Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging vs Supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same as Russell here.

University installed Lv2 all around campus as part of Green Initiative with plans to change all University vehicles to EV so charging is free at this point while at work. I usually charge that last couple hours of my shift which replaces what I use on daily commute plus a little.

Closes SC is 40-50 miles away (they are building on here but not online yet) so SC charging isn't a real option. I would probably us SC more once the local on is up and running just so other non Tesla EV owners could use the campus ones.

Last option would be home charging which I have NEMA 14-50 available or a slower TT-30 plug if I'm really not in a hurry.

There is a 20 stall SC station literally in my office parking lot, so I almost solely Supercharge. I’ve got lifetime free SC, so it’s a no brainer
I do have the Tesla wall charger at home, but only use it to top off from time to time as I live about 15 miles from my office

I have seen no degradation as a result of the almost solely Supercharging and even (GASP!!) typically charge to over 90%

The extensive study by European owners has, in fact, show him that moderate supercharging actually increases the battery life, not decreases it. There's lots of theories as to what and why. Take your pick!
Lots of theories why high heat is good for lithium ion batteries? High heat as the friend of lithium ion batteries sounds like pure nonsense.

Regardless, I wouldn’t shy away from a Tesla if I had to Supercharge frequently. But I certainly wouldn’t brag about it if I wanted to sell the car:)

Last edited:
I was stressed out on my last road trip as I see more and more people just use supercharger instead of home charging to save a few dollars. I live 2 miles away from a 40 chargers supercharger station and my daughter has a supercharger station almost just outside of her community gate and both of us simply charge at home. We are not wealthy and don't mind paying a few dollars for home charging and let people on road trips use those chargers, we are probably in the minority.

Reactions: gavine
I charged at home for a year. Then, when a Supercharger opened up 1/2 a mile from my work, I thought I'd try it out for a month, i.e., not charge at home and supercharge every 2 to 3 days.

I Supercharged about 4 times before calling it quits. Nothing beats waking up to a "full tank" every day and not worrying if I can make that last leg after 3 days of not charging to/from work. Come to think of it, there's nothing convenient about it, even though the very idea of having access to Superchargers for your Tesla is awesome.

On road trips, it doesn't bother me or my family a bit. It's a necessary thing.

If you have the ability to charge at home, it is way more convenient. Depends how much an hour of your time is worth I guess.....
I don't know anyone with the ability to charge at home who chooses to charge exclusively at superchargers. As others have posted, a great many of us don't have options for charging at home. I have a 110 outlet and that is it. I can get by on this most days but when I come back from big road trips, I often stop at a local supercharger to replenish the battery before heading home.

Time will tell how this plays out.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I don't know anyone with the ability to charge at home who chooses to charge exclusively at superchargers. As others have posted, a great many of us don't have options for charging at home. I have a 110 outlet and that is it. I can get by on this most days but when I come back from big road trips, I often stop at a local supercharger to replenish the battery before heading home.

Time will tell how this plays out.

I agree, matter of fact that is what urban chargers are intended for. However the way OP phrased their question, it sounds like they have an ability to charge at home.

I charged at home for a year. Then, when a Supercharger opened up 1/2 a mile from my work, I thought I'd try it out for a month, i.e., not charge at home and supercharge every 2 to 3 days.

I Supercharged about 4 times before calling it quits. Nothing beats waking up to a "full tank" every day and not worrying if I can make that last leg after 3 days of not charging to/from work. Come to think of it, there's nothing convenient about it, even though the very idea of having access to Superchargers for your Tesla is awesome.

On road trips, it doesn't bother me or my family a bit. It's a necessary thing.
This ^

It would be a huge nuisance to rely on superchargers. I live only a few miles from one (a “fast” SC) which, after the Model 3 became very popular, frequently has lines. If you end up eating at a restaurant once a week while supercharging you have probably spent many times more than the electricity would have cost at home (and maybe more $ than the gas cost in an ICE).

Lots of theories why high heat is good for lithium ion batteries? High heat as the friend of lithium ion batteries sounds like pure nonsense.

Regardless, I wouldn’t shy away from a Tesla if I had to Supercharge frequently. But I certainly wouldn’t brag about it if I wanted to sell the car:)

I think the theory being put forward is that it is the TIME at high temperature that is the lithium ion battery killer. So the idea goes that you can supercharge and spend less time at high temperature than if you slow charge. Assumption here is that the pack is at that high temp and the cooling system is regulating temperature in both cases.

To the original question... My DC to AC ratio is 12:1. Primarily because I use the car for long trips. I do have a convenient SuC and do use it when I need to visit Lowes (which is often enough!) Otherwise 40A/240v at home via an OpenEVSE J1772.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I think the theory being put forward is that it is the TIME at high temperature that is the lithium ion battery killer. So the idea goes that you can supercharge and spend less time at high temperature than if you slow charge. Assumption here is that the pack is at that high temp and the cooling system is regulating temperature in both cases.

