Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
47 years old, and today I learnt that ‘gas tumble driers’ are a thing!
Haha yeah, wife loves it! An hour for a full load and she doesn't have to suffer me bitching about high energy devices during peak time. Plus it's still cheaper to run than a heat pump drier and takes 1/3rd the cycle time.
Launderette dryers are usually gas because of the high and instant heat.
I'll get back under my nerd rock now. 😜

• Informative
Reactions: thax1
Can someone tell me how you charge off peak (so between midnight at 6am). I know you can set departure time but how do you do it in the app? I think there is a 3rd party app you can do it in
I use a very low tech approach. Both of our cars add near enough to 10% charge per hour. I have the charging set to begin at 11.30pm and adjust the charging limit if needed to be certain target is reached during the lower rate period. Not elegant but it works reliably.

If you can go with a wall charger and higher voltage do it.

The issue with low voltage “granny charging” is you sometimes use more, if not all, power running fans cooling or heating the batteries. I’ve seen charging at 1 mph durning low voltage charging. In the long run some are spending more money trying to save money. It makes no sense.

This is very rare, can’t say I’ve personally seen this happen.

Btw, the voltage stays the same unless you’re on 3 phase. It’s the current that increases with using a wall charger. Granny charger will provide around 2.3kW which is plenty for a lot of people on low mileage.

Reactions: MrBadger
Not a dumb question at all, it's also for capturing the excess solar and discharging that in the evening. I'm on the original legacy Feed In Tariff so right now being paid a smidge over 60p per kWh just for generation, then 50% again of what I generate as presumed export. Except that I don't export anything since it gets stored, though I still get paid for deemed export.
The ability to also charge at very low rates and discharge when it's expensive is part of the integration and my battery has a specific integration with Octopus Agile to achieve this.
You're not missing anything, it's an option to fully charge it cheap and discharge it later and that's what I was doing. My Agile rate average is still cheaper than the previous Economy 7 rate that I was on with Scottish Power and yes, I could do IOG but prefer to reduce the stress on the battery.

Like I said, lots of options with all this stuff, everyone has a slightly different perspective on it and different costing may work out to favour one option or the other. No single answer.

My battery warranty covers 10 years or 6000 cycles, so itll run out of years before cycles. It's LFP so I'm not very concerned about a daily charge in the darker months, it's currently rarely getting to below 70% before my cheap rate kicks in each night and the house is then powered from the grid for 6 hours.

My battery warranty covers 10 years or 6000 cycles, so itll run out of years before cycles. It's LFP so I'm not very concerned about a daily charge in the darker months, it's currently rarely getting to below 70% before my cheap rate kicks in each night and the house is then powered from the grid for 6 hours.
Yep, mines pretty much the same but with two of us working at home and a fairly hefty smart home setup, my constant load can sometimes be 100% to near zero or zero in winter.
I may change again yet but giving Agile a run to see how that pans out. The other factor with 100% stretching of the battery is that it's not particularly efficient. I was charging a 12kWh battery, needing about 14kWh to charge it, then getting about 9 to 10kWh back. Of course that extra 4kWh would *only* be 30p per day on IOG but it is a factor and exceeds some of my recent daily total costs.
I've also just built a big shed with a plan for more solar at some point but diminishing returns and it would be a separate system of course.
It's this stuff that causes the ICE only folk with zero experience to have their heads explode. They see an anti EV video where someone finds an expensive charger, states £42 to get 150 miles and they then extrapolate that to be "more expensive than my 20 year old diesel" without comprehending the whole picture of what's possible.
However I digress, with kit we have options to explore and it's a big numbers game at the end of the day. 👍

Pod Point are just on the general list with most other make of chargers, you need to connect IOG through Tesla and use pod point as a dumb charger. Only Ohme, MyEnergi (Zappi) and 1 other (Wallbox I think?) are compatible with IOG at the moment
Thank you.

I am trying to switch from OG to IO but unable to perform an action error message when I click switch tariff. Have sent a message to octopus but anything else I can do to move to the next step?
I left this message on the other thread but not much of response. Does anyone know any troubleshooting tips to move to the next step? I am still waiting for octopus to respond - my past experience with them had been sometime they take ages to respond to any questions.

Thank you.

I left this message on the other thread but not much of response. Does anyone know any troubleshooting tips to move to the next step? I am still waiting for octopus to respond - my past experience with them had been sometime they take ages to respond to any questions.
When I initially tried to connect our Zappi charger it kept throwing up a error although can’t quite remember what it was, I contacted them through X (Twitter) they seem very responsive there, they passed onto a tech who reset something and it then connected first time I tried after that but as I say may be a different issue

Reactions: spdpsba