Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger regulations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Do any of you know if there are any regulations regards the minimum height a charger can be installed off the floor, i would like mine installing on a wall but im concerned it will be too low to the floor to meet regs

Hi all

Do any of you know if there are any regulations regards the minimum height a charger can be installed off the floor, i would like mine installing on a wall but im concerned it will be too low to the floor to meet regs

It's classified as a power outlet (as it isn't actually charger at all), so has to comply with Part M of the building regs, I believe, which means fitting it no lower than 450mm and no higher than 1200mm from the ground level. In practice I doubt that anyone is going to be the slightest bit bothered if it's a bit higher than that off the ground. I'd not want to fit it too low, if there's a likelihood that it could get damaged by doing this (car reversing into it, for example, or someone standing on it).

The final test for Part M compliance is that it be accessible for someone who uses a wheelchair, and there's wiggle room in the regs I've found, because the set dimensions for things given in Part M are just one way of demonstrating compliance with the intention, not the only way. It's very unlikely that anyone would ever check, anyway, as long as the thing is easy enough to use in practice.

Last edited: