Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hole Under Car from Object in Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in a turn lane with vehicles all around me when I suddenly came on an object in the road that I couldn't avoid driving over. It looked to be a piece of a wooden fence post - roughly 4"x4"x1'. I pulled over and found at least cosmetic damage, but the car drove fine for the remaining ~5 minutes of my commute. No warnings or anything.

The hole is about 18" from the front of the car just off-center to the driver's side. Any suggestions on what to do about this and how urgent it is? I assume I put in a Service request, but not exactly sure what category it falls under - body damage, collision, other?? I'd appreciate any advice.

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

Do you want the good news or the bad news first?

OK, we'll start with the bad news... that's considered collision damage, unfortunately. So either you can pay out of pocket to repair, or file an insurance claim as a collision.

But now, the good news. The good news is that it's just a plastic cover. It can be easily, quickly, and fairly cheaply replaced. Not a major repair by any means; just a question of the part price from Tesla... they're usually reasonable on parts cost, so hoping for the best for you here.

Good luck! Thankfully it's "not a big deal" - just the plastic panel needs to be unscrewed, a new one installed, and you look good to go.

Reactions: android04
Thank you both for the informative replies. Hopefully it is indeed just cosmetic and a plastic part needs replacing. I think I'd at least want them to look at it to confirm that's all it is. So I'd probably just have them swap it out while they have it if it's not a fortune. I was fortunate enough to find an opening at my local shop this Thursday morning. I also just created a collision claim with my insurance just in case it's worse.

I'm not familiar with the MPP Front Motor Shield, but after my experience this morning it definitely seems like a wise investment. So I'd add that after I get this repaired, right?

Thank you both for the informative replies. Hopefully it is indeed just cosmetic and a plastic part needs replacing. I think I'd at least want them to look at it to confirm that's all it is. So I'd probably just have them swap it out while they have it if it's not a fortune. I was fortunate enough to find an opening at my local shop this Thursday morning. I also just created a collision claim with my insurance just in case it's worse.

I'm not familiar with the MPP Front Motor Shield, but after my experience this morning it definitely seems like a wise investment. So I'd add that after I get this repaired, right?
It's a direct replacement, so don't do it after you get this repaired, or you'll be paying twice!

Got it. After reading up on the Front Motor Shield, I came to that same conclusion and I'm ordering the shield now. I still feel like I should take it to Tesla Service to have them confirm there's no other internal damage beyond just cosmetic.

I agree with you. There is definitely some scraping on that piece of the, I believe, subframe? Hard to tell exactly what that is without seeing more of it, but I *think* that's the crossmember on the front subframe. And I'm not a professional, don't play one on TV -- so best to get someone to look at it and decide if that's just "road rash" or something that has to be addressed.

Got it. After reading up on the Front Motor Shield, I came to that same conclusion and I'm ordering the shield now. I still feel like I should take it to Tesla Service to have them confirm there's no other internal damage beyond just cosmetic.
Oh, definitely have it looked at by Service just to make sure there's nothing else damaged, and for your ease of mind.

I agree with you. There is definitely some scraping on that piece of the, I believe, subframe? Hard to tell exactly what that is without seeing more of it, but I *think* that's the crossmember on the front subframe. And I'm not a professional, don't play one on TV -- so best to get someone to look at it and decide if that's just "road rash" or something that has to be addressed.
That looks like the front stabilizer bar. It won't be affected by running over the 4x4 and the scuffed paint on it. I would just replace the broken plastic cover with the aluminum MPP one or this one HPS "MEET ME OUTSIDE" Skid Plate for Tesla Model 3