Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Link Automatic Garage Opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to remove the frunk interior trim in order to get to the upper bumper bolts. It really isn't hard. My friend and I removed my bumper in 10 minutes so that I could install a used homelink module from Ebay. I then only needed the service center to do a reconfiguration to get Homelink to pop up on the MCU. It was super cheap this way.
Did you need to take it to the service center or did they do it remotely? I installed one from eBay and tried to get my mobile service guy to do it remotely but it didn’t work. Also, did they charge anything to do the reconfiguration?

Did you need to take it to the service center or did they do it remotely? I installed one from eBay and tried to get my mobile service guy to do it remotely but it didn’t work. Also, did they charge anything to do the reconfiguration?
No, I scheduled an appointment with my local service center because it is only 5 minutes away. I cannot speak to whether a mobile unit can do it. I do not want to say exactly what I was charged for the configuration but it was very cheap. I recommend asking you local center what they would charge and make sure they know you already installed the module.

Reactions: Chaetagnath
Anyone have a link to video instructions for installing the HomeLink module?
Remove the bumper as detailed here:

On mine, which is a performance, the clip which holds the module was there:

3CAF9148-4C9A-4F67-8BA9-77C0608BA9F0.jpeg

Module just slides in and clips on:

6410B014-6B5A-456A-92F8-CE4E25D249C6.jpeg

The wire is taped behind the bracket which the clip is mounted on. Just loop it around, plug it in, and reinstall bumper. Voila.

37B10460-233D-4D73-9C89-32B171DF0A64.jpeg

Now get service to configure so your car sees it.

Attachments

• 1C1AF6E8-CF88-4D34-8176-AAA039D984A2.jpeg
    1C1AF6E8-CF88-4D34-8176-AAA039D984A2.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 149
^ Thanks very much, Chaetagnath! That is fantastic info for do-it-yourselfers.

The guy in the video says, "I've done this so many times" (and I absolutely believe him), and then has such a hard time removing the hidden bumper screws at 1:57, that I was instantly convinced to let Tesla Service install the HomeLink should I buy one. LOL.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
There are Internet based programs that will use geolocation to do the same thing and works more reliably than my garage door that I use it exclusively because I got tired of door moving partially up only to have it stop then I have to push button just to bring it back down and start over again.

You're also able to monitor whether your door is open or not and give you notifications on your phone so you can close it anywhere in the world assuming your Internet is working. You can build one yourself for about $10 in parts or $50 if you want to buy the retail product.

There are Internet based programs that will use geolocation to do the same thing and works more reliably than my garage door that I use it exclusively because I got tired of door moving partially up only to have it stop then I have to push button just to bring it back down and start over again.

You're also able to monitor whether your door is open or not and give you notifications on your phone so you can close it anywhere in the world assuming your Internet is working. You can build one yourself for about $10 in parts or $50 if you want to buy the retail product.

Does that integrate with Summon? Optionally fold the mirrors on approach?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Does that integrate with Summon? Optionally fold the mirrors on approach?
No obviously. First of all, I wouldn't trust summon in a garage. And considering the majoring of the time I back my car into the garage, so I need my mirrors until I manually have to fold them. Then again, it's a PITA with a Model 3 as opposed to a Model S. Isn't there already an option within the car to fold your mirrors now on approach so that's already not part of HomeLink integration.

I mean if you want to say something meaningless like that, does your car tell you when your garage is open or closed or remind you when it has been open for X amount of minutes, or automatically close after a certain time?

My point is, HomeLink doesn't work very well for me on both my Teslas. Perhaps it is my garage door opener (very old static code) and I've considered changing it out for some type of Jackshaft.

No obviously. First of all, I wouldn't trust summon in a garage. And considering the majoring of the time I back my car into the garage, so I need my mirrors until I manually have to fold them. Then again, it's a PITA with a Model 3 as opposed to a Model S. Isn't there already an option within the car to fold your mirrors now on approach so that's already not part of HomeLink integration.

I mean if you want to say something meaningless like that, does your car tell you when your garage is open or closed or remind you when it has been open for X amount of minutes, or automatically close after a certain time?

My point is, HomeLink doesn't work very well for me on both my Teslas. Perhaps it is my garage door opener (very old static code) and I've considered changing it out for some type of Jackshaft.

Sounds like you're set then. Cheers.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Why DIY when they install it for free? Can you buy it elsewhere other than Tesla? They still need to push the SW update.
Well, there are many reasons. Some people
Don’t live near a service center. Also, tesla has been very slow in filling these orders. In my case I did order it from Tesla, in June. I then emailed them to ask if mobile
Service could install. A month later I received a reply that they had no record
of my order, I immediately replied with a screen shot of my confirmation email. Then I heard nothing. After two weeks I emailed
Them and asked them to cancel. Since I really wanted it, and don’t mind taking my bumper off, I ordered it off eBay and installed it. Now I just need them to activate it. Had I gone the eBay route to begin with, I would have saved a lot of time and frustration.

Reactions: hoang51
Well, there are many reasons. Some people
Don’t live near a service center. Also, tesla has been very slow in filling these orders. In my case I did order it from Tesla, in June. I then emailed them to ask if mobile
Service could install. A month later I received a reply that they had no record
of my order, I immediately replied with a screen shot of my confirmation email. Then I heard nothing. After two weeks I emailed
Them and asked them to cancel. Since I really wanted it, and don’t mind taking my bumper off, I ordered it off eBay and installed it. Now I just need them to activate it. Had I gone the eBay route to begin with, I would have saved a lot of time and frustration.
Aren't you in the same situation where someone at Tesla has to do something? Sounds easier said than done judging from your e-mail correspondence.