Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Deer at 50mph in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, at exactly the 1000 mile mark in my 1 month old Model 3, I hit deer in the Philadelphia suburbs! It was a full-sized doe. If I were to guess, I'd say close to 200 lbs. After initial impact, it slammed against my windshield and (I guess) hobbled away. It came absolutely out of nowhere and I'm not even sure I hit the brakes until after impact. Happy to report that I am okay. But unfortunately, I'm pretty positive the deer did not make it. To my surprise, the car only sustained limited damage and still runs fine. The front fender is cracked, the drivers side headlight is busted, the hood and drivers side front panel are dinged up. Wish me luck with the insurance/repairs saga...

Glad that you are ok and the car damage "appears" minimal considering the impact. Good luck with the insurance and keep us updated on the repair. We're in the area too and interested to see what the timeframe and costs would be for something like this.

Mostly there's nothing one can do to avoid hitting a deer. My personal investment in this effort is $8 deer whistlers. So far, 5 years x 2 cars & no accidents. Although this is not conclusive, the noise does appear to get nearby deer to turn their heads. So, while I'm not sure the whistlers have had any effect, I'm fairly certain that when I hit a deer, at least the deer will be looking at me. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Products-LLC-0001-Save-A-Deer/dp/B003XNGLJU

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Mostly there's nothing one can do to avoid hitting a deer. My personal investment in this effort is $8 deer whistlers. So far, 5 years x 2 cars & no accidents. Although this is not conclusive, the noise does appear to get nearby deer to turn their heads. So, while I'm not sure the whistlers have had any effect, I'm fairly certain that when I hit a deer, at least the deer will be looking at me. ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Living-Products-LLC-0001-Save-A-Deer/dp/B003XNGLJU
I just ordered 2 of them...….Thanks for the tip.

Wow. Not much damage. That's great! Just had a front-end collision with a Jeep myself. Low-speed, but the damage is severe. Jeep was fine, as was the driver. That's the good part. For me, it'll be $500 to Geico and several weeks in the body shop. 0419191156.jpg
0419191156.jpg
0419191156.jpg
0419191156.jpg