Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High refrigerant temperature reported during and after supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today have experienced during a supercharging session (19-86%) some very loud fan noises with refrigerant temps reported by SMT above boiling (115 Celsius).
Have heard the fan so loud during last few weeks AC sessions to the point I went in the garage to check the noise I was hearing 2 floors above.
Could it be a faulty sensor? Looking at the cell temps it doesn’t look bad:

Attachments

• IMG_5592.png
    IMG_5592.png
    551.5 KB · Views: 152
For me it does like an airplane with the car shut off, no AC inside. After unplugging it continues to do so for 20-30 minutes.
What is strange is that the AC inside the car blows a lot colder than it should. Even at 23 celsius it blows freezing cold air. That’s why I wonder is some temp sensors quit.

Others have advised you to get some gauges on your refrigerant lines. Which is what you should do. When the evaporator is delivering really cold air it is freezing up which is a sign that you are low on refrigerant. What happens is all the liquid refrigerant boils into gas before exiting the evaporator and then supercools after that. The normal exit air temp for R134a for the evaporator is 43 degrees F. It's probably a simple top-up with refrigerant. R134a does leak through the rubber hoses over time.