Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging on 110

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Expect painfully s l o w charging. 12 amps at 120V is only 1.44 kw. To go from 50% to 80% will require a minimum of 21 hours. That assumes all the energy consumed is going to the charge, which never happens. If you open a door, or sit in the car, you will likely consume way more than 1.44 kw. In that case even if you are plugged in, you will still have a net drain. Honestly, charging from a 120V, 15 amp circuit, is not practical. Technically, it can work, but you will definitely not be driving very much.

Upvote 0
Yeah, 120V charging at 12A is really only to be used as a last resort. If you had a 20A receptacle (left prong has a sideways slot), then you could charge at 16A and that is significantly better.

But the real answer is to figure out how to charge with 240V. Here are some tips and information about charging from 120V, including a calculator at the bottom which shows how much more expensive it is vs 240V charging: Advice for EV Charging in North America

Reactions: FastEddieB
Upvote 0
I dont know what amps on my app to select. Do i use the highest available?
Just plug the charger into the car, select 48 amps, the car will take care of itself unless you want reduced charging. Pretty soon the screen it the car will say the correct amps.

120v / 20a is going to be really, really slow. Sometimes it uses all charging power just to keep the battery at the correct temperature. You’ll have to charge during peak rates too. Any chance you can get some more amps / volts to charge from?

Upvote 0
120v/12amp would work just fine if you drive under 60 miles a day on average. I have had no problem charging our 2023MSLR on 120v/12a since my average weekly drive so far has been less than 300 miles. It won't we that little going forward but then whenever I need to go on a long trip I would just charge at SC. Having said that, if getting wall charger (240v) is an option then one should do it. Overhead with 120v is very high since car is awake much longer while charging with 120v.

Upvote 0