Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway 1 range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
With a 85kwh doing a range charge at Gilroy heading south on 101, continue on HWY 156 over to HWY 1 down the coast to Atascadero SC is roughly 180 miles, we will probably spend 1 or 2 nights along the route but I haven't driven HWY 1 in a long time & was wondering is that portion of HWY 1 a range killer? Since its a family road trip I will drive comfortably & I am looking at hotels to charge at but hoping its not required, any advice?

Last edited:
The route on Highway 1 is scenic with lots of ocean views. The road is twists and curves, but stays fairly level with not a lot of elevation change. When you jump over the mountains from Highway 1 to Atascadero, there is about a 3500 foot elevation change. If you leave with a range charge, and are able to pick up anything along the way to counter the Vampire you should be fine.

The route on Highway 1 is scenic with lots of ocean views. The road is twists and curves, but stays fairly level with not a lot of elevation change. When you jump over the mountains from Highway 1 to Atascadero, there is about a 3500 foot elevation change. If you leave with a range charge, and are able to pick up anything along the way to counter the Vampire you should be fine.

I guess the time spent being in Gilroy won't fend off the vampire? :tongue:

Thanks Lloyd.

Since its our first road trip going from LA to the factory for a tour & then down the coasts without having the car yet, I want to play things safe until I get accustomed to super charging & range, so I will be range charging at Gilroy, I don't think it will be that busy on a Monday night around 5 pm.

How do you calculate the 3500 ft change? Are you total change including the ascent from the coast over the mountains and the descent? I've never done that drive but Atascadero is only at 834 feet in elevation.

It's the mountain in between that is 3500 ft.

I mentioned this to a friend and out of curiosity, we went on Google Earth and tracked the elevation along both Highway 46 to 101 and Highway . It looks like Highway 41 tops out at an elevation of just under 1800 feet in one stretch. Highway 46 is about the same, so elevation change is not something to be sneezed at but not 3500 feet. But from a full charge at the Gilroy SCs, this will be close with a 60 depending on how conservative one drives along Highway 1.

Last edited:
We recently did a similar trip down Highway 1 without a problem, but started in San Diego, went up to San Mateo and then back down Highway 1 until it rejoins I-5 back to San Diego.

We charged up in Gilroy and then topped off in Monterey with a range charge (unnecessarily it turns out). From there, we went down Highway 1 to Big Sur and arrived with 212 miles of range. Stayed 2 nights without charging. Left Big Sur with about 198 miles of range. Continued down Highway 1 and then took a detour to Hearst Castle in San Simeon before heading over to the supercharger in Atascadero with 68 miles of range left. Although we were traveling heavy (2 adults, 1 baby, 1 dog and with trunk and frunk stuffed to the gills), we kept within reasonable speeds even with the air conditioning set to 69 the whole way. I would imagine that even with a heavier foot, it should be fine.

When planning trips, I find this site helpful, as it will take elevation changes into account as well as the weight of your passengers, luggage and self-reported driving habits. I find that it is pretty conservative in terms of how much remaining battery it predicts (or my inputs are a little off). Unfortunately, it requires Flash, so not usable on most mobile devices.

http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/