Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home deliveries?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla still do home deliveries? Do they do fewer of them right now because of end of quarter rush?

Maybe this is specific to deliveries in Colorado, but I have a co-worker who lives farther from the Littleton delivery center than me, and was able to get a home delivery. I was not offered that option (IIRC, my address was out of range) but I live closer to the delivery center than he does.

I suspect it also is dependent on the number of employees that are willing to play Santa and deliver cars in person, many coming from other states and areas of the company. Assume they are willing to do so and flying out to spend time with their out-of-town families for the holiday so double nice for them. Believe Tesla reimburses them and pays for their Uber/Lift back to the Delivery Center.

Have read some interesting home delivery accounts in the past. One of the guys I know here in the Bay area had a daughter working there and last year she volunteered. He said she love doing it. Another guy got his delivered by one of the engineering team members and enjoyed chatting with him. One of the guys I spoke to from out of state said he was single and loved the opportunity to travel and see different parts of the country.

I think after the last day of the quarter everyone gets some welcome time off. Factory will then be gearing up for overseas orders and not as hands on intense for these guys working with deliveries. Of course the other departs of Tesla gets busy, like accounts.

when i ordered an AWD LR, the order page listed home delivery as my delivery method. when i switched to P3D- the delivery method immediately changed to the fremont hub.

not sure why since neither fremont nor my home moved as a result of this change :)

I feel like an idiot but I don't remember if I choose home delivery on the order or not. How do I find out if I'm scheduled for home delivery or not. I live about a mile from Fremont factory, if that makes any difference. Ordered a SR+/white/white/no-FSD on 11/2.

I feel like an idiot but I don't remember if I choose home delivery on the order or not. How do I find out if I'm scheduled for home delivery or not. I live about a mile from Fremont factory, if that makes any difference. Ordered a SR+/white/white/no-FSD on 11/2.

my account says:

Delivery Appointment at Fremont Delivery Hub

in the right sidebar of the reservation status page. i assume it would say home delivery in the same spot, but now i can't remember if that's what mine looked like. the status page changes format when the VIN becomes available and there is a list of tasks to perform.

Home delivery in North Seattle this coming Friday, which will be interesting due to the old narrow streets.
The vids I've seen show full-up car carriers. That ain't gonna fit.
Do they sometimes actually just drive them to you with a chase car?

I would avoid home delivery if at all possible. My car was scheduled for home delivery and I just told them no, I won’t do that. I want to pick it up at the service center. So they went ahead and changed it. We get so many people on this forum who do home delivery and then post the next day about all the things they either missed or felt obligated to ignore because the car was sitting in their driveway and there was nobody at Tesla to discuss their concerns. It’s much easier to reject a car you are not comfortable with at the delivery center than in your driveway. Tesla knows this which is why they implemented it in the first place.

You don’t want go get stuck with a car that has a long “due list” of things that need to be fixed. The service center can usually either fix things on the spot or let you know what would be involved in doing the repairs. The guy delivering the car to your home doesn’t have any clue about any of this stuff. Just don’t do it.

• Disagree
Reactions: SMAlset and Sherlo
Home delivery in North Seattle this coming Friday, which will be interesting due to the old narrow streets.
The vids I've seen show full-up car carriers. That ain't gonna fit.
Do they sometimes actually just drive them to you with a chase car?

Generally from what I've read if you live in an area where a car carrier will be restricted, they will contact you by phone while on their way and ask you to meet them in a shopping center or other such large lot where the car can be unloaded with plenty of available space around and easier for them to get back on the road to deliver the next one.

Now here in the Bay area I've read owners' accounts of the car was driven to them and after meeting up with the owner, the Tesla employee driver would call for an Uber/Lift to pick them up and take them back to the DC probably for more home deliveries.

@OCR1 I'm going to disagree with the "Tesla knows this which is why they implemented it in the first place". Many home deliveries go just fine and a lot of people love them. The Delivery Center in Fremont was fully packed with buyer, their families (try not to bring your kids) and Tesla delivery staff when I got my car and really there was no room for other employees to set up to work with people. They know how many cars they have to process to get in the hands of people and those taking home delivery free up space in what would be an even more crowded delivery center if it was even possible to squeeze more people in. Plus people get their car possibly sooner as only so many appointments can physically be made in a day. Don't forget people have a 7-day window to drive and inspect their car and people have had issues addressed later in many cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sherlo
I had the Tesla Home Delivery in September, and I was happy about it. It saved me a lot of time.

I actually had Tesla delivered the car (a 2019 Model S LR) to my office, which was about 27 miles away from the Tesla Factory at Fremont, California.

The driver called my office when he started leaving the factory, and he called again when he arrived to my office. He patiently walked me through the basic functions of the car, and answered all my questions.

The whole process was about 20 minus, and it well smoothly. He then took an Uber (I think) to go back to his office.

