing this problem with the SC or above is the only option to get a satisfactory resolution

Some Tesla's are fine, but some are not.

My advice to those taking delivery of a new Tesla. Yes, take delivery, BUT:

1) DO NOT trade in your old car. It's not worth any small financial benefit or convenience factor. Wait to make sure you absolutely love your new Tesla and drive it around for 500 miles or so in the harshest conditions you can find. Are there abnormal squeaks, rattles, rumbles, thumps, buzzing, etc? Or is it quiet and smooth? Then and only then should you sell your old car. Places like CarMax, Carvana, Webuyanycars, etc make it super easy to sell your old car for a good price.

2) If you don't like your new Tesla, you can still sell it close to MSRP with a couple thousand miles on it to various car dealers/brokers and keep driving your old car until you find something better.

3) Of course the question is why are so many almost new Teslas with less than 2000 miles on them being resold by used car dealers? Based on my experience getting sucker punched with the "within spec" Tesla corporate mantra several times in a short period of time, I'd bet many are throwing up their hands in defeat and letting their cars go. Perhaps these folks are wise to cut their losses early before sustaining depreciation or any shopping cart dings.

We have a 2021 Model Y LR that's been flawless. We took delivery in October 2020. So we took the leap bought a 2nd one and just took delivery this week.

Unfortunately, this 2nd Model Y isn't so flawless. When I'm driving over 30 mph, there is a high-pitched whirring/buzzing fan-like sound (like a jet engine) that kicks in and is constant. It goes away when the speed drops below 20 mph. The pitch and volume are such that even cranking up the music doesn't cover it up. Our older Model Y does not do this. At first I thought it was the AC, but even with the cabin AC off, it still happens. It happens when the temp is 90F but also when the temp is 70F. I spoke with one of the guys in the Service Center, who said, "Every car is different. What you're describing sounds normal." Obviously, it is not normal. I made an appointment anyway.

Any tips on how to get the Service Center to take the issue seriously? Anyone have any sense of what this could be?
Yes, we have the same whiny jet engine sound, but it happens under 30 miles/hr in the 2019 Model S. It didn’t happen in our prior 2016 Model S We’re you able to fix this? It’s not normal