Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holbrook, AZ to Tuscon, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning a trip from Durango, CO through Holbrook, AZ to the Supercharging station at East Skyline Drive in Tuscon, AZ. The distance is 255 miles. I have a LR rear wheel drive Model 3 which is rated at 310/325 miles. I will be driving in January, 2020 when its cool/cold. I'm curious if anyone has made this trip and if I should be concerned?

Comments/suggestions?

Evtripplanner says it's easy, even in winter, with the 1400 for drop. Abettertripplanner says it'll be really tight. Not sure why they're different.

Both want to route right past the Farmington and Gallup Superchargers for that leg, though, which would make easy alternatives if you come up short.

I'm planning a trip from Durango, CO through Holbrook, AZ to the Supercharging station at East Skyline Drive in Tuscon, AZ. The distance is 255 miles.
Both want to route right past the Farmington and Gallup Superchargers for that leg, though, which would make easy alternatives if you come up short.
I think you're misunderstanding this, but granted the wording was confusing. This isn't talking about skipping Farmington or Gallup. Getting to Holbrook is no problem, and you can use whichever Superchargers you need. It's the last leg that is questionable, that he's talking about, since he says "The distance is 255 miles". It's only that last segment between Holbrook and Tucson that is 255 miles, and there is not a Supercharger directly on that route.

So, for recommendations:
I put in Holbrook to Tucson in Google Map routing to see what options and drive times it shows. That direct south route on highway 77 shows 235 miles, 4 hours 28 min. The alternative route along highways 260/87 toward Phoenix and then back along I-10 to Tucson shows as 285 miles, but 4 hours 34 minutes. So it's a longer distance, but makes up for it with a solid segment of high speed limit on the interstate, so they are almost the same drive time. And then if you take that longer route, it goes by Payson Supercharger and Casa Grande Supercharger, so you could just pull off at either one of those for a quick 15 minute break, and make it with no issues at all. Given that it's winter, that is probably what I would do.

I think you're misunderstanding this, but granted the wording was confusing. This isn't talking about skipping Farmington or Gallup. Getting to Holbrook is no problem, and you can use whichever Superchargers you need. It's the last leg that is questionable, that he's talking about, since he says "The distance is 255 miles". It's only that last segment between Holbrook and Tucson that is 255 miles, and there is not a Supercharger directly on that route.

So, for recommendations:
I put in Holbrook to Tucson in Google Map routing to see what options and drive times it shows. That direct south route on highway 77 shows 235 miles, 4 hours 28 min. The alternative route along highways 260/87 toward Phoenix and then back along I-10 to Tucson shows as 285 miles, but 4 hours 34 minutes. So it's a longer distance, but makes up for it with a solid segment of high speed limit on the interstate, so they are almost the same drive time. And then if you take that longer route, it goes by Payson Supercharger and Casa Grande Supercharger, so you could just pull off at either one of those for a quick 15 minute break, and make it with no issues at all. Given that it's winter, that is probably what I would do.

That's why I assumed it was the first part he wanted help with - the route both planners want to use from Durango to Holbrook is 255.3 miles, while the section from Holbrook to Tucson shows at 235 miles.

But certainly the request is ambiguous. :)

Holbrook to Tucson should be pretty easy, with the nearly 3,000 foot net altitude drop and a 235 mile route. Going back will be quite a bit harder...

That's why I assumed it was the first part he wanted help with - the route both planners want to use from Durango to Holbrook is 255.3 miles, while the section from Holbrook to Tucson shows at 235 miles.

But certainly the request is ambiguous. :)
Oh, I didn't think of that part. I thought the 235 and 255 were kind of in the margin of error, so I looked at first half having SC coverage, and the second half not, so that would be the troublesome part.

Its all downhill from there but can offer you a few more miles if you're worried about range. Going back up will require a stop in Casa Grande for Highway or a scenic trip through Winkleman/Globe or Florence/Superior/Globe/Roosevelt and then up through Payson. Depends on your idea of a road trip.

I drive my Model 3 AWD (LR) 200 miles from my Pinetop house to my Tucson House (a few miles past the supercharger at La Encantada). I charge to a full 310 miles and arrive with about 130 miles to my Tucson house (200 miles away). Holbrook is about 65 miles from Pinetop and you pass through Showlow, which is close to Pinetop. You will be actually driving less than 240 miles from Holbrook to Tucson. Anyway, I would not hesitate to make this trip from Holbrook to Tucson. Like other people have said, it's "all" downhill (mostly).

Follow Rocky H's recommendation. Don't do 77, Just go through Payson and PHX, easy peasy to get to Casa Grande on a charge from Holbrook in a S-85, (don't forget there is usually a lot of wind on the road out of Holbrook too!) Probably iffy making it to Skyline drive supercharger though, it's all up hill from Casa Grande to the Skyline drive supercharger. I live about 10 miles from the Skyline supercharger, and about 58 miles form Casa Grande supercharger, To drive from Casa Grand to my house takes about 75 range miles on my S85 - Takes about 13 range miles to the Skyline drive supercharger by Ina road- (Distance just over 10 miles) So while it's down hill from Holbrook to Tucson, it's not all down hill. As for Durango to Holbrook, you have Farmington and Gallup superchargers available to you. This should be an easy trip. probably 3 stops Gallup, Holbrook, Casa Grande. skipping Farmington and Payson on the way down. Maybe hit them on the way back just to mix it up. Enjoy the road trip.

Reactions: IronQQQ
Follow Rocky H's recommendation. Don't do 77, Just go through Payson and PHX, easy peasy to get to Casa Grande on a charge from Holbrook in a S-85, (don't forget there is usually a lot of wind on the road out of Holbrook too!) Probably iffy making it to Skyline drive supercharger though, it's all up hill from Casa Grande to the Skyline drive supercharger. I live about 10 miles from the Skyline supercharger, and about 58 miles form Casa Grande supercharger, To drive from Casa Grand to my house takes about 75 range miles on my S85 - Takes about 13 range miles to the Skyline drive supercharger by Ina road- (Distance just over 10 miles) So while it's down hill from Holbrook to Tucson, it's not all down hill. As for Durango to Holbrook, you have Farmington and Gallup superchargers available to you. This should be an easy trip. probably 3 stops Gallup, Holbrook, Casa Grande. skipping Farmington and Payson on the way down. Maybe hit them on the way back just to mix it up. Enjoy the road trip.
I would disagree about going through Payson, Casa Grande and Phoenix. It wastes about 1 hour of drive time. Best route is Holbrook -> Globe -> Tucson. It's also a more scenic drive. The 100 mile trip from Globe to Tucson takes less than 100 miles of range on my Model 3. There is a destination charger in Globe, although it's only 32A, but you won't need it. You can stop at Globe, which is about half way for a potty break of food. There is also a rest area at the bottom of the Salt River Canyon before you reach Globe.

Reactions: IronQQQ
One thing to keep in mind is that you may run into snow during your descent. You may consider going an even longer route on I-40 to Flagstaff and then down through Phoenix and then Tucson. The chance of the roads being cleared through Flagstaff is greater.