Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Deer at 50mph in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would be impressive. A white tail deer can run 30 MPH. That means it can go from 18 feet away to the center of your hood in half a second. Highway shoulders are 10 feet, so that's into the woods/ ditch. Maybe cross traffic collision warning system could be used?
Not sure if autopilot or any technology could’ve prevented this one. Unless of course we put tracking devices on all wildlife. Out of the woods and into my car. No shoulder.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
The low front end kept the mass of the body up on the sloping hood and windshield and knocked the legs out from under it. My old square front 240 Volvo would have been crushed the front past the radiator. I believe there is a Euro pedestrian spec that tries to spread the impact across the hood rather than a blunt force impact with perpendicular front end.

Hey all, at exactly the 1000 mile mark in my 1 month old Model 3, I hit deer in the Philadelphia suburbs! It was a full-sized doe. If I were to guess, I'd say close to 200 lbs. After initial impact, it slammed against my windshield and (I guess) hobbled away. It came absolutely out of nowhere and I'm not even sure I hit the brakes until after impact. Happy to report that I am okay. But unfortunately, I'm pretty positive the deer did not make it. To my surprise, the car only sustained limited damage and still runs fine. The front fender is cracked, the drivers side headlight is busted, the hood and drivers side front panel are dinged up. Wish me luck with the insurance/repairs saga...

To be clear, I'm loving this post because your car kept you safe. In so many other cars, hitting a 200lb doe at 50mph could have ended badly.

I hope you get it fixed soon.

(Tweet this to Elon, he loves safety stories about his cars)

Reactions: MissyMcBee and Sgos
Sorry this happened. Can I ask if there was any indication of the frontal collision warning (FCW) or automatic emergency braking (AEB)? I thought I saw a video once of a Tesla coming to a stop for a pedestrian. It seems that the system might consider a deer to be a large pedestrian. Anyone know if these features are enabled on the Model 3? If so, any speed restrictions?

Sorry this happened. Can I ask if there was any indication of the frontal collision warning (FCW) or automatic emergency braking (AEB)? I thought I saw a video once of a Tesla coming to a stop for a pedestrian. It seems that the system might consider a deer to be a large pedestrian. Anyone know if these features are enabled on the Model 3? If so, any speed restrictions?
It happened in a split second. I can confirm I have Automatic Emergency Braking turned on, but it was so instant I am pretty sure that it didn't initiate. Not 100% sure here, though.

First, darn sorry about this, but of course your health is the first thing.

Secondly: that's an interesting deformation of the fender on the hood side of the headlight where it meets the lower panel... right on the corner there,

There are a number of manufacturers who've been experimenting with using AEB in case of large animals.
I don't think it's on Tesla's radar yet (pun intended).

Note: Before I get any technical feedback, I know they'd use vision for this and not radar...

Deer have been known to run into the sides of moving (and stopped) cars...
Need Roadster VTOL tech...

Reactions: JeffK
First, darn sorry about this, but of course your health is the first thing.

Secondly: that's an interesting deformation of the fender on the hood side of the headlight where it meets the lower panel... right on the corner there,
I thought that was extremely odd too - how it is such a sharp indentation. My only thought is that it could have been a hoof? It was running at a sprint. Not sure about that one.