Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging a Model S P100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I've read quite a few threads but remain confused regarding the charger specs - I have an electrician who will be rehauling my house electricity and wants to know the spec for the EV charger. I'll be buying a P100D and would appreciate if you could help me with:

1- What should i provide him in terms of specs for the charger and the female part
2- Where can I buy the charger to install it

Thank you, sorry for the ignorance of my question!

These may help:

Tesla Advice Blog

Tesla Advice Blog

My recommendation would be a Tesla wall connector for $500 and ask your electrician to install it with the maximum amperage (up to 80amps continuous on a 100amp breaker) your home will support. While your P100D will max out at 48amps, if you ever get a second Tesla and load share, you’ll be able to charge both cars faster.

Last edited:
These may help:

Tesla Advice Blog

Tesla Advice Blog

My recommendation would be a Tesla wall connector for $500 and ask your electrician to install it with the maximum amperage (up to 80amps continuous on a 100amp breaker) your home will support. While your P100D will max our at 48amps, if you ever get a second Tesla and load share, you’ll be able to charge both cars faster.

Agreed 100% install as much power as possible whatever your house electrical supply can support.

I am an electrician and I installed a 100A, 240V circuit to my Wall Connector. My Model X only has the 48A charger, but if I ever decide to purchase a second Tesla, I'll be covered (because two Wall Connectors can "load share" one 100A circuit).

If you don't want to purchase a $500 Wall Connector, you can simply use the "plug-in" connector that comes with your Tesla (aka Mobile Connector). It requires a receptacle outlet (in lieu of a "hardwired" circuit like the Wall Connector requires). Tell your electrician you need a NEMA 14-50 receptacle installed. That would require a 50A, 240V circuit.

Tell your electrician to review Article 625 of the NEC before planning and performing the work.

Here are two pics of my Wall Connector installation, and one pic of my NEMA 14-50 receptacle (for my Mobile Connector):

Resized_20190219_075344_3283.jpeg
20190219_075114.jpg
20190219_075211.jpg

Attachments

• Resized_20190219_075344_3283.jpeg
    Resized_20190219_075344_3283.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 71
These may help:

Tesla Advice Blog

Tesla Advice Blog

My recommendation would be a Tesla wall connector for $500 and ask your electrician to install it with the maximum amperage (up to 80amps continuous on a 100amp breaker) your home will support. While your P100D will max out at 48amps, if you ever get a second Tesla and load share, you’ll be able to charge both cars faster.
I currently have a 240 V 50 AMP dedicated circuit in my garage. I used this to charge my 2015 Tesla S 85. I was quite happy with the charging rate.

I sold my old Tesla and have placed an order for the new model S (Long Range). The new car comes with a mobile charger and with an NEMA 14-50 Adapter I could charge the new car on the 240 V socket. I understand that I should get charging rate of 23 MPH.

What if I invest $500 and get a Tesla Wall connector. Will that give me much better charging rate on my 50 AMP 240 V circuit? What charging rate can I expect?

Thanks.