Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink and back up camera display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When backing into my garage, I am not able to see a large portion of the main camera display. It is obscured by the black, Homelink box that drops down to allow me to select which door to open. If I touch the box in any way, it cancels or skips the auto open/close functionality. Is there a way to eliminate the black, drop-down Homelink box in reverse mode? As it is right now, it is dangerous. I can't see if there is anything in the garage that I might hit. In effect, I'm driving blind.

When backing into my garage, I am not able to see a large portion of the main camera display. It is obscured by the black, Homelink box that drops down to allow me to select which door to open. If I touch the box in any way, it cancels or skips the auto open/close functionality. Is there a way to eliminate the black, drop-down Homelink box in reverse mode? As it is right now, it is dangerous. I can't see if there is anything in the garage that I might hit. In effect, I'm driving blind.
Maybe a picture of your screen would be helpful

It's definitely annoying and would be better on the side of the screen so you can more easily see directly behind. When it automatically comes up to open/close the door it is somewhat transparent. I named mine L, R, and G for Left, Right, and Gate. The single letter makes it a bit easier to see through the box instead of having the words blocking the view as well.

I only find this to be a problem when the side cameras are displayed at the bottom of the screen, which pushes the rear camera display up higher on the screen and increases how much is blocked by the auto-Homelink dropdown box.

When the side cameras are minimized, the rear camera view moves lower on the screen and the auto-Homelink dropdown only covers a much smaller portion of the rear camera view, which I find to not be a problem.

So my workaround to this problem is to just keep the side cameras hidden (even tho I would prefer to have them displayed). But I still see it as a pretty bad design deficiency.

(Edit: I realize now that having 3+ doors/gates programmed in Homelink means the dropdown box will extend lower and block more of the screen than my 2 garage doors.)

ED2D6FFB-EC57-42B9-AEE0-D476A9F4B84C.jpeg

E55FA265-8A95-43B6-8B78-64E9035973C1.jpeg

Last edited:
I noticed this issue in the beginning. What I do now is:

- Choose the door I want to open through homelink
- Put the car in reverse
- Press the homelink icon and the dropdown menu of door choices disappears
- Backup camera view is now unobstructed and I backup as normal

Takes a few extra seconds, but better than trying to see through the homelink dropdown menu

Reactions: sleepydoc
I noticed this issue in the beginning. What I do now is:

- Choose the door I want to open through homelink
- Put the car in reverse
- Press the homelink icon and the dropdown menu of door choices disappears
- Backup camera view is now unobstructed and I backup as normal

Takes a few extra seconds, but better than trying to see through the homelink dropdown menu

I think the OP reported that minimizing the Homelink dropdown disabled the auto-close feature, which they were trying to avoid. Would this process still let the auto-close feature work?