@OCR1 I'm going to disagree with the "Tesla knows this which is why they implemented it in the first place". Many home deliveries go just fine and a lot of people love them. The Delivery Center in Fremont was fully packed with buyer, their families (try not to bring your kids) and Tesla delivery staff when I got my car and really there was no room for other employees to set up to work with people. They know how many cars they have to process to get in the hands of people and those taking home delivery free up space in what would be an even more crowded delivery center if it was even possible to squeeze more people in. Plus people get their car possibly sooner as only so many appointments can physically be made in a day. Don't forget people have a 7-day window to drive and inspect their car and people have had issues addressed later in many cases.

Well, I don’t expect everyone to agree with me. But I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one.

First of all, the seven day return policy is a last resort. You will wait sixty days to get your money back and be banned from ordering the same trim for 12 months. You will not get your trade in back if you traded it in to Tesla so you may be without a car for an indefinite period of time. And if you took out a loan you will have to keep making loan payments until Tesla refunds the money to your bank. It’s a complete mess and should only be used as a last resort.

Tesla makes way too many promises to fix things only to reneg after you sign the paperwork.

Here are two examples from just today:

Minor damage found after delivery
Red - Bumper color does not match body, service refused

The guy delivering your car to your home will have an Uber driver right behind him. If anything is wrong with your car he will give you a vague non-committal response that Tesla “should” fix that. There is nobody there to ask questions or look at the issue and determine a course of correction. You will feel rushed and will not be given sufficient time to inspect the car before being pressured to sign papers.

In theory I suppose you can take all the time you want. But with the guy standing there next to his Uber driver letting you know how many more cars he has to deliver you are going to be put in a very awkward spot.

With the delivery center you can simply let the advisor know you need 45 minutes to inspect your car. I always inform them to move on to the next customer and I’ll let them know when I’m ready. They have always been very accommodating. This is based on five deliveries in the past 12 months at the Costa Mesa service center.

Home delivery can work great if everything on the car is perfect. But when there are issues it’s very awkward. That’s why I never recommend it to anyone who asks me.

Believe that during the final rush, you may be offered home/office delivery if the service/delivery center is overwhelmed.

Don't beilive this is something you can demand, but only request.

It will be a mad rush at the end of the year. Tesla will be doing everything it can to get as many into customers hands as possible.

It is more efficient for Tesla to use their centers to schedule deliveries, but only if it is fully booked will they do the home service.

Imagine that an employee can do 2-3 X more deliveries by staying in the center.

• Love
Reactions: jmatero
i believe at least in the Bay area during home deliveries the paperwork is brought to you with the keys, so you don’t have to sign for it at home either. And payment is done then too. Also read buyer’s posting they told the delivering person they were going to take their time looking over the car and did, in fact one guy above. As for the return policy you are faced with those decisions whether you have delivery at the delivery center or at home.

5 deliveries in the last 12 months. Are you the member here who took out a caliper to measure panel gaps btw? Just wondering. If so did they let you order another car?

i believe at least in the Bay area during home deliveries the paperwork is brought to you with the keys, so you don’t have to sign for it at home either. And payment is done then too. Also read buyer’s posting they told the delivering person they were going to take their time looking over the car and did, in fact one guy above. As for the return policy you are faced with those decisions whether you have delivery at the delivery center or at home.

5 deliveries in the last 12 months. Are you the member here who took out a caliper to measure panel gaps btw? Just wondering. If so did they let you order another car?

No, I don’t own a set of calipers. And I’ve never returned a car so why wouldn’t they let me order another one? I have a very good relationship with the service center and they have always treated me very professionally. If home delivery works for you so be it. Most people will not want to hold up a delivery guy while they spend 45 minutes inspecting a car. This forum is filled with people who rushed through the delivery and then posted their negative experiences about trying to get things fixed after signing papers. I’m not sure why you are so stuck on your point here. It may work for you but I maintain it’s not the ideal solution for most people.

We just had two home deliveries which was strange because SA informed us when we ordered we live too far away for home delivery (27 miles)???

1st Delivery: Super nice guy that was very helpful setting up cell phones and explaining a lot of things about the car. Rate 5 out 5

2nd Delivery: Complete opposite of first guy. Dude didn't have a clue about anything about the car and had no idea how to set my wifes phone up just to open door. Handed us card keys and was history. Rate 1 out of 5

As far as doing home delivery vs. DC, there are pros and cons to each I guess and simply a matter of personal choice.
We were not worried about getting lemon because we have 7 days to return for full refund. Other little manufacturing issues will be taken care of at SC or mobile as long as we inform Tesla right away.

Guess we were fortunate that both SR+ didn't have any major issues. Wife has a software issue with Sentry and a gouge on steering wheel. Both will be taken care of after the Holidays.:)

If we saw it at the DC it would have been the exact same thing. Who is really going to reject their car they have been waiting months for. Tesla will fix everything so I don't understand the paranoia.

We live hundreds of miles from the closest Tesla place, and we're trading in our Leaf, which doesn't have fast charging. I'm guessing they'll be sending a truck.

I hope it's a better truck than the one used to deliver our Leaf:

Q4PE0X5.png

• Funny
Reactions: AZjohnInCA