TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Highway 1 range?

Discussion in 'California' started by Lump, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Lump

Lump Active Member

#1 Lump, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    With a 85kwh doing a range charge at Gilroy heading south on 101, continue on HWY 156 over to HWY 1 down the coast to Atascadero SC is roughly 180 miles, we will probably spend 1 or 2 nights along the route but I haven't driven HWY 1 in a long time & was wondering is that portion of HWY 1 a range killer? Since its a family road trip I will drive comfortably & I am looking at hotels to charge at but hoping its not required, any advice?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

The route on Highway 1 is scenic with lots of ocean views. The road is twists and curves, but stays fairly level with not a lot of elevation change. When you jump over the mountains from Highway 1 to Atascadero, there is about a 3500 foot elevation change. If you leave with a range charge, and are able to pick up anything along the way to counter the Vampire you should be fine.

3. Apoclyps

Apoclyps Member

I guess the time spent being in Gilroy won't fend off the vampire? :tongue:

4. Lump

Lump Active Member

Thanks Lloyd.

Since its our first road trip going from LA to the factory for a tour & then down the coasts without having the car yet, I want to play things safe until I get accustomed to super charging & range, so I will be range charging at Gilroy, I don't think it will be that busy on a Monday night around 5 pm.

5. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I did Gilroy to SLO via 1 in my 60 with no problem.

6. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

That was certainly my instinct. Rather than being a range killer, I think a road like Highway 1 is perfect for getting excellent range. Speed and stop/start are the two things that decrease range. Slower steady driving on a curvy road is ideal.

7. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

How do you calculate the 3500 ft change? Are you total change including the ascent from the coast over the mountains and the descent? I've never done that drive but Atascadero is only at 834 feet in elevation.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

It's the mountain in between that is 3500 ft.

9. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

Wow, I never realized that the road from Atascadero to Morro Bay/Cambria had to climb that much. Good to know. With a 60, probably a lot safer to start a trip from SLO and head up 1 where there is not much of an elevation change.

10. metafor

metafor Member

If you're really that worried (or wanna drive a bit crazy, highway 1 is the place for it) just use a chargepoint at monterey. It's a nice beach city so there's plenty of stuff to do for ~2 hours.

11. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

#11 SFOTurtle, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    I mentioned this to a friend and out of curiosity, we went on Google Earth and tracked the elevation along both Highway 46 to 101 and Highway . It looks like Highway 41 tops out at an elevation of just under 1800 feet in one stretch. Highway 46 is about the same, so elevation change is not something to be sneezed at but not 3500 feet. But from a full charge at the Gilroy SCs, this will be close with a 60 depending on how conservative one drives along Highway 1.

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#12 Norbert, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    Would it perhaps cost less charge to drive via SLO, then back to Atascadero? (Or, as plan B, one could charge in SLO, I guess, if the remaining range isn't sufficient.)

13. jyc

jyc Member

We recently did a similar trip down Highway 1 without a problem, but started in San Diego, went up to San Mateo and then back down Highway 1 until it rejoins I-5 back to San Diego.

We charged up in Gilroy and then topped off in Monterey with a range charge (unnecessarily it turns out). From there, we went down Highway 1 to Big Sur and arrived with 212 miles of range. Stayed 2 nights without charging. Left Big Sur with about 198 miles of range. Continued down Highway 1 and then took a detour to Hearst Castle in San Simeon before heading over to the supercharger in Atascadero with 68 miles of range left. Although we were traveling heavy (2 adults, 1 baby, 1 dog and with trunk and frunk stuffed to the gills), we kept within reasonable speeds even with the air conditioning set to 69 the whole way. I would imagine that even with a heavier foot, it should be fine.

When planning trips, I find this site helpful, as it will take elevation changes into account as well as the weight of your passengers, luggage and self-reported driving habits. I find that it is pretty conservative in terms of how much remaining battery it predicts (or my inputs are a little off). Unfortunately, it requires Flash, so not usable on most mobile devices.

http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/