Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charger Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, Just waiting on delivery of my new Model S. Thought I would save some time and have the 32amp circuit installed in my garage ready for connection of the wall charger. However, my electrician tells me that he must protect the circuit with a Type B RCD which are horribly expensive (anything from $500 to $1,200) and hard to source. Has anyone else had this issue?

I should have mentioned that it is a bit silly to require it as in my case the supply board is right next to it and already has RCD. They also had to install an isolation switch next to the wall charger which also is redundant.
That's helpful - thanks. i was also told that I need an isolator next to the charger.

Apparently, the RCD Type B is required as the usual (and cheaper) Type A will not detect faults on the DC side of the charger circuit. Not usually a problem but becomes one once the charger is pumping out the DC current required to fast charge an EV as its enough to do you some serious damage! That said, it was my understanding that the Tesla wall charger already has an inbult RCD on the DC side which might explain why so many countries do not require the Type B. I have asked my sparkie to investigate further but if the regs state that he must install a Type bB then there is no way round that even if it will be effectively redundant.

Hi All, Just waiting on delivery of my new Model S. Thought I would save some time and have the 32amp circuit installed in my garage ready for connection of the wall charger. However, my electrician tells me that he must protect the circuit with a Type B RCD which are horribly expensive (anything from $500 to $1,200) and hard to source. Has anyone else had this issue?
yip - I have a sparky mate who was able to source me one at cost and it was still $400 I think - worth it though - if you think of it as 3 tanks of petrol that you wont be buying the maths is in your favour (oh and the 5 tanks for the Chademo adapter for us rural folk who need to travel)

If you have an older Model S/X (pre-May 2019) you'd be better off getting the CCS conversion done instead of buying the Chademo adapter these days. The conversion is now cheaper ($549) and will also be a requirement if you want to use any V3 Superchargers when they're rolled out in NZ (they will be CCS plugs only).

If you have a Model S/X after that period then it should come from the factory ready for CCS and probably came with the CCS to Type2 adapter

My RCD was also much less than $1000. As I recall about $200 or so, and it was not easy to source, the sparkie needed a special order. I ran a 40amp circuit from the switchboard to the charger about 10 metres away so I could park either front or rear into the garage.

If you are considering changing to an electricity supplier that offers cheaper off peak power, I found it frustrating they would not make the change until I supplied the rego number, VIN was not good enough!

S02

We have a Tesla wall charger fitted. Handbook insists on a suitable RCD. My sparkie explained that it monitors current to and from the charger and assumes that any difference is a leak to earth possibly through a person and shuts off in nanoseconds and presumably dumps any capacitive residual. He sez it'll probably not be useful on a properly assembled unit for years, but with aging and weathering down the road it could save a life. As for the switch 'surplus to requirements' I plug in switch on and let the system power up while I watch the light show!