To the original question... My DC to AC ratio is 12:1. Primarily because I use the car for long trips. I do have a convenient SuC and do use it when I need to visit Lowes (which is often enough!) Otherwise 40A/240v at home via an OpenEVSE J1772.

There was a study not too long ago that showed just the right amount amount of heat inside each particular cell could actually cause the dendrites to collapse back. It's possible that that's what's happening with supercharging. As you said, not too much heat, and for not too long. But, as I said many times before, we supercharge 3 or 4 times a week, often to 100% or close, have a hundred and fifty thousand miles on the car and still get a 250-mile range. Tesla protects their batteries exceptionally well!

I was wondering who, if anyone, does not charge their car at home and only uses Superchargers or other charging options.

Is it a nuisance to do this or do you find it not a big deal?

Am a new owner of an M3 LR living in an apartment with no garage! I am afraid I will be forced to use the SC 7 miles away twice a week. Being an engineer who has analyzed thermo-mechanical-fatigue failures, I realize what rapid heat up and cool down cycles can do. I am sure the Tesla engineers know about this and design their BMS to alleviate the situation. Still would like to avoid using SCs frequently.

For now using 120V outlets in the apartment common grounds (after getting their permission), paid and free L2 chargers in the area, all of which are a hassle. [parking spots taken, inconvenient and out of the way]

Desparately seeking a garage with my own outlet NEMA 5-20 or 14-50.

I was wondering who, if anyone, does not charge their car at home and only uses Superchargers or other charging options.

Is it a nuisance to do this or do you find it not a big deal?

Thanks!

I miss charging at home. It's been almost a year since I moved so I SC once a week except when traveling back to the East Coast of Florida. I make the most of my SC trip as there are one or two stores that I will visit and it's a nice walk. However, our house that is being built will be finished at the end of summer (or so) and one of my *first* tasks will be getting my HWPC installed.

Traffic going to the SC can be annoying. For some reason, folks just like to stop on I-75 and look around... o_O

I am sure the Tesla engineers know about this and design their BMS to alleviate the situation. Still would like to avoid using SCs frequently.
Don't worry about supercharging harming the batteries. The cars are designed for it. I've 75,000 miles on my Tesla (and that's on top of the 17,000 on it when I purchased it). Over 50,000 of those miles is via supercharger network. If you really want to protect your battery, do these things: 1) Don't drive to zero percent state of charge. Ever. Rule of thumb: stay above 10% even though Elon says you can go much lower. 2) Only charge to 100% when you absolutely need it. 90% is the recommended daily charge level. 3) If you do charge to 100%, don't let the car sit for long periods of time. Charge and go. 4) Since you have a Model 3, always set the supercharger as your destination in your navigation and turn on navigation. With the latest software revs, the Model 3 will begin conditioning your battery as you approach the supercharger so it is in an ideal state to accept power.

As for your apartment. I feel your pain. I also use a 120 outlet at home. All we can do is keep making the case that charging is important. In the not-too-distant future, condos and apartments that continue to prohibit and prevent charging infrastructure will find it harder and harder to attract new residents. If you cannot make progress where you live, vote with your wallet and move to an apartment that is more friendly to EVs when you find one.

As for your apartment. I feel your pain. I also use a 120 outlet at home. All we can do is keep making the case that charging is important. In the not-too-distant future, condos and apartments that continue to prohibit and prevent charging infrastructure will find it harder and harder to attract new residents. If you cannot make progress where you live, vote with your wallet and move to an apartment that is more friendly to EVs when you find one.

Thanks for your tip on SCs and how Tesla is protecting the batteries - this why I decided to by an M3 instead of Leaf (Plus). On the apartment situation, found a place with a garage. Waiting to run out my leaf.

Reactions: theflyer
I also don't have a charger at home. So far it had not been a big deal, however I researched a bit in my area on where there are chargers if all types and how it would affect my usual routine.

It actually turned out better than expected as tons of the chargers around me are free (as well as free supercharging). I've paid for charging exactly once last month.

Most of my driving is in-city or nearby. If I were to do more long distance driving, I think not having charger at home would be far less feasible, or at the least, very annoying.

But, for long distance driving, there's very likely to be a Supercharger en route so really not an issue.

The issue I have with it is if I'm heading up the coast, as I occasionally do, and I'm not fully charged already, I have to schedule in an extra 30-60 minutes, depending on how busy the superchargers are. And if I were to go a decent distance everyday, or several times a week, I REALLY wouldn't want to be tacking on 30 minute charges every time.

Whereas with normal commuting or mall visits or whatever the hell I'm doing locally, I don't really care about my charge as I'm not going far, and by the time I'm done with my errand or what not, my car is charged.

That's the big deal with home chargers. You never have to think about how much charge you start with.

Charge at destinations. Charge at home. Both take no effective time from whatever I'm doing. Charge in the middle of a drive... that sucks, even if it's a supercharger.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and rsg123